Discussion Topic For Dalton Industries Clutch Kit - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Discussion Topic For Dalton Industries Clutch Kit

Dalton Industries has been kind enough to supply us with their new clutch kit for use on our Teryx build.

We are very excited to be working with them and are anxious to get the clutch kit installed on the machine.

More information may be found at:

http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasa...lutch-kit.html

You can also check out this installation video done by our very own member Magellan:

http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasa...all-video.html

You can check out the Dalton Industries website at:

Dalton Industries: ATV Products

Installation will be featured on the TeryxHQ Teryx build page while discussions will take place in this thread. If you have questions, comments, etc. please feel free to post them in this thread.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Build Sponsor

Here is a description of where we are at . We are not finished yet but getting there:

We have had quite a few calls on clutchig for the teryx. We intend to use some technology that we have used in snowmobiles the past couple of years. Our patented "Quick Adjust Cam Arms" allow you to add or subtract mass from the main body of the flyweight without even taking the weights out of the clutch or removing the clutch.We hope to be able to make available one kit that will be adaptable to stock,oversized tires,altitude,mods,engine work,and even have the flexibility to adjust shift rpm for the requirements of long duration cams and big bores by the custom engine builders that specialize in these v-twins like FST and Fundy.

We have been gathering data on the stock machine for a few weeks. We have been testing stock tires,26 bighons,and 30" mudzillas all on a totally stock machine.We have gone through quite a bit of stuff and just started again with new prototype springs and weights. Awsome vehicle so far.

We will then go thru a series with typical bolt on mods like pipes and cdi box and a couple simple airbox mods,(that will be a quite typical application)....that way we can go back to stock after that and confirm a few things on the latest design of clutch stuff.

I appoligize for the delay being longer than I initially thought(and told some people),but as many of you guys on here know,it is not only about drag race results and rpm like some think. Some set ups that run great aren't necessarily really good,as they make the clutches extremely hot and you can't even get near them ....this type of thing is no good in the big picture,particularly on this machine where it is very enclosed,heavy,and will be run hard.Things are going very well,and we have some stuff that is working very well,but it takes time to get it thru all the steps before we produce it.At this point,we are not using ANYTHING that we already had for kawi clutches.

PIPES: I called a couple of pipe companies yesterday. Dragonfire have dual exhaust available now that looks and sounds cool. Very nice people. The pipes are only 1 1/4 duals though,which means that it is probably not too bad for a stock motor,but possibly not great for guys with big bores,etc from what we have learned from v-twins in the past. I suggested that he maybe should consider talking to the builders like Fundy and FST to see their requirements for race engines,big bores,etc ....and he says he does intend to do just that,and possibly offer another version for those applications

I also spoke with Muzzy,and they have pipes coming off the line next week,and they are built like the pro pipes with bigger equal length headers and a two into one into two design. I have a set coming next week to test with. They are very excited about their pipes and it sounds like rightfully so.Rob Muzzy is quite serious about his own Teryx too.I look forward to seeing them.

After that we will test modded engines. I have to sell this thing eventually(well maybe because I'm really liking it)..so I intend to put a stock bore Fundy kit in for a while. Ray is less than one hour away,so it should be pretty quick to get it in there once we are ready.

I have personally had the clutches off this thing at least 150 times. In the coming weeks we intend to do a lot more to get though all the stuff we plan.It is not fun for first timers to tear into the clutch on this one with removing a zillion screws and the fuel tank and such to get at it,so a good set up manual for different applications is important .

A side note is that this rig IS geared lower and runs out of belt fairly quickly on hard pack with stock tires on it. Our v-force overdrive cover helps,but this thing is geared a lot lower than a v.On one of the primaries,I recently cut about just 1/4 of a degree of sheave angle and cut some overdrive into it to test with(please do not ask us for that service as we do not offer it...see vforcejohn if you would like to experiment with that)...but it should help get 25's and 26's to higher speeds without the limiter so early.

A good thing about this kit will be that even if you are a type that loves to tinker....and you are always wondering if you should have heavier or lighter weights ,etc(regardless of what we say in set up instructions or the internet tells you to do,or whatever)...it will all be there and you will be able to change it easily to prove to yourself that you have the best set up for your application with a bit of testing.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Thanks so much for the update, I am convinced your kit will be perfect once it is released!

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Build Sponsor

Making good progress. We worked the past few days with Fundy Performance Sports on a 800 full race prototype engine they built. This engine is not even remotely close to any regular 800 big bore kit out there,it runs very large valve,and cylinderhead that had a bigger intake tract welded into it,and some real agressive cams. This thing came off the engine dyno with 120-140 crank hp(depending on airbox configuration,etc).We learned some good info.

We will be testing a more typical trail version of engine kit soon,that will be more common in the marketplace . Most people that know kawi v-twins well,know that companies like Fundy and Four Stroke Tech have spend considerable time in the past few years very devoted to this engine platform.Clutching for these guys is not the same as any of the off the shelf cheap 800 piston and especially the camshafts. The engines(specifically camshafts )that WORK on these kawi v-twin with a cvt tranny are not the off the shelf type. The cams with the proper lift ad duration to really make this thing come alive require pistons from these guys that have the required valve releif to go with their cams. As many people know in the kawi v-twin world....any cam that will work with a stock piston ,...is not even in the same league as the ones from these builders that specialize.At least that has been our experience(and we have tested many) in the past few years.We intend to install a FUNDY standard bore kit this week and continue testing.

Muzzy Pipes are the stuff!!!! I am VERY impressed. Definate good power gain,...definate cool sound(not some blatty racket,just a cool v-8 type sound),..and not to mention they look great!.

We should have some production clutch kits out within a few weeks that have enough flexibility to grow with you as you modify your teryx.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

This is fantastic news, thank you for keeping us all in the loop and the time dedicated to make it just right for Teryx owners!

As for the Muzzys exhaust, I could not agree more with you!

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM

Great write up dale!! Glad to see you guys have done a ton of testing on the T-REX so we (consumer) will have a great product the first time out. I know you have been talking to Mickey (FST) about your clutch kits, I will be doing a Teryx buildup with him later this summer, it will feature his standard bore kit, your recomended clutch kit and muzzys along with alot of other goodies. Keep up the excellent work and keep us posted.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Build Sponsor

I hope to be testing standard bore kit soon Xchamp.

This vehicle is a bit more to it for clutching than I originally expected,buy mostly because I'm getting a bit nit picky. Normally with something like a standard bore kit you want high rpm real fast,but on this one we have some of the other variables i first mentioned in this post with vehicle weight and belt heat ,etc. We want to keep a good all around package that is flexible and keep belt slip to a minimum and still get required rpm fairly quickly,without losing excessive flyweight mass. We are set on the curvature of the weight we will use,and still fooling with a few prototype springs and such. I need to get in touch with Mickey again soon,i've been busy lately.Keep in touch.

I fully expect from past experience,that the Muzzy pipes,CDI,and a standard bore kit from FST or Fundy will be awsome.Mix that proven combination from the atv world with this Teryx platform?...just cool man.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix View Post
I hope to be testing standard bore kit soon Xchamp.

This vehicle is a bit more to it for clutching than I originally expected,buy mostly because I'm getting a bit nit picky. Normally with something like a standard bore kit you want high rpm real fast,but on this one we have some of the other variables i first mentioned in this post with vehicle weight and belt heat ,etc. We want to keep a good all around package that is flexible and keep belt slip to a minimum and still get required rpm fairly quickly,without losing excessive flyweight mass. We are set on the curvature of the weight we will use,and still fooling with a few prototype springs and such. I need to get in touch with Mickey again soon,i've been busy lately.Keep in touch.

I fully expect from past experience,that the Muzzy pipes,CDI,and a standard bore kit from FST or Fundy will be awsome.Mix that proven combination from the atv world with this Teryx platform?...just cool man.
I am just waiting on you! I need kits for the std bore 11.5:1 pistons with my stage 2 cam, a kit for the 800 to 840 with my stage 3 cam and a kit for the big valve 13.5:1 full race CORR engine kit. Just ship them next week lol
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Build Sponsor

I'll be in touch next week Mickey. The great thing here is that this one kit will do ALL of those. We will just have to work through the proper "settings" for the kit for those applications. I have enough info now to know that we have the flexibility,...I just need to work with a couple of your guys with different configuration engines to help you get some reccommended starting settings for those engine packages.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix View Post
I'll be in touch next week Mickey. The great thing here is that this one kit will do ALL of those. We will just have to work through the proper "settings" for the kit for those applications. I have enough info now to know that we have the flexibility,...I just need to work with a couple of your guys with different configuration engines to help you get some reccommended starting settings for those engine packages.
Maybe it would be good to go out west in July and I will have one of each of these motors there to get the clutch tunning set up where most of these guys ride. This would give you a chance also to work with DragonFireRacing on selling your stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement