Welded cams, myths busters - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welded cams, myths busters

I get so many calls and PM's about cams and the questions about weather welded rockers are needed, and is there any problems with welded cams. Simple answer is NO and NO!

The problem started back a few years ago where most mis-information starts,KR's! As we were selling more kits then ever my stage 3 cams came out and there were reports of FST cams flaking.It wasn't a FST thing but because we sell the most we got the blame.All or 95% of the cams are ground by Web Cam for these V-Twin Kawie's.We were setting our valve lash at what Web said to,.004 intake and .006 ex. There was nothing wrong with this as long as you kept the clearences at that spec,and didn't run the motor hot from a number of different reasons.We had people that ran the motors lean,on NOS up hill for 15 seconds of more,rads packed with mud and so on and so on. You could tell the clearence would go away because the black coating on the base circle was rubbed off. The coating should never come off the base circle because your rocker shouldn't touch there. When it does drag all around the cam it also doesn't get the oiling it should. So now you have a cam with no way to keep cool the way it should and it starts blowing apart or flaking at the highest load area,the nose. Web cam was standing behind them for me because we were selling alot of them.Then they started telling everyone they wouldn't stand behind them if you didn't buy their welded up rockers. Some of this reasoning came from the fact that the high lift cam lobes come off the rocker pads. While my cams ,stage 1,2 and 3 have a lift of .405 and come up to the edge of the rocker pad ,it does not come off the pad. The stage 3's in the pic and the Web welded up rocker pad are flaking because the coating is gone off the ex lobes, and just about off the intake on one, and all off the other. As you can see the rockers didn't save these. I have had Web's I-150's with their rockers (which don't even need valve springs), let alone rockers that this flaking had happen to. Most of the flaking will be on the hottest lobe,the ex lobe.

Since we race the GNCC's we find things out sooner then most builders. We had since opened up our cleareces to .006 intake and .008 ex. My rider put these clearence to the test by running the race with a mud packed rad,over heating his motor to the point of turning the cams "BLUE".When I looked at the cams they were perfect (beside being blue) with the black coating still on the base circle.We have also not had one cam have a problem since we open up the clearence.Nevertheless Web still says you have to run their rockers.(we don't)The welded rocker pads are too long IMO and the weld is softer then the stockers. You can see where the de-comp pin digs into the rocker on the Web welded ones. The stock set in the pics have more miles on a build V-Force then any I know of . The motor had been over heated and run out of oil in the BAJA 500 in 04'. I am still running these in my Prairie with stage 2 cams.

So like I said there is nothing wrong with welded cams,there is "always" a reason for the problem. Just because you don't know why,dosn't mean there is a problem with a product. I here people bad mouthing stock valves,it's no a valve problem. I hear people bad mouthing the 4mm bigger valves,it's not a valve problem. I even see bad mouthing air cleaners,it's not a product problem!

Welded cams, myths busters-cams-rockers-1.jpg

Welded cams, myths busters-cams-rockers-2.jpg

Welded cams, myths busters-rockers-1.jpg

Welded cams, myths busters-rockers-2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Build Sponsor

We have been running 6 and 8 for along time and never any problems...good post and VERY informative...thanks Mickey...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandJunkie View Post
We have been running 6 and 8 for along time and never any problems...good post and VERY informative...thanks Mickey...
I'm not much on writing long tech articals but there is so much misinformation on the net and this is the biggest one so I posted it.

Next one needs to be about the stock valves and the reasons they wear out sooner then you would think.Maybe next week when I get back from NC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement