840 overheating issue - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

840 overheating issue

Well, after testing and going over every possability I still couldnt decide if my headgaskets were blown. I used a block check kit ( it uses a dye that changes color if combustion gasses are detected in your coolant) negative didnt change colors. Wouldnt over-heat trail riding all day, but would road riding. My engine ice had changed to a purpleish color... but I called the manufactor and they said that was normal because of the dye they used. If I ran the fan overide switch it would stay at 185 deg too with stock radiator. It did have some little black plastick looking peices floating in the coolant. Looked like a radiator hose was deteriorating some. So after second guessing myself I tore my engine down.. Sure enough both heads were blown! Looks like were they milled the heads from the factory it creates small lines that lead right to the coolant pasage. So I have sent my heads and jugs to be ground. I bet I will never have a heating issue or headgasket failure again. I also wasted my money on a PWR radiator. Because I ride with another 840 that has a stock radaitor with a dasa impellor and NEVER has overheated or got close. I wonder how many Teryx's out there are running with a slightly blown gasket and have been updating there coolant system and it is not the real issue. Again this was milled marks from the factory were they cut the heads. I bet there are alot of stock bikes out there with head gasket issues and the owners have no idea. Again there was NO coolant getting into my oil or into my cylinders and both heads were blown. Just a small amount of combustion was passing into my coolant under a load.. Like climbing a huge dune or hill and the temp would start climbing. Let it idle and it would get from 215 to 185:think: All this sounds like a common issue , espeacialy with 840 owners even though I dont think it is isolated to BBK, standard bore with the higher compression has the heating issues too. If I was doing one today I would pay the extra $180 bucks and have my heads ground and jugs right off the bat. Then for sure you wont have this issue.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx

Last edited by KYWILDCATS74; 02-06-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 PM

good post cat.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Maybe this is the reason the Teryx has had the reputation that the cooling system isnt up to par I know FST has no problems controling the heat with the stock system yet DASA and everybody else says you got to upgrade you radiator I would be willing to bet there are alot of blown head gaskets out there and the owners have no idea.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Also what did you come up with on the front end,that would be good to know. sorry for the hijack. lol
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit dog View Post
Also what did you come up with on the front end,that would be good to know. sorry for the hijack. lol
Well the diff project got put on hold after I began this. As soon as I get my engine back in good shape I will tackle that one. Also noticed something else. The rear cylinder was running really LEAN. Even though I tuned both. I think the scavaging changes depending on conditions so when I retune I am going to run the rear a little fatter to compensate for this.

Got your PM WVyankee, I will be joining .. Thanks

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:42 PM

I for one have the stock cooling system and don't at least at this time have cooling issues. Hey wildcat we are hoping to come your way this summer on vacation to ride. Possibly Coal Creek. Do you have any suggestions on a vacation worthy destination?

08 Teryx 840 stage III, dalton, dynatek, 48" bed delete", pds k2 cage, fusion head unit, alpine amp, fosgate 8" marine, kicker 10" sub.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketruck View Post
I for one have the stock cooling system and don't at least at this time have cooling issues. Hey wildcat we are hoping to come your way this summer on vacation to ride. Possibly Coal Creek. Do you have any suggestions on a vacation worthy destination?
Coal Creek is nice so is Brimestone or if you want the appalchian mtn feel Black Mtn. You wont go wrong with any of these places. I would probably recomend Brimestone out of the three .. But you will love any of them.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 PM

another way to check if you have blown head gaskets on the teryx which i learned when a had a vforce is to take a spark plug out and use an air compressor and force compressed air down the spark plug hole, if you get bubbles in the radiator you have a blown head gasket.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM

I have the stock rad. and stock impeller on my FST 840 with no issues runs between 190-215. I also run evans coolant.

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 PM

I will say this ... since day 1 doing 840 kits. ALOT OF cars that are run in the DUNES, DESERT, 80 to 100 degrees out side and PUSHED HARD .... DRIVEN HARD will overheat. Even cars with oil coolers, impellers, radiators and evans are blowing head gaskets. So what can you do ....

1. make sure surfaces are 100% flat
2. run good gas
3. install a temp gauge ..... once the car gets to 225 SHUT IT DOWN
4. make sure the system is burped and no air in the lines.

i am not saying EVERY 840 will blow head gaskets or that 840's have head gasket issues. Sandjunkie has an FST 840 with ported heads, stock valves and stock carbs ... NO ISSUES with about 2 seasons on it. Speeddemons FST 840 build with ported heads and 38mm throttle bodies NO ISSUES just over 1 season. I can name about 5 others right off the top of my head that HAVE had issues.

So IMO ... IMO ..... do the above 4 things mentioned and WATCH YOUR TEMPS. Get one of our new gauge pods .... this will put the temp gauge RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU .... if you are not in the sand and not pushing the car hard YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE AN ISSUE. I also feel outside temps play a big role. This is just what i have seen. i have logged a massive amount of dyno time and seat time in alot of 840 builds. The cars that are having head gasket issues .... are PUSHED HARD and DRIVEN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement