How to choose the Right Teryx CDI - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How to choose the Right Teryx CDI

This seems to be the question of the week right now and the answer is fairly simply.

Quick details on the stock CDI: Kawasaki uses two timing curves in their stock CDI, one for 0-5 mph and the other one for above 5 mph. Below 5 mph the stock unit is limited to 10 degrees of advanced timing and then a total of 25 degrees above. I am writing this at home and can't remember what the top timing was, either 25 or 27 but either way it reduced for reliability. In the Brute Force, Kawasaki uses the 0-5 mph curve to limit power so that on a hill if you step on the gas you hopefully won't flip over backwards. Why they carried this over to the Teryx I don't know. This 0-5 mph curve is why the Teryx won't launch very well and hurts you in a binding situation like down in a mud bog.

On to the aftermarket:

There are only two brands no matter whose decal is on them, Velocity Devices and Dynatek. Since you can't buy a Velocity Devices unit right now because of some manufacturing issues then it comes down to either non-programmable or programmable Dynatek.

How do you choose between the two Dynatek units?

The person who would buy the non-programmable one is the person who absolutely knows he/she will never put in high compression pistons and who simply wants a plug and play unit that will add the much needed power of a advanced timing curve.

The timing curve in the non-programmable CDI is the same timing curve as curve #2 in the programmable one, they call it their High Performance curve. There are no additional outputs and no changes can be made to the unit.

This unit does do away with the 0-5mph timing curve, adds advance quickly, raises the rev limiter to 9000 rpm, increases top speed and removes the reverse limiter.

You can buy this one for $199.95 shipping included from us and Hunterworks doubles the warranty to two years. Yes I know you can buy it cheaper off E-Bay but think about the real human on the phone who can fully support it and gives a two year warranty.

The Programmable one:

This one is the one I would personally use because of the flexibility it offers.
The programmable one has all the features of the non-programmable one but adds a couple extra features. First and foremost it comes with four selectable timing curves which are selectable with dip switches attached to the CDI.

Curve #1 is a mild performance curve with a little less total timing than the high performance curve
Curve #2 is a high performance curve with the maximum amount of advance
Curve #3 is a timing curve that would used with high compression pistons which has less total timing than either of the two above.
Curve #4 also called stock curve is the same as the stock curve.

There are several outputs that allow you to use accessories such as nitrous which has a solenoid that can be controlled by one of these outputs based on RPM.

There is also a tach output so you can easily attach a tach to it.

What Hunterworks is doing special on the Programmable units is pre-installing our own timing curve in the stock curve location. If you need the stock curve then put your stock CDI back in. We program this curve with the optional programming kit. This curve is basically the same curve that is used in the Velocity Devices unit with a slight change. This curve has been tested on our Teryx and dyno and proven to add just a little more peak HP. This custom curve is no additional charge.

I am of the opinion that with these four curves you will always have the right curve no matter what you might want to do with your Teryx. Since we pre-programmed the fourth curve for you then you really have no need in buying the programmer unless you really like to play around with timing curves and you like the diagnostic functions of the software. Explained below.

Don't misunderstand this unit is just as plug and play as the non-programmable one. When it ships to you from Hunterworks it is ready to go and our custom timing curve is already selected.

Right now we are selling the programmable units at a reduced price of $299 with shipping which is $50 less than normal retail.

Optional Programming Kit:

The software allows you infinate adjustment to any of the four curves you want to make. It allows you to set your rev limiter higher than 9000 rpm if feel you need it or lower for that matter. There is also a diagnostic section that allows you to look at some date such as time at wide open throttle and other functions I can't remember at this moment in my recliner at home. The jest of this programmer is that with a computer which does not have to be next to the vehicle when you program the CDI allows a good bit of functionality to the CDI. I personally feel most people will not have a use for it but there are people like me who like to play around with it.

This programming kit is $100 with shipping.

My "opinion" and what I think is the best "value" is the programmable unit because of all the features and functionality. While I believe most people will opt for the non-programmable because of its simply plug and play and nothing else to think about.

Unlike single cylinder engines such as in the Rhino, a V-Twin will respond to advanced timing curves and either unit will make a night and day difference in performance in the Teryx.

What it really comes down to is, are the extra functions and control of the programmable CDI worth $100 to you and are you 100% sure you wont ever put high compression pistons in?

Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Wow that is great advice and what a well written topic. I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. It would be really easy to tell everyone to buy the programmable one but you didn't do this. I will be getting the non programmable and when I do I will order from you. It is down the list a little but as soon as I can I will order it from you. I have never bought anything or spoken with you but you seem to be a straight shooter thank you for that.

Too much is neverenough
2003 duramax dually for towing
2004 Gearbox toyhauler 30fs
2006 limited yfz 450 mine
2003 Pred 500 wifes
1986 4trax 250R sons
1997 300ex daughter
2006 250ex daughter
2008 Teryx ours
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:39 AM
CommanderTalk.com

What an excellent write-up to help potential buyers understand what they may want and what they may need.

Very nicely written Todd!

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:11 PM

Where does Hunterworks curve 4 fall relative to performacne as compared to curve 1 and 2? And how much advance relative to curve 2?

If I had to give up one over the other.....I'd take more low end grunt over top speed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments.

Our curve actually is less advance by one degree on max advance. The deal is you get all four and get to try them all.

Todd

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 PM

Question to hunterworks cdi

Can you run any of the programs on a stock Teryx? For instance, Option 3 is for high compression, would you do any damage if you accidently ran it on that? Would it run rich or lean, or would it just be slower? Can you run any option without the risk of damaging your engine?? Just curious, because I would be "THAT GUY" who did it by accident.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Yes my friend, you can run any of those on a stock Teryx. I am sure Todd will give a more indepth explanation, but to answer you question, yes.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the info. That answered all my questions. I ordered the non programmable unit yesterday from hunterworks. Next step is skid plates, probably DG or something along those lines. Tennessee bedrock is very unforgiving. Then Muzzy and an air filter. Thanks for all the info guys, this is a great site

2012 RZR XP900 chromoly cage, prp seats, rigid light bar, SSV, grim reapers on SS212's, Dirty Dawg clutch, Cognito Springs
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Sumo,

I won't say something will never hurt anything but curve #3 is the least performance because it is for high compression pistons therefore it has less timing which would be less performance with a standard piston.

So to answer your question, with a stock piston any curve should be fine. The danger comes when you put a high compression piston in there and then use a timing curve with too much advance.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Cdi

Wow Todd! I'm impressed, but if you ever saw my wife, you'd know that doesn't take much-just kidding-She's been super for 45 years & I think you know your stuff! I'm new to blogging & Teryxing, but appreciate the knowledge some of you have & the fact that you are willing to share with us neophytes. The dealer suggested I wait 'til after the 20 hr check-up before changing anything. That sounds logical to me, but was wondering if you or someone else out there knows more about that. Thanx, Harlow (Turtle)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement