Upgrades - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Upgrades

Just want to pick anyones brain. I am adding muzzy exhaust to my 2010 and I also want to do the clutch kit and the plate. Is their any reason not to use the machined plate. Also I want to use the EPI kit. Any reason to use anything else. I believe the dalton kit has more stall in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:23 PM

there will be no adjustment with the epi for later mods or larger tires,the dalton is a little higher but adjustable,and i think vfjohn kit is close to same price as the epi and it is also adjustable. not a epi fan

MERLIN MOTORSPORTS GROUP TERYX
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 PM

I had an EPI kit in my 08 rex, it engaged way to high (my bad, I had the stiffer primary installed) I did not notice any benefit from it, belt still slipped and had no top end (no od cover either) I think the secondary was way to stiff. You would be happier with the dalton if you are just looking for something to bolt in. I have it now with the od cover and it is much better, the dalton comes with two primary springs so the engagement is up to you, but the higher engaging one is still not as bad (hard) as the EPI that I had. Plus you know you will be upgrading the motor later so it will adapt.

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 PM

I have the vforce john mod it cost 350.00 but you want need a plate he machines your plate in the process and you will get about 2 mph on the top in over any of the plates that you buy but I guess you know that the plates will not do any good until you change ignitions like the MSD to remove the speed and rev limiters, I agree with the guys though I would never go with the EPI kit every thing I have heard about it was negative I have heard several guys post on this and other forums that their teryxs actually lost performance.

Big Daddy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:19 AM

NO epi 4 me! That being said my 09 with muzzy and Vfj clutch mod is running over 61mph and can spin the tires on blacktop! I have no msd box yet just a speed healer to fool the computer on speed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:36 AM

i didnt care for the epi kit at all,I took it out asap
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
I have the vforce john mod it cost 350.00 but you want need a plate he machines your plate in the process and you will get about 2 mph on the top in over any of the plates that you buy but I guess you know that the plates will not do any good until you change ignitions like the MSD to remove the speed and rev limiters, I agree with the guys though I would never go with the EPI kit every thing I have heard about it was negative I have heard several guys post on this and other forums that their teryxs actually lost performance.
Look guys, when you talk about the vfj mod that is just one thing. Vfj machines your primary for $350. That will get you top end & no need for the overdrive plate. Vfj also has clutch kits HIS adjustable weights & springs for $229. His mod is good, his clutch kit is great. Again, it is what ever you want. If you do alot of high speed riding then by all means go with the mod and spend the extra. But if you barely ever go over 60 then definatly go with his clutch kit over epi & dalton. Dalton is a good kit too.... but vfj kit is cheaper.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWILDCATS74 View Post
Look guys, when you talk about the vfj mod that is just one thing. Vfj machines your primary for $350. That will get you top end & no need for the overdrive plate. Vfj also has clutch kits HIS adjustable weights & springs for $229. His mod is good, his clutch kit is great. Again, it is what ever you want. If you do alot of high speed riding then by all means go with the mod and spend the extra. But if you barely ever go over 60 then definatly go with his clutch kit over epi & dalton. Dalton is a good kit too.... but vfj kit is cheaper.
This is only half of the story he machines the clutch for MORE belt contact so you have less belt slipping in the mud. 2nd he machine the spider for more belt pressure witch means less belt slipping again. This is why I say dont wast your money on a clutch kit till you mod the clutch. The biggest problem with the factory clutch is belt slipping in mud or heavy tires etc.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYRITE01 View Post
This is only half of the story he machines the clutch for MORE belt contact so you have less belt slipping in the mud. 2nd he machine the spider for more belt pressure witch means less belt slipping again. This is why I say dont wast your money on a clutch kit till you mod the clutch. The biggest problem with the factory clutch is belt slipping in mud or heavy tires etc.
Yeah, that was half the story. But.. I kinda disagree with you about the clutch mod. Yes all those things are true. I also agree that if you have oversized tire and do alot of mudbogging you should get this mod. But for somebdy like me that runs 26 inch terracross and avoids mud holes like the plauge Then I would see the mod more on top end. Your weights are the diff. If your weights & springs are set up right with power you make at the right rpms then that will keep your belt from slipping. Again, like I have stated in other post it depends on what YOU want to do and YOUR bike setup to what is your best combo of

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement