Info on air boxes and K&N filters - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Info on air boxes and K&N filters

With all the questions about adding aftermarket intakes with any number of filters or the K&N filters.

First on K&N filters: I think they are great for performance and in some cases they work on UTV's but I am of the "opinion" they let entirely too much dirt pass. We have had several customers over the last couple of years who have had to rebuild their engines due to the use of them. I know there is someone out there who has been running them for years in his dust buggy with no problem just like my uncle who has been smoking for 50 years and does not have cancer. If there is such a margin of error in using them and there is a better alternative then simply don't use them on a vehicle that is in a dusty environment.

Look at the picture below of the inside of a well maintained K&N air filter off the desert race rhino we sponsor after one race. They no longer use them either.

Aftermarket Air boxes:

Simple, don't buy one. Why? No real need, your engine can't use all the added flow, the noise is terrible and in most cases you will lose throttle response plus most use a K&N filter which we have already covered.

The Teryx has vacuum controlled carburetors which needs a slight amount of vacuum in the air intake to open and close the throttle slides correctly, your foot pedal only opens the butterfly valve not the actual throttle it opens when there is enough engine vacuum to open them. For this reason if you take the lid off your air box, install a aftermarket air box you will lose this slight amount of vacuum to operate them correctly.

If these companies provided you some very weak diaphragm springs with the kit then it might work.

To change the air intake it has to work in a system format. Need more power then you need more fuel, more fuel means bigger main jets and a needle clip change, now the engine runs rich so we need more air, more air means we lose our vacuum, got less vacuum then go to weaker springs in the diaphragms so you don't need as much vacuum.

It all has to work together and don't get tricked in the flows twice as much air as stock, big deal if the engine can't pump it.

Point is, be prudent on money spent on a air intake systems and stay away from K&N filters for dusty conditions.

We have way too many calling us after they bought such systems and are totally frustrated and if we can head it off at the pass then that is what we want to do.

I am not here to hijack any other vendors stuff, I am here to help you!!

Click the link below of the picture of the filter

Todd
Hunterworks

Last edited by Hunterworks; 06-09-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Very nicely written Todd, I wonder if I have just been one of the lucky ones, but I personally have never had an issue running the K&N filter pods with outwears (prefilters) on my Banshee. Granted most of the riding was in the dunes, however, I did ride quite a bit in the desert through the dry washes where it is pretty much just silt. Now I also cleaned them often and re-oiled accordingly, but never had an issue.

Let me ask this, are the pores just too large thus allowing the REALLY fine dirt to get through? What about any of the other cotton gauze filters?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

If you hold one up to a light you can see the light thru it. K&N filters have four layers I think. THE S&B has twice that and might work, the simple answer is to run Uni dual density filter with oil, they flow just as good and don't have the dust issue.

Kind of like going to the Dr. and telling him my arm hurts when I do this and he says, don't do that. Pretty simple.

LOL

Todd

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Hmmm well I currently use the aFe Pro-GUARD 7, with seven layers (hence the name)

Wonder if its filtration is better that the K&N?

But I have to ask...A LOT of desert racers run K&N filters...so could it be that those motors are being torn apart often, thus not creating the issues regular owners could have?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

That seven layer may work fine, I don't have any experience with AFE filters. I know they use them. Maybe the set up they use won't allow them to use another type or maybe they risk it.

I'm not talking to the racers, I think the majority of the people here are average trail riders. Racers are usually in the know and have reasons for what they do. I have always said Hunterworks is here for the rest of us, the average guy with a new toy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement