840 Forward Motion No Longer - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lightbulb 840 Forward Motion No Longer

Well the ol 840 laid down on me. Had to drive to the house in reverse. Not sure what happen. High went out and second just grinds when I try to put it in gear.

Went out and played real hard a couple of weeks ago on the dunes here in Oklahoma. We abused it a little but nothing terrible I didnt' think. Everything seemed to be working fine. Went to check fence last weekend and was messing around on the river. Not really riding hard but all the sudden a loud pop and no forward motion. So I guess I am tearing into the transmission.

My question is are there better or different parts that I should install while I am there? I generally check cows, ride the dunes, and play around the house. I have thought about racing XC a couple of times but it never worked out.

Thanks for you guys help. I will be doing the work and once I get inside I will post up some pictures.

List of motor mods
FST 840, DASA injectors, 38mm throttle bodies, UNI filter, Dalton clutch and over drive plate, Weller water pump, Muzzy pipes.

Last edited by jlbierig450r; 05-17-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:35 PM

What kind of engine oil were you running? The only reason I ask is the factory recomends atv/utv oil because it has anti-shock additive for the transmission gear train. Just curious to what you find. I switched from factory oil to Lucas 20w-50 performance oil after my 840 build. May have absolutly nothing to do with it.. Just curious.. Good Luck , I hate to see anybodys bike go down

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 PM

My question is are there better or different parts that I should install while I am there? I generally check cows, ride the dunes, and play around the house. I have thought about racing XC a couple of times but it never worked out.

Yes, V-force gears are tougher but you loose low range.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:18 PM

No just go back with stock stuff

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbierig450r View Post
Well the ol 840 laid down on me. Had to drive to the house in reverse. Not sure what happen. High went out and second just grinds when I try to put it in gear.

Went out and played real hard a couple of weeks ago on the dunes here in Oklahoma. We abused it a little but nothing terrible I didnt' think. Everything seemed to be working fine. Went to check fence last weekend and was messing around on the river. Not really riding hard but all the sudden a loud pop and no forward motion. So I guess I am tearing into the transmission.

Thanks for you guys help. I will be doing the work and once I get inside I will post up some pictures.

List of motor mods
FST 840, DASA injectors, 38mm throttle bodies, UNI filter, Dalton clutch and over drive plate, Weller water pump, Muzzy pipes.
Let me know what you need I have some new Teryx take out parts and or V-Force gears too.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
No just go back with stock stuff
Once again your wrong the v-force gears fit and are tougher they share the same gear case but the teryx has low range so some of the gears are thinner or slide inside each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroke Tech View Post
Let me know what you need I have some new Teryx take out parts and or V-Force gears too.
This is the guy to get ahold of, Mickey has been moddin this style
of engines for years and knows it inside and out.
FOUR STROKE TECH super knowledgeable IMHO!!!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 PM

sounds like it's simply the shift linkage is all. Easy fix.
Pull engine covers over air cleaner and shift knob. The linkage from the shift knob to the tranny is little turnbuckle bit. Adjust accordingly. All of 5 min.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Had same problem and i agree with five flat
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmowerepair man View Post
Once again your wrong the v-force gears fit and are tougher they share the same gear case but the teryx has low range so some of the gears are thinner or slide inside each other.

This is the guy to get ahold of, Mickey has been moddin this style
of engines for years and knows it inside and out.
FOUR STROKE TECH super knowledgeable IMHO!!!
I was assuming he still wanted low range and whether V Force, BF or Teryx gears they are all stock gears to that vehicle.

Thanks for pointing out how I was in error though!!

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveFlat View Post
sounds like it's simply the shift linkage is all. Easy fix.
Pull engine covers over air cleaner and shift knob. The linkage from the shift knob to the tranny is little turnbuckle bit. Adjust accordingly. All of 5 min.
Agreed...but I was pretty certain that would have been the first thing he would have checked...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement