5 belts four trips!!!!! Suggestions PLZ? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

5 belts four trips!!!!! Suggestions PLZ?

Here it goes I broke my low gear in the gear box on Thanksgiving and so since i had to open the tranny i decided to install the Vforce gears box since I only ride the sand dunes or long baja trips at high speed. Since I had the motor out I installed the FST840 BBk. Well New Years Trips I broke my first belt and then on Pres trips broke my second belt then 2 weeks ago I broke two belts out in Glamis and even changed it out in the 95degree weather with a lot of cold ones. Well I had spoken to Mickey he suggested I conact VFJ which I did. I took out my Dalton kit which is for sale now and sent my clutch to VFJ, I ordered up the stage 3 mod and his weights and my Dalton Billet OD plate. Got it back WEds installed New Spring in seconardy clutch and my new belt (EPI Belt which Dragonfire swore it would last since thats the same belt they run in Nessy for almost the whole run without a problem) I switched out my sand Blaster 26 for some Skat Kat 8 paddles since (WE) all thought that could have a problem with the big tires.Went to Glamis this pasted weekend and took it very easy on the new belt for the first 18 miles I never got to full throttle just played on the flats and drove kids around. Finally got on it going to Olds thru the flat going 25mph and then it happened my worest fear the Teryx just stopped belt. Well spoke to VFJ he told me to adjust the bolts on the weights and also told me maybe my secondary clutch may be out of true. I think i described everthing if anyone can give me some feed back plz DUE tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomDOGG View Post
Here it goes I broke my low gear in the gear box on Thanksgiving and so since i had to open the tranny i decided to install the Vforce gears box since I only ride the sand dunes or long baja trips at high speed. Since I had the motor out I installed the FST840 BBk. Well New Years Trips I broke my first belt and then on Pres trips broke my second belt then 2 weeks ago I broke two belts out in Glamis and even changed it out in the 95degree weather with a lot of cold ones. Well I had spoken to Mickey he suggested I conact VFJ which I did. I took out my Dalton kit which is for sale now and sent my clutch to VFJ, I ordered up the stage 3 mod and his weights and my Dalton Billet OD plate. Got it back WEds installed New Spring in seconardy clutch and my new belt (EPI Belt which Dragonfire swore it would last since thats the same belt they run in Nessy for almost the whole run without a problem) I switched out my sand Blaster 26 for some Skat Kat 8 paddles since (WE) all thought that could have a problem with the big tires.Went to Glamis this pasted weekend and took it very easy on the new belt for the first 18 miles I never got to full throttle just played on the flats and drove kids around. Finally got on it going to Olds thru the flat going 25mph and then it happened my worest fear the Teryx just stopped belt. Well spoke to VFJ he told me to adjust the bolts on the weights and also told me maybe my secondary clutch may be out of true. I think i described everthing if anyone can give me some feed back plz DUE tell.
Make sure your belt deflection is correct......to the point of being tight,without the car moving.This,makes sure the Rex is starting off in the lowest gearing,before going through the shift-out phase
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 PM

how much do you want for the dalton kit?

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM

My immediate answer would be too high of gearing and too much power making your belt slip then smoke.

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Poflo thanks I have the middle shim out of the secondary clutch and that should create the tension on the belt it needs correct. I'm understanding that once the thin shim is out on a new belt your deflection is correct!
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Codyo pm. on the Dalton clutch!
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Not allways. I have the kawi deflection tool, and some other shims (.30 .60 .80 1.0) and I removed the .30 shim from my clutch and my deflection was only 20mm a little to tight. But my deflection was supposedly set at dealer before I picked it up so I don't know what shims come from factory, they could all be different. Mine came with 1.0 and .30 shims in it.

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lots of stuff is supposed to be set up at the dealer and isn't. I had loose bolts, no battery mount connected, etc. Mine was PDI at a dealer and then transfered and PDI to the dealer I bought if from and it still had issues. It all depends on who goes thru it. Loose factory belt deflection was just one issue.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
My immediate answer would be too high of gearing and too much power making your belt slip then smoke.
I tend to agree here... Lots of extra stress on that belt. Probably not what you want to hear after doing all those mods.

BTW... how fast did you get it up to with that gearing?

'09 Teryx - BH 2.0's, ITP SS 212, Fox 2.0's, MuzzyPRO's, MSD, Warn XT40, SDR Bumpers, Power Steering
'08 Brute Force - BH's, ITP Sport Locks, K&N, Warn XT30, HMF Pipe and Optimizer
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Poflo My new weights are 66 grams and the primary spring is 250 lbs to help with better shift out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement