Teryx HQ banner

Pilot Screw Adjustments

24K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  dieselpowered 
#1 ·
What function does the Pilot Screw do in the teryx carbs?

Is it a Idle mixture adjustment or a part throttle adjustment or what?

#4 ·
The pilot jet (not sure on the screw) Is for idle fuel delivery I believe but I am not expert. I know when jetting I usually don't mess with a pilot jet. I bet Todd from Hunterworks will chime in he seems to be the expert on carbs and such.

#5 ·
No expert on carbs just spent a lot time screwing up.

The pilot screw adjustment can be one of two things. I believe when they call it a pilot screw it adjust fuel for idle.

You accomplish the same thing with a air mixture screw but you do it with air instead of fuel and it is still for idle only.

Some carbs use a pilot adjust for idle and some use a air adjustment.

The "pilot" screw is on the bottom of the carb with a brass plug over it. Go over to my website and watch the install video for the Teryx carb kit to see how to remove it and then adjust it.

Why do you think you need to adjust it?

Todd
Hunterworks

#6 ·
Todd,
I've been following your posts on your carb kits and after installing the dynatec CDI I noticed the same rough idle and miss at idle when cold or warming up at a slow idle. Just wondered if a slight ajustment might cure this problem.

I realize the carb kit you sell may take of this problem and gain more power. Thanks for your replies.

#7 ·
Somehow I knew Todd would be able to help. He is full of the most helpful info and always willing to share. Thanks Todd you are the man.

#9 ·
pilot screw adjustment

Go to Nyroc's ATV info website. In the tech articles for kawasakis, there is an article on the proper way to set the pilot screws. Those boys know there stuff! That site has kept my 02 prairie in great shape all these years and saved me quite a bit of money. All kawi v-twins respond pretty much the same. The carbs have changed over the years but are still basically the same

#11 ·
Magellan,
Thanks for the great link on basic carb tuning. It's the best I've found that explains the carb circuits. It clears up alot of questions. Thanks again for your post and link.

bduncan,
Thanks for your link. I'll have to do some research to find the threads on carb tuning on the nyroc site.

#12 ·
You are very welcome Len. We are in this together and a lot of us are trying to figure out how to tune our carbs.

so...

I did a little more research on CV Carb tuning.

This link describes the proper order to get your CV Carb tuned correctly.
CV Carb Tuning Procedures
This PDF gives some very good information on tuning and some examples of how to figure out if you are rich or lean at idle and throughout the RPM range.
http://www.oregonvintage.com/CVCarbTuning.pdf

Overall tuning and mods info.
Pretty good modding and tuning info
CV Carburetor Modifications
Here is a Harley site that has good tuning info for CV carbs.
Harley Davidson Carburetor Performance Tuning
Flo Headworks Carb Tuning rules of thumb
Carburetor tuning tips

#15 ·
Ya know I am not, however, that is a great idea....I will make up a reference page :good:

#17 ·
This is an option as well...let me do some research and send some e mails.

Great suggestions my friend. :good:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.