What is a FI controller?? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What is a FI controller??

It seems there might be a little misunderstanding about what a FI controller is and what it is used for.

A FI controller has no use on Teryx because a FI controller is for a fuel injection vehicle such as the RZR or the new 700 Rhino. A FI controller is used on a fuel injected vehicle to be able to add or take away fuel just like jetting a carb but done electronically. The stock fuel injection systems have no way of changing the fuel requirements for any engine mods that change the fuel requirements of the engine. The stock system has what is called a Map which goes something like this: When sensor one says this and sensor two says this and sensor three says this then do that. When the data from any of the sensors change there is a Map written to cover it. But the human written maps do NOT cover changes that would occur from modifying an engine. There is also NO oxygen sensor like what is in your car to read air/fuel ratio and change the fueling on the fly. That is what is called a closed loop system and ATV's don't have that.

A FI controller can NOT be used on any aftermarket fuel injection as they are all custom made. All FI controllers are made only for the vehicle stated and are NOT universal. A FI controller is what is called a interceptor or conditioner which intercepts the signal from the sensors in the injection system and conditions the signal before it goes into the ECU and tricks it and some intercept what comes from the ECU and conditions it before it gets to the injector. Any aftermarket injection would have NO use for a FI controller because it would not have the limitations that the stock system has and would not need to be manipulated between the ECU, sensors and injectors.

All this being said, when the Teryx goes fuel injection you can bet Hunterworks will be ahead of the curve because we are already working with the manufacturers on the systems.

We have helped Dynatek, Velocity Devices and MSD in development for several ignitions and fuel controllers.

Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great information Todd, thanks so much for sharing!

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

I hope they don't go FI. I have customers put our 750 pistons and stage 3 cam in a 08' Brute and they dyno tuned it perfect. Then they put carbs on it and got 10 more RWHP out of it. The problem is with the big cams it takes to make real power the FI doesn't squirt soon enough and it doesn't stay on long enough.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

That is what the aftermarket systems will be able to do for you, add that fuel they need.

Four Stroke Tech, why you get in contact with me and we can talk about what you need on those kits?

I am working directly with MSD on testing some fuel controllers.

If I knew your problems and what you want to be able to do we might be able to get it in the programming.

I never thought about response time. Carbs react fast and computers take time to read the changes from all the sensors then tell the fuel injectors what to do.

Example: My 700 Rhino starts slower than my carb 660. The 700 needs to turn over a couple times for the ECU to ready the sensors.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
That is what the aftermarket systems will be able to do for you, add that fuel they need.

Four Stroke Tech, why you get in contact with me and we can talk about what you need on those kits?

I am working directly with MSD on testing some fuel controllers.

If I knew your problems and what you want to be able to do we might be able to get it in the programming.

I never thought about response time. Carbs react fast and computers take time to read the changes from all the sensors then tell the fuel injectors what to do.

Example: My 700 Rhino starts slower than my carb 660. The 700 needs to turn over a couple times for the ECU to ready the sensors.

The problem is when we open a valve 30* sooner and keep it open 40* longer the ECU's are not made to read that. The piggy back stuff out there only richens or leans it out for what the ECU will read. Alot on the mild cams will work OK but not mine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I will discuss this with MSD. I think they would be better equipped to take care of that than the others except for maybe Velocity Devices.

Either way MSD can do it.

Todd

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I will discuss this with MSD. I think they would be better equipped to take care of that than the others except for maybe Velocity Devices.

Either way MSD can do it.

Todd
Yes alot of people can do it. I worked with MSD before,it's not that they can't do it,just getting them to do it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

We'll see what I can do, maybe nothing but it won't be for trying!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement