Truth about FST 840's - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Truth about FST 840's

I am coming up on over 500 840cc big bore kits being sold now and I would like to see your feed back on what you have read or know for a fact because you own one.

Here are 2 quotes I seen today on another forum. These are in order,one was stated and then the very next post the 2nd one was posted.Tell me which one you think is true.

Mickey at FST has one of the best 840 pistons out,his new ones are very nice,11.5:1,Single Layer Gaskets Now,gas ported,and made by Wiseco,those and a set of stage 3s and those heads you got from Dasa Racing and that bike would be a runner for sure.

Not going to start a kit war but I am not a fan of FST 840 the back of the top ring land is too close to the deep valve pocket and makes a weak point.

It will not take much abuse, seen it come apart there.

No need to turn this into a bash or anything just tell me which one do you think is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM

I for one will say the top one in red is true.

I know of several car with the FST 840 that are run hard and have never had a problem. Even if someone precieves there to be a problem I have yet to see an FST 840 kit fail.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 AM

X2

When they are tuned properly they are as bulletproof and user friendly as a stocker!!

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 11:42 AM

Well I found who made the second post!! Doesnt suprise me at all, he cant air his dirty laundry with Mickey on this site so he goes to another site to try and knock mickeys products!! U have such a hard-on for mickey that you resort to trashing his products on another site! You may not like mickey, but you will find that you cant get away with bashing his products!! It has been proved many, many times that you cannot beat mickeys kits for reliability and "bang for the buck"!!

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:29 PM

I don't understand the second post, I don't have an 840 kit but have yet to hear about any pistons failing. The only issue anyone that I have seen has had is with overheating and that even seems far and few between. Maybe all of us on here are biased or maybe everyone here with 840's just knows how to build them! When it comes down to it, I have barely even heard of any engine problems with any Kawasaki V-twin with engine kits, either being a big bore or just a standard bore kit, keep oil in the engine and don't cook it. My brother has both the 650 & 750 quads, the 650 has some stuff done to it, it is the 1st year that the quad came out, I think a 2002. Anyhow, 8 years of bag driving the 650 and still not 1 problem, doesn't burn a drop of oil, just eats the odd belt and that is still not a real problem. This could be an interesting thread to watch!!!

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Build Sponsor

The top statement in red is true...

I have one of FST's 840 kits and P&P from DASA...it's a good running machine and it has taken some ABUSE...we ran it low (7 16oz Water Bottles to be exact) and it basically was being cooled by the oil...came in on the hook...filled it up with water and oil and away we went for the rest of the weekend...

I have over heated it 4 or 5 times because I forgot to turn the fan on...cooled down and away we go...it has really taken a beating and kept on hauling the mail...and the power it added changed my whole machine and my riding experience...Trust me when I tell you it is worth every penny...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
The only issue anyone that I have seen has had is with overheating
The BBK may put more heat into these engines but the overheating problem is found on stock cars as well and that is why Kawie made changes for 2010 models.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM

I installed my FST840 kit and I can say the first statement is true. I love my 840. The performance is awesome. I will say probably as far as reliabilty goes it is about as close as you can get to a stock engine for the performance gains. As far as overheating the 840 does run a little hotter. I ran mine in 93 deg weather hard for 20 min straight and the temp climbed to 240 once. Now my stock bike would run hot in 90deg weather too. I have not upgraded my coolant system yet , but I am going to upgrade my waterpump and that should fix the problem. I did run it all day pretty hard in 70 deg temp and it never overheated. I would recomend a FST kit anyday.. Mickey has been in the game for a long time for a reason.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx

Last edited by KYWILDCATS74; 06-17-2010 at 06:29 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The post in blue was posted by the guy that tuned this Teryx.He took the a/f readings from a single bung at the collector.After 1 hr of the customer driving it, it melted the front piston, intake side of the piston clear through to the ring lands, which tells you it was a lack of fuel to the front cylinder.If this detonation was at the front of the piston it would have been from too much timing.If you melt one piston you will melt any piston no matter who you have build your pistons. How this is a problem of Wiseco or FST I don't know but this is what was said.This is the only melt down I have heard of besides XChamp's that he ran a hr with the rad totally plug at a race. It was so muddy he couldn't even see the temp light on the dash,not that he was looking down there anyway,but again it's not a piston problem.

I only put this up to keep this BS in check.

Thank you all for your open and honest replies.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 PM

FST 840 here, no probs at all

MERLIN MOTORSPORTS GROUP TERYX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread