A little testing today. - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A little testing today.

So I went out to the desert today to do a little testing. Ok, it was a good excuse to go out and play but there was a motive to the plan.

I purchased a bunch of bolt on performance stuff and I did not just want to put it all on at the same time and not know what part helped or hurt so I did it one step at a time.
First I drove about a 5 mile course to get some varied terrain with a high speed section to judge the top speed change. All speeds were measured two up with my Lowrance Baja GPS in sandy terrain so traction was never 100% (so your speeds may vary)

Test #1 stock = 45.6
Test #2 Ignition box = 53.6
Test #3 Changed Jetting to 130 and 134 needles in secind clip Fuel screw 2 turns out = 54.0
Test #4 Removed spark arrestor 55.2
Test #5 Slip on exhaust 55.6

Next test will include modifying airbox and richening up the jetting again but I'll save that for another day.

Conclusions:
Ignition is worth every penny
Jetting helped
Slip on exhaust was not worth the extra noise.
With these mods alone this thing rips and the fun factor was increased substancially
I could barely tell the noise difference between stock and with the sparky removed but the slip on had my ears ringing after the 5 mile loop. I'm going back to stock and waiting for someone to build a quiet system that works. (maybe Muzzy?)

This may be old news but I feel better doing it myself.

Amateurs practice to do it right, Professionals practice until its Perfect!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 07:25 AM

Interesting, thanks for posting it. This could almost be a how-to post?!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:26 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Thanks for the information, yes I think the CDI is a must, some good information you posted!

Hey how do you have your Lowrance mounted? I am looking at various ideas and was curious how yours is. In addition, do you have any pictures of how you ran the wiring? I am just trying to get ideas.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 07:26 PM

What kind of slip on did you use(so I don't buy that one)? The new Gibson I've read about on this site sounds pretty good.

Did you do anything to the intake???
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Wow that is great hands on info thanks. Must have been a little warm in the desert doing all that work. Sounds like fun though I guess I need to get me a cdi and pull the sparky out.

Too much is neverenough
2003 duramax dually for towing
2004 Gearbox toyhauler 30fs
2006 limited yfz 450 mine
2003 Pred 500 wifes
1986 4trax 250R sons
1997 300ex daughter
2006 250ex daughter
2008 Teryx ours
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
What kind of slip on did you use(so I don't buy that one)? The new Gibson I've read about on this site sounds pretty good.

Did you do anything to the intake???
I am really thinking about getting the Gibson to.I just want to see someone do a test with it first.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
Thanks for the information, yes I think the CDI is a must, some good information you posted!

Hey how do you have your Lowrance mounted? I am looking at various ideas and was curious how yours is. In addition, do you have any pictures of how you ran the wiring? I am just trying to get ideas.
I mounted the gps to my cross tube just above the dash and just above the stock intrument cluster so you can see both. I'll try and shoot some images soon to share.

The desert was awesome only about 75!

I purposely left off the makes of all my items for a reason. I think they are all about the same and I did not want to bad mouth anyone.

For the record I do want some form of sparky but it is hard to argue with the results with out it. The one thing I di not check was sound from the back of the car to see if that was changed without it.

I would like to keep a mechanical muffle so I don't ever have to worry about the packing burning out. (low maint) I heard Bassani is building something based off of their Mustang type system and that should be interesting.

Amateurs practice to do it right, Professionals practice until its Perfect!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:06 AM

1. Did you get a programmable CDI? IF so, which curve are you running?
2. How do you like the GPS? I have been considering one myself, easy to get lost in the woods.

Good info, thank you!!

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement