MSD Mapping - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MSD Mapping

I just received my MSD. I just got the motor back in and am about to hook the MSD up to my Laptop. Should I just use setting 3?
I have Muzzy duals, Dalton Clutch, modded airbox/filter.

Salt Lake City, UT

09 Teryx FI Sport
Rear cage Extension with top and seat
Muzzy duals
Dalton Clutch
MSD
HIDs

2010 Dodge 2500 Cummins
08 Weekend Warroir 3200FS
08 KFX 450R (mild mods)
06 Ltr-450 (heavy mods)
99 Yamaha Badger 80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Everyone I have talked to or heard about have not had very good results from the maps that come in them, I have Todds map at Hunterworks and it performs great with the Muzzy, MSD, and clutch job I can top out at 68 mph and lot of low end power, There are several people that have good maps but again everybody that I have seen try the stock settings have been disappointed.

Big Daddy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
Everyone I have talked to or heard about have not had very good results from the maps that come in them, I have Todds map at Hunterworks and it performs great with the Muzzy, MSD, and clutch job I can top out at 68 mph and lot of low end power, There are several people that have good maps but again everybody that I have seen try the stock settings have been disappointed.
I just go it from Todd. Of course it's after hours and I'm taking off to the dunes. I'm not sure which tune I'm supposed to be using. Tune 5 seems like it has the most chages, but I'm not sure if it's for a stock motor setup or a BBK. Hope I can get in touch with him through here.

Salt Lake City, UT

09 Teryx FI Sport
Rear cage Extension with top and seat
Muzzy duals
Dalton Clutch
MSD
HIDs

2010 Dodge 2500 Cummins
08 Weekend Warroir 3200FS
08 KFX 450R (mild mods)
06 Ltr-450 (heavy mods)
99 Yamaha Badger 80

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnBigPapa View Post
I just go it from Todd. Of course it's after hours and I'm taking off to the dunes. I'm not sure which tune I'm supposed to be using. Tune 5 seems like it has the most chages, but I'm not sure if it's for a stock motor setup or a BBK. Hope I can get in touch with him through here.
None of the maps are set up for Big bore. I am pretty sure 5 is a hunterworks tune for the Muzzy exhaust and 9500 rev limit. So you are good. But if I was you and if you are going to upgrade ( performance wise) in the future at anytime I would get an airfuel gauge and tune your own bike. The maps are like a one size fits all... Meaning ahh it will work but its nothing like having your actuall size.. Mapping is easy, even a cave man can do it

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWILDCATS74 View Post
None of the maps are set up for Big bore.
Actually we have one for a 840 and a standard bore

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Actually we have one for a 840 and a standard bore
I was talking about the MSD's that were set up with like 5 maps. I was not aware that the ones you sell now have a pre-programed map for the 840 & standard. It really doesnt matter what preprogramed map you have it should still just be a starting point. You should have seen how much adjusting of the DASA map for a 09 840 I did. There are alot of factors..And you know how the 840's are to dial in. So, you can maybe do that for a stock engine with exhaust and some air filter mods but I dont see how you or anybody for that matter can sell a one size fits all map for a 840 or standard

Not trying to bust your chops, I just think vendors should tell people that this is JUST a starting point and this will JUST get you close. Or it may make you to lean or to rich or timing off depending on the specifics of your setup and the nature of your individual riding conditions, and your unique engine. ( Look I even helped you guys out with a disclaimer)

Last edited by KYWILDCATS74; 09-30-2010 at 08:43 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:03 AM

I assure you that when we give those maps out for kits we explain you need to double check it with a air/fuel ratio gauge. Way too much money spent at that point just to accept the map as it.

I can tell you though that I used our AMR 840 map the other day on another build and only changed one area by less than 5% and that small amount didn't change the way it ran or would it either hurt anything.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I assure you that when we give those maps out for kits we explain you need to double check it with a air/fuel ratio gauge. Way too much money spent at that point just to accept the map as it.

I can tell you though that I used our AMR 840 map the other day on another build and only changed one area by less than 5% and that small amount didn't change the way it ran or would it either hurt anything.
Glad to hear you do that.. Like I said , I wasnt trying to bust your chops .. Just a pet peave of mine.. You know how engines are.. As many that were as close as that AMR map was there will be the same in the other direction. Like I said 99% of the time the maps will be a good safe STARTING POINT. Just want the end users out there to know that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement