Muzzy tall gear kit - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Muzzy tall gear kit

Sorry im new so if I ask any repeat questions let me know. Nyone using the muzzy tall gear kit? May be stupid but I live in a small town and I just want to ride my teryx everywhere. My goal is to have a dependable ride that I can make street legal and ride it to town and get groceries if I want. I do trail ride also but mostly just hop on and go. My goal is to get out on the highway and run the speed limit without running high rpm's. I want to do everything I can to get dependable MPH. Thinking tall gears, Clutch mods, Exh, programmer, and what ever else I need without stroker. Will prob go big bore after I get everything else. Kinda like a Baja machine. Is this crazy because im gonna do it or bust? Does anyone have a parts list for this mod? My goal is to see Side X Sides safely run the roads street legal just as motorcycles and other vehicles other than cars and trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejunbug View Post
Sorry im new so if I ask any repeat questions let me know. Nyone using the muzzy tall gear kit? May be stupid but I live in a small town and I just want to ride my teryx everywhere. My goal is to have a dependable ride that I can make street legal and ride it to town and get groceries if I want. I do trail ride also but mostly just hop on and go. My goal is to get out on the highway and run the speed limit without running high rpm's. I want to do everything I can to get dependable MPH. Thinking tall gears, Clutch mods, Exh, programmer, and what ever else I need without stroker. Will prob go big bore after I get everything else. Kinda like a Baja machine. Is this crazy because im gonna do it or bust? Does anyone have a parts list for this mod? My goal is to see Side X Sides safely run the roads street legal just as motorcycles and other vehicles other than cars and trucks.
I got the brute force bevel gears i think there probably the same as muzzys tall gear kit, that with an overdrive clutch plate and a cdi you should be able to get to 70-75mph and if you get a standard bore kit with the cams you can pull more rpm gaining more speed. Or if it is strictly a road unit you could put v force gearing in i had it but its hard on belts, if you do ride trails but mine would go well over 80mph with just the v force gears but u loose low gear i took that gearing out of my machine

Good luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM

I am going with the Brute bevel gears in mine , I will be running the 840 with a good bit of clutch work, and I am shooting for at least 80 mph but mainly want to be able to run 65-70 without screaming the rpms to death but I am just like you live in a small town and get away with alot of hwy running without stirring up all of my buddies in the police dept, since I have been on the Fire Dept here for 28 years they sort of let me slide a little, but I too never run low gear, I think I have had mine in low gear one time, I talked to John at vforce and I think he said the gears are a little over 200.00 and that is all you have to have and I think it raises your overall gear ratio 10-12 %, my best friend did his and he said it dropped his rpms drastically at 70 mph and its not a major job, main thing is you don't have to split the gear case, there are a couple of other options but unless I change my mine that is what I will be doing, keep me posted on what you do.

Big Daddy

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 PM

According to Muzzys the gear will let you run roughly 50+mph in low gear. Not sure what that equates to in high gear. I'm planning on going with the tall gear kit eventually or perhaps putting on in a teryx just to see what it does. We climb hills and do quite a bit of mud/trail riding here so the low gear without running out of motor could be fun. If we get one in the next week or so I will post the results. My teryx is a stock 08, and we have an 09 with full Muzzys exhaust, dalton clutch, overdrive plate, and msd box. I believe the top speed on the modded unit is roughly 72mph or so on a flat road with the windshield. The 08 is mine and I couldnt care less about top speed. I'm looking for low end and the higher speed in low gear might be perfect for climbing hills and stuff like that.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm thinking you will be burning belts on the trails, if you go that high of gear that you are at low rpms at 50+mph and then try to use that high of gearing to climb hills and run deep mud. Further, I think realistically 50+ mph and low rpms would require more hp (a lot more hp). I understand 50mph+ on the highway with low rpms may be possible with higher gearing but I see the offroad ability going way down. I'm not saying you can't run trails with higher gearing, but its a trade off.
I'd add some overdrive to the clutch and get the right clutch set up (VFJ or Dalton and Overdrive), taller tires for the street and smaller tires for the trails, and add some hp/more ccs.

Last edited by DougS; 03-17-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: corrected error
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

I take it that this gear install is in the trans and not an axle gear swap. Its gonna take me a while to stop thinking car. not realy ready to split case yet.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I take it that this gear install is in the trans and not an axle gear swap. Its gonna take me a while to stop thinking car. not realy ready to split case yet.
You must not have seen in my post that you did not have to split the transmission main case, it is under the left side case where the drive gears come out, in my opinion it will be easier than doing a pinion gear swap.

Big Daddy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks. Thats from vforce john? What other clutch mods do u have?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Is there a site I can go to where I can look at some parts?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Is there a site I can go to where I can look at some parts?
I just have vforce john stage 3 mod and a spring and wieght kit similar to a dalton kit, I agree with you I would not want to split the main gear case unless I had to, but the bevel gears can be changed with the motor in the Teryx.

Big Daddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement