Teryx HQ banner

FST 840 It's Alive!!!!!

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Four Stroke Tech 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got the new bbk running. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: It's alive, but pretty noisy. Is there supposed to be much valve clatter noise with bigger cams and heavier valve springs. The intakes are set at .006" loose end of stock valve lash and the exhaust is at .008" tight end of stock lash. I am just wondering cause it is pretty loud, but has no covers on it. I have not heard it run before with no rubber or plastic covers so maybe that is the difference? It runs good, sounds good with the new muzzy pros, just noisy that's all. AFR at idle is 12.8 front and back ( I have dual AFE afr guages hooked up mounted in the dash). Maybe someone can comfort me or tell me its wrong. Thanks Dudebros.

#6 ·
Thanks big daddy, no problem glad I could help, can't remember what I did but it must have been great. Are you running now, up for a ride sunday. Give me a call.:wave:

#4 ·
I bet that first ride will be a lot of fun. What bbk did you get & where did you get it? Been trying to get some info on the fundy kit & its always a couple weeks away. Mine needs it bad a I dusted my rings from the stock air filter.
Have a good time with the new engine, Crow

#5 ·
Thanks guys, should be fun as long as there is no problems. I don't think I can wait anymore if I wreck and have to fix it again. Crow, I went with the FST 840 kit, stage II cams. Mickey was awesome to deal with, definately recomend him. Dasa air filter and intake adapter, dasa injectors, MSD maps, and some spare axles from Steve (good guy to buy from very accomadating), some brute throttle bodies from sumdumguy on Kijiji, a Sandjunkie YZF breather kit and swapped out my old std muzzy's for some new muzzy pro's from hunterworks (thanks Todd for your pipes). I would like to thank all the guys with their help with buying my parts and my numerous questions.:good: Should move a bit better now, sure sounds fast anyway.:93C_peelout[1]: I should get out today to break it in and break the spirit of my two buddie's with RZR-S's and force them to open up their wallets:laugh::laugh:
Just a bit nervous about all the valve noise now, I hope I got them adjusted properly.

#7 ·
Just finished my FST840 stage III cams and I love it :D The power is amazing. I will say that I didnt hear anymore valve train noise than stock. But, that is not saying you have a problem.. Just you may have better hearing than me ;) But my bike does have a totally different sound than before. Congrats on your bike , I know your looking forward to the next trail ride to feel the diff it makes . I know I am :wave:

#8 ·
I definately don't have better hearing, the rear cylinder was just a little to loose. I readjusted them and it is alot better now, still some ticking but not much more than stock. As for the totally different sound than before holy s**t does it sound gnarly, like a race car instant revs and deep vibratiing idle with my new pro's. Think I will be putting the whisper cores for my kids sake. Cant wait till tomorrow when I ride it.:D
How's Merlins build coming?

#11 ·
I hear a lot of people saying they hear the valves more,even when we where setting them at .004 and .006. You will hear a little more noise but nothing majore,if you do re-check the valves by turning the motor over slowly while wiggling the rocker up and down till you find where it has the most clearence. The most clearence isn't all ways at TDC. Set the valves where ever they have the most clearence and that should take care of any noise you may here.

Let me know if you like the stage 2 cams also. If you think they sign off to soon and you think you would like the more top end of the 3's just send those back and I will send you the new one's.

*Note, I sent you a PM about the cores you sent back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.