Drive Belts. - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Drive Belts.

We are a little late getting the clutching finished on the teryx,but will have it available soon.
We get a LOT of questions about drive belts. There are some Teryx guys out there having drive belt problems,it seems to be getting well known. A lot of this is to do with the fact that the belt deflection needs adjusted right away ,as they are too loose from the factory,..but it is also a lot of people with big tires in mud and learning the limits of the machine. This is a big heavy machine and sometimes in that thick sticky stuff,if you lose momentum with bigger tires,...and the vehicle is not moving,but you are still revving...you must let off the gas and get winched out. EVEN if your buddies are watching!,lol.

As for BELTS. People ask my opinion often,so here it is:

I think that with the type of vehicle (RUV) you get some new people that simply are not familiar with this cvt system as the atv crowd,so it needs mentioned. In the world of ATV's,..even if you look at many other forums,or ask some die hard mudder guys(the true test) about belts,you will find the overwhelming answer is that the stock OEM belt is far superior in most of their opinions.All you have to do is ask around,it is pretty well known and already tested by many.
I can certainly understand why people would look at aome aftermarket alternative that is not only a lot cheaper,..but it says things on the package like "heavy duty"..so ...you know,people try it.

In fact,I personally spent many years racing snowmobiles on a circuit. I used aftermarket belts from the big aftermarket belt companies that were actually superior to the stock in those times.Snowmobiles are a cold enviroment with open to the air clutches. For some reason it seems to be not as good to use the aftermarket on atv application where heat is more evident. In some snowmobile racing applications I DO recommend different aftermarket belts for different applications. Sometimes they are not only cheaper ,but are a better compound for the task at hand. SO FAR,we have not been able to say that on ATV applications. Particularly Outlander/can Am's and Kawasaki v-twins. The aftermarket ones seem to be not too bad on the constant grip variator type clutches on Suzuki and Yamaha(not as long life as stock probably),but acceptable.But on big cc v-twins with flyweight style clutches it does not seem so.

I certainly DO wish there was a great aftermarket alternative that I could say in my opinion was better than the OEM,as I do not liketo,or like to tell people to spend a higher price on something. Here is another thing to consider. Any dealership can sell you a factory Kawasaki belt at say 100$. That same dealership can usually offer you an aftermarket belt at a substantially lower price and more money on it than on the factory one. We could have our own private label belts repackaged and do very well at it,but at this point with what is available we choose not to.

The factory ,OEM belt on a kawi is made by a japanese company that also has a liscensed facility in North America. This company(said to be related to Mitsubisi) ONLY builds for OEM supply and does not offer aftermarket sales. They work only with manufacturers. THIS company is NOW the one that supplies the belts on most all of the high hp snowmobile offerings from Yamaha(1000ccR-1 four stroke),..the big twins from Bombardier,The big 1000 cc turbo Arctic Cat. The last two or 3 years in the snowmobile world have started to produce many stock machimes at around 165-175 hp. This belt manufacturer has been the one to step up,and most sled manufacturers have gone to it...that is FACT.
We only sell to dealerships,..over the years I have come to know hundreds of service managers at dealers that call. Many are excellent people that I've come to respect their opinions and enjoy talking with them. I seem to hear it over and over....now that we are a few years int the kawi v-twins and Can Am outlanders with big v-twin power,most have been through it and know . In fact at some point I hope the other aftermarkets can do something superior. I'm simply stating that in my opinion that in our experience,and GNCC racers that we have worked with(some that could have any belt they want for free) ,and with plenty of customer feed back from extreme conditions,..the OEM belt is better on a KAWi V-twin.
I have heard of people that do extreme mud recently on 800 Can Am outlander(which uses the same manufactuer for oem belt) ..some of these guys only get 5-600 miles even on a OEM belt because of what they do with the machine...they recently spent a weekend testing 2 different aftermarket belts.....one lasted not even a day,the other was done the second day. They now will only buy stock.And it seems like they are not"almost as good as stock one" or anything like that..the stock one seems quite superior.

I also often hear" well,I'll just get the aftermarket for a spare!"...which may be ok,...but don't forget....on something like a TERYX it is quite an ordeal to change it back to a stock one when you get home?...or are you going to leave it on? On my own Teryx I'll be using the stock belt.

I am only giving my own opinion based on our experience so far,because I get asked the question daily,I thought I might as well post it.

Last edited by helix; 05-24-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:57 AM

Helix, Thanks for the info on the belts. I haven't even had my 20 hr inspection yet, but when I heard some people were having belt problems, I began to wonder. I'm sure that at my age & the wooded areas I'll be riding I won't burn/break a belt as easily as the guys who are into the serious mudding, but it's still good to know for if/when.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Thank you for sharing this information. I often had wondered if those who have added big bore kits were more or less likely to experience belt issues. Sounds to me like checking the best deflection often could potentially lead to a longer belt life. Is there an indpection area for checking and adjusting the best deflection on the Teryx?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement