Open Filter Carb Tuning - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Open Filter Carb Tuning

Thank you DM310 (Chris) for doing this in depth write up. It will be a huge help for those with the 08 carb model Teryx...

Ok so this is how I did it. Things you will need

Brute force Dyno jet kit p/n Q217 (thanks Sandjunkie)

Uni filters (clamp on, angled 15', 2.75" ID) p/n UP4275AST

2.75" exhuast tubing (only need about 5")

Poflo and Sandjunkie have posted great tips here and there on what needs to be done to the carbs. I jb welded the original holes on the bottom of the slides. Make sure its flush and smoth. I then used a 1/16th drill bit and drilled 2 new holes about 3/16" forward of the org holes. You can play around w/ the size of the holes, they might need to be a little larger if you are running a 840 kit. :think:

One more note is when you are putting the needle back in the slide, make sure the legs on the needle hat dont cover up either of the new holes that are drilled

The reason I used the Brute kit is its my understanding that the spring has less tension and the needles are a little richer, plus you get a lot more jets in the kit.

I set the idle screw to 3 turns out. The key to tuning cv carbs is to find the correct jet first under WOT and then tune mid range and idle. I welded some O2 bungs on the stock exhaust and picked up a bosch single wire o2 sensor from kragen. Its not as good as a wideband but it gets the job done plus it was only $20. I then used a fluke meter to monitor the voltage. Make sure the sensor it warmed up before testing.

I tested w/ the filters off first to confirm the slides were not bouncing around through out the rpm range. Then with the filters on I fine tuned it. I ended up with a 160 jet in the front and 165 in the rear. The front needle I set on the number 2 clip position w/ 2 washers. The rear needle I set on clip position 3 w/ 2 washers.

For the filters, I used the a section of 2.75" exhaust tubing so I could connect the filters to the stock carb boots.

My teryx is all stock except this intake and a Non-programable CDI

Throttle responce is instant, starts a lot easier, revs up a lot faster, and was a HUGE seat of the pants upgrade!! I hope this helps some people out :beer3:

Oh and one more note, you will have to add a breather set up as you will no longer have a plenum to attach the vent tube to. Sounds like a good reason to upgrade to this kit YFZ catch can and HW stop kit.. - Kawasaki Teryx Forum

added a pic to the write up

heres a quick video. The intake is louder than the exhaust

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Whew how do you deal with the intake noise.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 AM

I would be careful with the filter choice, that UNI has only a single layer on the top there.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I would be careful with the filter choice, that UNI has only a single layer on the top there.
I have heard some people had problems in that area...it does not help that the Teryx creates a "negative pressure area" under that console...
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Sounds like they are catching on......rather than believing that the carbs cannot be run without the air box
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poflo View Post
Sounds like they are catching on......rather than believing that the carbs cannot be run without the air box
Yea but you were still the first as far as I know...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 PM

I won't get in a argument but I bet the stock airbox will outrun this set up with everything else being the same.

At minimum it won't be enough to deal with the noise.

Just having a plenum does wonders.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Quote:
I won't get in a argument but I bet the stock airbox will outrun this set up with everything else being the same.

I would tend to agree only because Dan and I had better luck with the stock plenum, tube and air box...

The guy to ask would be Poflo...he has really good luck with a HUGE plenum...I have had great luck with the stock plenum...I would like to see just what gains happen on a dyno...

One thing is for certain? The carb edition can be made to run pretty damn good...if you have the patience and put in the time...my 2 cents...
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 AM

A large plenum serves this purpose:

It acts like a reserve tank for air that has already been pushed thru the filter and is readily available to be pushed into the engine. Air is pushed in not sucked in technically. Meaning the air in the plenum has no restriction on it so it is ready to go.

Also I am not so sure if Kawi tuned the intake on this vehicle due to limitations of where they had to put the air box but normally they are tuned for reverse pulses too.

Can it be improved, sure but with a stock engine you won't see any returns you can feel in your butt.

Todd

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:

There isn't any argument here.....if you don't want max HP from any carb or FI set-up ,then run the stock air box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement