YFZ Siphon Break Problem - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

YFZ Siphon Break Problem

We found a small problem with the YFZ siphon break while we were out testing over the weekend. If you use a flat bar to mount the can it COULD cause your catch can to separate, thus causing a puking condition. I'm glad we had one of my air scoops on my Teryx or I don't know if we would have ever figured this one out. Here is a shot of the YFZ can. As you can see the middle crankcase inlet is very close to the middle bolt on the catch can. Once that middle bolt is tightened it will cause the can to separate in the middle and thus cause a leak.

A simple 10,000 to 15,000 spacer will solve the problem. We are ordering those in this week along with longer bolts for those that ordered our YFZ catch can kits.

A second minor problem that we found was if (and thats a big IF) the catch can ever filled and sent oil down the vent line into your breather? The filter on your breather would soak up the oil and not let air into the vent, thus creating a vacuum in the catch can. We were able only able to make this happen once so the odds are against it happening BUT it is something to think about when your installing your kit or you ever run into problems out riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM

I noticed the seperation when I was bolting mine on . I backed the bolt off a little and it seemed to go back but on my weekend trip I was smelling some oil so I will look it over.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Yea check it out...you might have been smelling oil from the vent...which is no big deal if you do...just the way it is...

Jim

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketruck View Post
I noticed the seperation when I was bolting mine on . I backed the bolt off a little and it seemed to go back but on my weekend trip I was smelling some oil so I will look it over.
Just got my yfz syphon brake in from UTV crap and it is seperated too. Closed off all the lines and blew through and it and it was definately going to leak. Here is my fix... get some epoxy and seal the gap. It sucks that you have to do it after you paid money for a product But, this will fix the issue. I am glad I noticed during my build and not after I had it all together.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWILDCATS74 View Post
Just got my yfz syphon brake in from UTV crap and it is seperated too. Closed off all the lines and blew through and it and it was definately going to leak. Here is my fix... get some epoxy and seal the gap. It sucks that you have to do it after you paid money for a product But, this will fix the issue. I am glad I noticed during my build and not after I had it all together.
Yea I WAS going to keep this to myself and my customers...but then I thought "Well that ain't cool" so I posted it up...thank you for confirming my find. I am going to epoxy mine also just for sh*ts and giggles but I know my customers would not be happy if I just told them to epoxy it...gonna cost me a little in shipping but hey...thats the downside of business...some days you get the bear...some days the bear gets you...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandJunkie View Post
Yea I WAS going to keep this to myself and my customers...but then I thought "Well that ain't cool" so I posted it up...thank you for confirming my find. I am going to epoxy mine also just for sh*ts and giggles but I know my customers would not be happy if I just told them to epoxy it...gonna cost me a little in shipping but hey...thats the downside of business...some days you get the bear...some days the bear gets you...
Yeah, I appreciate the heads up. I probably would have noticed .. but this thread made me more aware. It probably will cost you a little in shipping but it gave you major credability for stepping up first.. Since it seems that everybody that sells this product is having this issue.. I will definatly look at you for my next purchase.. Look the fix is not hard. It is just the thought of having to fix something that you just purchased is what is the biggest pain.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:14 PM

just got mine today,it leaks too.

MERLIN MOTORSPORTS GROUP TERYX
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM

i had mine leak also and i figured it was the lack of drainage causing it...so i took it off and poxied it all the way around.it does need longer bolts because of the angle on one of the outlets.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 PM

I had same issue and called UTV CRAP they sent out a new cannister installed today. Unfortunatly this cannister is not enough capacity it still pukes all the way out the filter at full throttle. anyone have any ideas?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 PM

yea, spend a little more money and get something that will do the job.
google engine oil breather tank or buy one from any one of several hundred sites that sell them, jegs, summit racing, morroso, maxair engineering just new name a few, the one i have in the picture has 3 ports in the bottom, only one is needed for a stock engine.
sin city
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	syphon break.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	2379   Click image for larger version

Name:	syphon break 1.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	2380  

Last edited by sincity; 04-16-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement