New Guy Needs Help with Performance Mods. - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Roo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New Guy Needs Help with Performance Mods.

Hello All. Thought I would take care of two birds with one stone.

1. Get my fist post out of the way and
2. Get some feed back on some bolt on performance.

I have a 2009 Monster Edition. So far I have cage, seats, and 4pt belts. Dual batteries w/isolator. Gauge package, Water temp, Oil Temp and Volts. And Four 4” HID’s. This thing is way fun. I have ridden bikes and quads for most of my riding years, so this is my first SxS. Should've done it years ago.

I am looking at either Muzzy Exhaust or DASA. MSD, Muzzy Digi-Tune or PCV programmers. Not sure if I want or "Need" to change the intake.

I am leaning towards Muzzy, and MSD and no intake for now. Does the MSD come pre-programmed for different configurations? If/when I do the intake do I have to send the MSD back to get reprogrammed? Later I plan to do a clutch kit with OD cover, would this also make a difference as far as top end being too lean and need further tuning?

I understand that ideally, one should dyno and have the car “tuned”. But how feasible is this every time one makes a change in setup or different riding conditions? I mainly ride Deserts in So. Cal all year round and Dune riding in the winter months.

Lots of questions and more to come. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Roo the MSD and Teryx is the best setup in my opinion and we ship the MSD pre-programmed for the Muzzy and a timing advance curve.

For a stock motor we don't think there is much gain on throttle bodies and definately not intake.

If you follow along with us as we go thru these mods we will have maps for every step of the way.

Todd

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Roo the MSD and Teryx is the best setup in my opinion and we ship the MSD pre-programmed for the Muzzy and a timing advance curve.

For a stock motor we don't think there is much gain on throttle bodies and definately not intake.

If you follow along with us as we go thru these mods we will have maps for every step of the way.

Todd
Todd, Thanks for the reply. Are the maps loaded prior to shipment to me for different configurations? Or would I have to send back the unit to get different maps as I add more performance mods, ie, intake, clutch etc?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:43 PM

You do not need to send the MSD out to have new maps put on. They can be downloaded from a computer. The MSD is very user friendly. Seeing as you are mostly riding in the So. Cal deserts you will lots of options for maps as time goes on no matter what setup you are running.

I currently have MSD maps for a
stock car, with Dasa pipes, Dasa filter kit.
FST 840, Muzzy pipes, Dasa filter kit, stock injectors.

Tomorrow we will be building more maps for the following setups.
FST840, Dasa pipes, Dasa filter kit, large injectors and
FST std bore, Dasa pipes, Dasa filter kit w/ and without quiet cores.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:44 PM

fairly sure you can update the msd via plugging it into your computer and download the new maps. new maps should come via email.

08 Teryx NRA LE, FST 840, VForce John Stage 3 Clutch Mod, DASA Filter & Plenum Rings, 09 Sport Shocks, Engine ICE, 27 inch BIGHORNS, Dynatek CDI, MUZZY Duals, HunterWorks Carb Kit, BRP Gas Gauge, Full cab from ShockPro's
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Roo,

They are right you can just get them via e-mail.

Just make sure what ever you buy as far as a mod is concerned they have the maps for exactly for what you have no matter who you buy it from.

Todd

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Roo,

They are right you can just get them via e-mail.

Just make sure what ever you buy as far as a mod is concerned they have the maps for exactly for what you have no matter who you buy it from.

Todd
Okay. Let me make sure I have this straight.

Lets say I want to do my mods in stages, (as money and the wife allow)

1st stage: Full exhaust (whatever brand). And at same time a programmer (TBD).
2nd stage add Intake or maybe leave stock (haven't decided yet). I know adding exhaust and intake made a HUGE difference on my 700 Raptor. With a programmer of course.
Then still later:
3rd stage add Clutch kit and clutch OD cover.

I have read on this or another forums even a clutch kit and OD cover could lean out the engine due to higher speeds and engine RPM's and load.

Would I have to let who ever I purchase the MSD from know this in advance so the proper maps can be loaded?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Would I have to let who ever I purchase the MSD from know this in advance so the proper maps can be loaded?
No ...... you can EASILY download the maps. I can e-mail you any of our maps PLUS all of our maps will be available on MSD's website.

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASARACING View Post
No ...... you can EASILY download the maps. I can e-mail you any of our maps PLUS all of our maps will be available on MSD's website.

You say "will be" But not at the moment? What's with MSD's web site? I can't find any info on their programmer for the Teryx. Is it still too new?

Thanks again all. I know I have many questions. Just don't want to make a HUGE $$$ mistake.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You say "will be" But not at the moment? What's with MSD's web site?
I have e-mailed MSD our dasa pipe map. They are working on updating the MSD site. Once it is updated you will see our maps there. For the meantime just PM me and i can send out a map.

Quote:
I can't find any info on their programmer for the Teryx. Is it still too new?
Yes ...... too new. MSD is working on it and it will all be on there very soon.

Quote:
Thanks again all. I know I have many questions. Just don't want to make a HUGE $$$ mistake.
No problem ...... i understand 110%

Sponsored Links
Advertisement