Ready to buy parts. Wanna make sure and get the right ones. - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question Ready to buy parts. Wanna make sure and get the right ones.

I have a 2008 NRA Teryx I just bought used. It seemed to run great before I bought it.
I took it out all day riding around a large farm. I had to shift it into low to go up hills, If I did'nt the engine seemed like it was straining, the belt didnt seem like it was sliping, just no power.
There was also a clunking sound in the rear.
It is hard to start and smells like its burning rich (Smell of gas)also the stock pipe was glowing red when I returned back to my truck.
With that said, it is now completly disassembeled in my garage.
I was planning on upgrading it anyway.
I have read every forum and watched all Todd's Videos. (By the way I own a video production company if you need some pointers Todd) But I am still a little confused on what to get for my application.
I plan on using this to hunt and trail ride up and down hills, thru mud and snow. (Lots of low end stuff). Dont really need alot of speed just power and as quiet as possible can.
Here is what I was looking to buy from Hunterworks
Teryx Filter and Billet Adapter Kit $ 84.95
Teryx Programmable Dyna CDI $309.00
Teryx Clutch Kit Combo Option:CVT Belt $544.90
HW Teryx OD Cover $125.00
HW Teryx Carb/Air Box Kit $145.00
Teryx Muzzy Exhaust Optional Generator cover $811.95 with silent inserts
Sub Total $ 2,020.80
now that I rambeled on any thoughts.
I posted this instead of calling Todd In case some of you also had comments. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 PM

I would get the billet OD cover instead of the stock shaved one.
If you are using it for what you said, I would get the HMF system.
HW's aluminum cv guards are also a good idea.
I asume you have a winch?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Why the hmf system
can you keep the engine brake with the billet od
I do have a winch and oversized rear wheels

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:28 PM

You can keep the engine brake with the Hunter works made one with the bearings that costs $165. But you can't with the dalton one that costs $185.
The HMF is slightly quieter for hunting. It doesn't have packing pillows to replace, and is well sealed for water/ mudding.
Only the rears are oversized?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

both
26x12x12 rear
26x10x12 front
on the hmf are you talking about the swamp series
good to know on the biilet
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM

ya swamp series
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM

I started to post a reply but didn't hit the buttom, it was earlier today on office computer.

E-mail me this list and I will make you a package deal

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 Teryx View Post
I have a 2008 NRA Teryx I just bought used. It seemed to run great before I bought it.
I took it out all day riding around a large farm. I had to shift it into low to go up hills, If I did'nt the engine seemed like it was straining, the belt didnt seem like it was sliping, just no power.
It is hard to start and smells like its burning rich (Smell of gas)also the stock pipe was glowing red when I returned back to my truck.
I have read every forum and watched all Todd's Videos. (By the way I own a video production company if you need some pointers Todd) But I am still a little confused on what to get for my application.
I plan on using this to hunt and trail ride up and down hills, thru mud and snow. (Lots of low end stuff). Dont really need alot of speed just power and as quiet as possible can.
Sub Total $ 2,020.80
I posted this instead of calling Todd In case some of you also had comments. Thanks
sounds like a great start i have almost this same setup (minus the clutch) and it makes a world of difference...i also bought this from todd... he will hook you up, and support his stuff....buy away!!

08 LE, DASA 840, Muzzys, CDI, Open Filter Carb setup, VFJ Stage 3, XMF LT w / WER shocks, XMF 2 seat radius cage, XMF bed delete kit and bumpers, Lowrance Baja 540c GPS, HID's, 14" MSA MCX tires on black MSA Diesels, Twisted Stitch Agressors w / XMF seat bases, and a whole bunch of other shit!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 Teryx View Post
Sub Total $ 2,020.80
You'd see a better gain by going with....

Standard bore kit $900 or less.
Dynatek non programmable $200
Shim the stock cover or nothing at all because you aren't interested in speed.
Order a few main jets and a few shims for less than 30 bucks.

My dad runs a standard bore kit and didn't like the loudness of the muzzy so I re-tuned it with a stock exhaust with no baffle and the bike runs GREAT... Tons of low end and would walk away from any side by side it lines up next too. All he has on his bike is a dalton clutch kit with a shimmed cover stock exhaust and a standard bore kit with a set of flynt's trail cams. I personally would have never believed the bike would run so good on a stock exhaust and told him that but he insisted on trying it... The big bores on the other hand don't run worth a damn with stock exhaust.

So for less than 1100-1200 + whatever the clutch kit cost(really could do without if you wanted too) You could have a bike that would almost push out twice the horse power as stock. Even if you factored in labor to do everything atleast from my shop it would only be 500 bucks more.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 PM

I am with Shan on this one. If you don't want top end speed you don't need the overdrive plate. I would do the same thing, if you want to be even cheaper then just a Dalton clutch kit, non-programmable Dynatek and Hunterworks jet kit, maybe and exhaust tip or just remove the factory. Standard bore would be nice on top of it all, but the clutch kit will make all difference to your bottom end power. I find the stock clutching is kind of lazy sometimes especially when you punch it and want to go.

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement