Overheating cured - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Overheating cured

Rode Sat. and my bike stayed below 185 deg. . This was a big concern of mine because I had to try several combos before I could control the temp of my 840. I ended up with DASA's impellar , fan over ride switch, and engine ice. Also fattend up my lowend rpms to about 11.5. Man, I have to say before I broke my rear wheel off my bike it was amazing. I mean it was hitting HARD and would launch like a rocket.. Merlin & I were tearing up the trails... Also mixed racing fuel 110 octane leaded with 93 octane.. about a one to three ratio. My bike seemed to like it.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 PM

Glad to hear it, I am gonna add the Dasa impeller to my 2010 just for good measure. Well with that 840 Im sure that wont be the last whel you break
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:43 PM

Good to hear you fixed the overheating issue. This is the combo I used. DASA impellar, custom rad and water. Will not go over 200deg no matter how hard I push it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	961.0 KB
ID:	2623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	2624  

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWILDCATS74 View Post
Rode Sat. and my bike stayed below 185 deg. . This was a big concern of mine because I had to try several combos before I could control the temp of my 840. I ended up with DASA's impellar , fan over ride switch, and engine ice. Also fattend up my lowend rpms to about 11.5. Man, I have to say before I broke my rear wheel off my bike it was amazing. I mean it was hitting HARD and would launch like a rocket.. Merlin & I were tearing up the trails... Also mixed racing fuel 110 octane leaded with 93 octane.. about a one to three ratio. My bike seemed to like it.
Why are you using the race fuel?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Why are you using the race fuel?
for the lead,it runs cooler,it burns cleaner,it burns faster,12.5 compression,advanced timing. all we have is reformulated unleaded and it sucks. i run pure race fuel with 2% nitro, ive put a ton of time and money in my machine,i change my engine oil after every ride and clean my air filter, a little overbored yea,but you will not see a engine fail on my machine unless i get carried away with NOS and then ill scatter it,i promise. why would anyone not run race fuel on a 840 and deff a std bore.please dont effin say cause it is pricey.

MERLIN MOTORSPORTS GROUP TERYX
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
for the lead,it runs cooler,it burns cleaner,it burns faster,12.5 compression,advanced timing. all we have is reformulated unleaded and it sucks. i run pure race fuel with 2% nitro, ive put a ton of time and money in my machine,i change my engine oil after every ride and clean my air filter, a little overbored yea,but you will not see a engine fail on my machine unless i get carried away with NOS and then ill scatter it,i promise. why would anyone not run race fuel on a 840 and deff a std bore.please dont effin say cause it is pricey.
I was thinking that it would run cooler and cleaner and on a 12.5 compression engine with the timing right should perform better but when I asked the other day I got mixed opinions. I am with Merlin on the pricey, I shot the crap out of the price issue long long ago and if I can benefit any from fuel I would not hesitate, I mean I have a 2006 Rhino that I put more miles on than I will my Teryx and it has 1200 miles on it, so the cost of my fuel will be a small % of the big picture and hey man when you smell race fuel it just makes you think fast.

Big Daddy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Actually it burns hotter, slower and dirtier. It has more octane therefore a larger molecule.

The whole point to run a higher octane fuel is to slow the burn down that was sped up by the higher compression pistons

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
I was thinking that it would run cooler and cleaner and on a 12.5 compression engine with the timing right should perform better but when I asked the other day I got mixed opinions. I am with Merlin on the pricey, I shot the crap out of the price issue long long ago and if I can benefit any from fuel I would not hesitate, I mean I have a 2006 Rhino that I put more miles on than I will my Teryx and it has 1200 miles on it, so the cost of my fuel will be a small % of the big picture and hey man when you smell race fuel it just makes you think fast.
Not to mention the fuel in my tank was four months old and getting stale.. Also I mixed because of the above reasons and if you would actually check a 93 octane fuel out of the pump it would range from 88 to 92 octane.. By the time the fuel is refined ,shipped and stored its octane rating isnt true. All I know is my bike responded better... ran cooler.. and yes Big Daddy the boys behind us loved our vapors

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Actually it burns hotter, slower and dirtier. It has more octane therefore a larger molecule.

The whole point to run a higher octane fuel is to slow the burn down that was sped up by the higher compression pistons
Oh, your right about that. But if your running say a true 12.5 to 1 ratio and your timing is advanced what should you do ?? Read my above post.. Stale fuel and all. I mixed so my octane was probably a true 93 to 96 octane. Have you seen what spark knock and predetenation does to a piston. I have seen people use higher octane fuel and NOT need it & guess what ? They Lost performance.. Trust me I didnt.. The fuel may not of contributed to my heat issue.. But I do know the combo I did made a huge diffrence in my temp. and my bike ran stronger than I ever remember it. Maybe just some good air thay day...

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWILDCATS74 View Post
KYWILDCATS,
I'm picking up Dasa's impellar also. How many quarts of ice do I need to refill the radiator? I'm planning on installing a fan override and I was wondering if you just made your own fan override switch and tapped into the factory fan or just purchased a kit. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement