Choose MSD or Muzzy? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Choose MSD or Muzzy?

Well cleaned out the garage of some unwanted parts/tires etc. Now have some cash burning a hole in my pocket which is slated for the REX. Question is if you had to make a choice between MSD or Muzzy Pros what would you do? Currently motor is stock only minor upgrade is UNi with billet adaptor. I could do one not both for now. What's my best bang for the buck. I'd be interested to hear from some tuners as well on what they would choose.

"infected by the MAD KAW " Mudforce"

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
Mud Industries Snorkle with Armor tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 AM

You gotta do the MSD first because it allows you to remove the speed limiter and change the fuel and timing maps. If you do just the Muzzy then you'll still just be limited to 51 or 52 MPH and possibly run your motor lean. To get the most out of your Muzzy, you need the MSD.

2009 Kawasaki Teryx Sport
FU2Chassis 4 Seat Cage
TripleX Industries Rear Bench Seat
KBrown Customs HID kit
DASA Impeller
Fiber Skinz

Safety is no accident
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesZ400 View Post
You gotta do the MSD first because it allows you to remove the speed limiter and change the fuel and timing maps. If you do just the Muzzy then you'll still just be limited to 51 or 52 MPH and possibly run your motor lean. To get the most out of your Muzzy, you need the MSD.
I 100% agree with this and we have the MSD on sale right now

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 AM

The above is right, the Muzzy will give you alot more low to mid range power but you have no way to adjust the fuel even though it does not need alot, and you will get 10-14 mph by adding the msd, OH YEAH the Muzzy sounds bad as hell, if your not going to go with head work and bigger valves I would go with the standard Muzzy most reports show it will preform as good or better if you not going with the radical heads and I personally like the sound of the standard, not a big difference either way and you are going to LOVE both mods!!!

Big Daddy
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I 100% agree with this and we have the MSD on sale right now
Todd,
Just ordered my MSD from you today!
Thanks for the dealio!
Which map did you say should work w/ my Yoshimura's?
Can't wait till next week to put it all together!!!
Thanks,
PT

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
The above is right, the Muzzy will give you alot more low to mid range power but you have no way to adjust the fuel even though it does not need alot, and you will get 10-14 mph by adding the msd, OH YEAH the Muzzy sounds bad as hell, if your not going to go with head work and bigger valves I would go with the standard Muzzy most reports show it will preform as good or better if you not going with the radical heads and I personally like the sound of the standard, not a big difference either way and you are going to LOVE both mods!!!
What is the difference if any between Pros vs standard? The way I see it why not just put the pros on right away and be ready when and if you end up going in the motor. Why go through the hassle of pulling off standard muzzy and replacing? I don't know. I just want to make smart purchases as I plan to keep this car for a while. From what I've heard sound wise either one is gonna have me riding around with a Hard one. LOL.

Todd can you PM me on your latest MSD pricing.

Thanks

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Its not a big difference in sound, its a personel prefrence, the main thing I was saying is that the dyno sheets I have seen show that on stock machines that the standard do as good in some ones better than the pro, even the 840 unless you do bigger valves and tbs or carbs the standard will do just as good, the differences are the size of the pipe and the amount of back pressure thats why the standard does a little better on a stock, it has a little more back pressure, but its not a big difference in performance or price so your probally right if you might be going big, just buy the pro and it will work on anything you do and it will be a very minimal difference on stock good or bad. The main thing is all of the new ones run underneath and don't melt your side cover like the original Standard Muzzy.

Big Daddy
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM

Hey Nozzleweed, giver on the pro's after the msd for sure. The difference between pipes is indeed minimal on stock motor, but the pros are required for anything bigger. They are a bit louder though, but will definatley induce a (hard one). I would advise getting them coated though, cause I am assuming that you ride in muskeg like I do and it has a tendancy to smolder and burn on the pipes, so anything that helps keep the heat in the pipes is a plus.

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Here's some good reading to explain the basics of exhaust systems. It was written w/ 4/6 cyl cars in mind, but the basic principles hold true for all 4 stroke engines.
Back when I raced quads, we had different headers and tunes for differnt race tracks, ie: short tight arena cross vs big flat track courses w/ monster sweepers.
We would tune to get more torque or more top end, depending. It was combination of carbs, headers, gearing, tires, etc.

If you are running a stock motor w/ high flow air filter and msd, then the smaller diameter pipes will give you that bottom end while opening up your top some. A large diameter pipe of equal length on the stocker will actually hurt your bottem end because of lack of intake flow and loss of scavenging.

On the converse, a bbk w/ larger intake and cams are gonna benefit from the large diameter head pipes because they flow higher. But, using a smaller diameter pipe may cause the system to perform less than optimal because it is too restrictive or the header length is not tuned correct.

As far as sound goes, if that's all you want, put a slip on and call it good. I've had exhausts that sound like complete shit, but they performed unbelievable. I've personally ran everything from DG, to Supertrapp, to Sparks Racing, to FMF, to FST exhausts on quads w/ different combos of head pipe diameter, length, and mufflers.

Check these pages out, hopefully they will explain the concept.

Exhaust header design

Building performance exhaust systems

http://tom.marshall.tripod.com/exhaust.html

Last edited by ptpalms; 03-03-2011 at 03:16 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpalms View Post
Here's some good reading to explain the basics of exhaust systems. It was written w/ 4/6 cyl cars in mind, but the basic principles hold true for all 4 stroke engines.
Back when I raced quads, we had different headers and tunes for differnt race tracks, ie: short tight arena cross vs big flat track courses w/ monster sweepers.
We would tune to get more torque or more top end, depending. It was combination of carbs, headers, gearing, tires, etc.

If you are running a stock motor w/ high flow air filter and msd, then the smaller diameter pipes will give you that bottom end while opening up your top some. A large diameter pipe of equal length on the stocker will actually hurt your bottem end because of lack of intake flow and loss of scavenging.

On the converse, a bbk w/ larger intake and cams are gonna benefit from the large diameter head pipes because they flow higher. But, using a smaller diameter pipe may cause the system to perform less than optimal because it is too restrictive or the header length is not tuned correct.

As far as sound goes, if that's all you want, put a slip on and call it good. I've had exhausts that sound like complete shit, but they performed unbelievable. I've personally ran everything from DG, to Supertrapp, to Sparks Racing, to FMF, to FST exhausts on quads w/ different combos of head pipe diameter, length, and mufflers.

Check these pages out, hopefully they will explain the concept.

Exhaust header design

Building performance exhaust systems

exhaust header design
Well I have to admit your the first that has sided on the regular Muzzy. How much would it sacrifice the bottom end. Most seem to think the impact would be minimal. As well I've heard people talk about using whisper cores to further reduce flow while still on a stock motor. I'm by no means a Teryx performance guru. Out of a 750$ upgrade my expectation would be performance and a good exhaust tone. From what I have read and seen the Muzzy seems to hit the nail on the head for both.

Second question would be if my choice is to go with Muzzy before the MSD is there any negative impact on the motor at all. I know the concesus seems to be MSD first. For myself just trying to lay the money down on the exhaust while its in my hand is a good idea. My wife seems to have the ability to funnel my quad cashflow into other areas LOL> I know noone else will agree with me here in public but you know it goes on behind the scenes. LOL>

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift

Last edited by Nozzleweed; 03-03-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement