840 questions??? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

840 questions???

after running my 840 a little more this week i finally opened it up...from dead stop to 60 mph goes really quick.and then it cuts out like its hitting the rev limiter..i dont it 3 times to make sure and at 60 mph it will cut out like the stock cdi did at 51mph..i have a standard dynatek cdi..what i cant understand is before the motor work...i run my teryx on a down hill run and it run 64 mph and never hit a rev limit..so why is the 840 hitting it at 60?thanks in advance.and finally i have a buggy that accelerates like an atv ...ive been missing the atv acceleration from my can ams and brute force 750..im happy with the teryx now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

is there anybody out there?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Hi! I am right here!!!!
Sorry, can't really help you, I remember someone saying that the 840's can't rev out like the standard bore but would think you should pull more speed than the stocker even downhill. Do you have a clutch kit or OD plate?

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

clutching is all stock as of now.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 PM

Not sure but I think it is going to be a clutch to engine rpm issue your engine rmp ranges have changed over your stock motor, I am assuming you stll have moter left that yourt clutch is not allowing you to use , but I think you need to talk to mickey, exchamp, todd are anybody that have dealed with hunreds of these bikes.

Big Daddy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Do you know what rpm it is cutting out at? I think a clutch kit would do you a world of difference and really get the power out of the 840, if you like your acceleration now you would be faster with a clutch kit from what I have read. Should have one any how because the stock system probably will start eating belts with the 840.

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:57 AM

Yes I have heard several of the engine builders say that when you install engine kit you must do clutch, I heard one say that after they did their clutch mod it gave them almost as much get up and go as the engine kit itself.

Big Daddy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Already replied to your pm but I'll post it here so every one knows...

The reason for this is because the 840 makes more power and stock clutching... To increase top speed on a CVT the belt reaches the top of the primary(full shift out) and then starts to rev out to gain top speed. This is what you're hearing when the motor starts to rev a lot higher. Because the 840 makes more power the RPM's are increased through the shifting phase thus when you reach full shift out you have less RPM to increase thus less top speed to gain.

If you put heavier weights in the clutch you would lower the rpm's back down and gain your few mph back as well but at the same time your motor is going to make peak power at a lot higher rpm than stock. You want it to rev at the expense of few mph. If you want you can shim out the stock primary cover or send your clutch to vfj for more top speed.

and no installing a clutch kit isn't going to give you as much get up and go as the kit itself... This is very mis-leading. If clutched right you will see a gain but it will never be drastic. Back when I was doing clutching at a track with timers the most I ever gained through clutching was 3 tenths in 500ft which was great and I was happy with that but without the timers you'd never know it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Already replied to your pm but I'll post it here so every one knows...

The reason for this is because the 840 makes more power and stock clutching... To increase top speed on a CVT the belt reaches the top of the primary(full shift out) and then starts to rev out to gain top speed. This is what you're hearing when the motor starts to rev a lot higher. Because the 840 makes more power the RPM's are increased through the shifting phase thus when you reach full shift out you have less RPM to increase thus less top speed to gain.

If you put heavier weights in the clutch you would lower the rpm's back down and gain your few mph back as well but at the same time your motor is going to make peak power at a lot higher rpm than stock. You want it to rev at the expense of few mph. If you want you can shim out the stock primary cover or send your clutch to vfj for more top speed.

and no installing a clutch kit isn't going to give you as much get up and go as the kit itself... This is very mis-leading. If clutched right you will see a gain but it will never be drastic. Back when I was doing clutching at a track with timers the most I ever gained through clutching was 3 tenths in 500ft which was great and I was happy with that but without the timers you'd never know it.
Shane what kind of top speed does your 840 turn and at what rpm I know you have a lot of experience with the 840, Are you stock carbs and heads if not what are you running

Big Daddy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
Shane what kind of top speed does your 840 turn and at what rpm I know you have a lot of experience with the 840, Are you stock carbs and heads if not what are you running

72mph which is on the rev limiter with stock carbs/heads for the most part stock clutching with a shimmed cover and a maroon primary. If I went with a vfj clutch I'd have more gearing and could probably go a bit faster.

Could get the rpm's up a little bit and be a bit quicker but overall it runs great like it is.

As far as the 840 top end pull vs standard bore... I had a brute force and I've had several standard bore motors and each time I went to an 840 and it is more power bottom to top. Anyone would be happy with a standard bore motor in one of these bikes but if you're power hungry the 840 is for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement