Muzzy Headers - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Muzzy Headers

Muzzy headers are running a bit hot. Although we have not had much trouble ourselves,Muzzy's have contacted us stating that they will be sending a new heat sheild for the front header pipe where it is close to the mag cover,as they have notice some excessive heat in that area. Good pro active stance on their part.

Today my header pipes are being ceramic coated by High Tech Mechanical Coatings here in Nova Scotia. He says he will do an extra step on top of the internal and externally coated ceramic chrome finish...he has another black coating that is for Turbo headers that goes on top of the regular ceramic that offers an additional 10% in heat resistance,so I told him to go ahead. High Tech claim that it has drastically reduced the "foot heat" in stock car racing applications he has been doing. I know the guy very well and trust his judgement.
I know this is a Canadian company,and many of you guys are in the US,but this extra step may be offered in other coating shops as well.

Just a thought. I think this process should drastically reduce the cabin heat for those that have mentioned it.

I also welded in the threaded bung for the Air /fuel ratio guage before the coating gets done.

I'll report on the heat issues after the coating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Thanks for the information...hmm I wonder if the shields would be sufficient or if I should get the coating done before the pipes go it.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
Thanks for the information...hmm I wonder if the shields would be sufficient or if I should get the coating done before the pipes go it.
Muzzy will be sending sheilds that will be fine and will fix the "plastic mag cover getting hot" issue,I'm just trying this,as it will also get rid of heat all together(no matter what pipes,even stock) in the front portion around the engine and get the heat out the back where it belongs.I also put the metal mag cover plate from a v-force on there ...I think it cost like 12$ to replace the plastic one that comes on the teryx.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:02 PM
CommanderTalk.com

I am really considering getting the headpipes coated...at the very least, as you said it will eliminate some heat. This will probably we a welcomed addition once the 840 kit goes on.

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

I just ran the headers again this morning after the coating. I will not be needing any heat sheilds.

This 2 step process has me sold. Ceramic inside and out and this extra black stuff on top of that. There is no heat issue with my Teryx. It takes a day longer according to High tech Mechanical coatings,...as they have to profile the ceramic and put on the black stuff,then it still has to go into the oven all over again.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 AM
CommanderTalk.com

The company I was talking to about coating my headers does the insides and the outsides. I do not know anything about this secondary outter coat though. Is there a specific material or term for it?

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 03:54 AM

How much does a ceramic coating cost?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 AM
CommanderTalk.com

You are probably looking at $150 to get the inside and outside coated.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Around 150 for ceramic and another 50 for the other stuff I beleive. I'm not really sure what Hi-Tech uses for that outer coating. There is a whole world out there of propeitary coatings and formulations.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wish Muzzy would sell them with the two layer heat removal process already installed. Charge me for it as an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement