pros/cons disabling KEBC? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

pros/cons disabling KEBC?

Just wondering about disabling the KEBC?
Pros/Cons?

Also, can you just unplug it to disable (temporarily) until opening up the clutch at a later time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx595 View Post
Just wondering about disabling the KEBC?
Pros/Cons??
all pros in my opinion ..... i hate when i let off the gas and it brakes automatically. When i want the car to brake ... I WILL PUSH THE BRAKES. I will also say i think it is dangerous and in the rocks and sand it will make the car get sideways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx595 View Post
Also, can you just unplug it to disable (temporarily) until opening up the clutch at a later time?
YES .... just unplug it NO ISSUES.

Here is a cool billet cover we make. So you can REMOVE the complete KEBC. It is not a flat plate. It actually uses the stock rubber gasket to.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you are going down trails with big hills KEBC is nice.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
If you are going down trails with big hills KEBC is nice.
My brake is disconnected and with the Dalton kit it really doesn't change much. There is still engine braking power, you just have to burp the throttle a bit to keep it engaged. That is with no rivets or screws (840 clutching) before I did BBK I had aluminum rivets and 3 screws and when descending a steep hill with KEBC disconnected the engine braking was actually strong enough to stop the machine in the middle of the hill, then clutch would release and freewheel until you burp the throttle to engage it again. I definately don't miss my KEBC it makes for much smoother slow speed riding.

PS: The DASA cover is a nice piece that fits perfect.

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

I have been down some steep enough, long technical slopes on the edge of a mountain bank that you don't want to have to burp the throttle, as the your brakes are having a hard time holding you back at a safe speed and causing you to slide a bit, and you seem to get that clutch release just when you don't want it (ie going down/cresting a bump drop off just before the real steep part of the hill with technical issues at the bottom). KEBC is nice in those situations, when its steep/technical enough that you want to be going less than that 5-7mph. This is not a situation that would matter to me in the dunes or a fireroad in the desert.

I also know someone on both Teryx forums that told me a story about how he almost lost his Teryx off a cliff at a Rally in Utah, as his brakes overheated and failed. KEBC may have helped some. If he wants to post his story he can.

To put things in perspective though, I have the DASA KEBC removal plate and a modified DASA OD cover, but a few rides I'd rather have my KEBC back (not most, but the odd one). One trial I ride, I'd put it back in if I knew I was running it in advance for sure.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASARACING View Post
all pros in my opinion ..... i hate when i let off the gas and it brakes automatically. When i want the car to brake ... I WILL PUSH THE BRAKES. I will also say i think it is dangerous and in the rocks and sand it will make the car get sideways.

YES .... just unplug it NO ISSUES.

Here is a cool billet cover we make. So you can REMOVE the complete KEBC. It is not a flat plate. It actually uses the stock rubber gasket to.

In the Desert and Dunes the KEBC sucks!!!, but I could see that on great big hills it would be nice. and the Dasa plate is TITS!! perfect fit!!! Thanks Steve.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM

It don't get much worse than wv & ten. I have a VFJ stage 3 clutch mod with springs. KEB removed 99% of the time would not help much. They onley work under 5 MPH And they will cut groves in your sheave. Also can run 49 MPH in low range.My.02
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM
eez

i would suggest unplugging it and trying it out for yourself. Thats what i did and i prefered it installed for the steep technical down hills i frequent every time i ride but in the trails liked it a lil better without. I leave mine connected but wish you could switch it on and off. Also i dont have a clutch kit so when i get mine installed ill try without kebc again.

09 monster, msd & muzzy std, dalton clutch kit and od plate (not installed yet), viper 4500 with synthetic rope, homemade alum. roof, homemade uhmw skids, homemade catch can, uni slip-on filter with billet adapter, 26.5 pitbull rockers on stock sport rims, hid's from sxs customs, oddyssey 925 with sandjunkies mount, motels full windshield, induced fab doors, 62 mph top speed on speedo
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 PM

I woudn't disconnect it for two reasons.

1.) It's nice to have when I use it when towing and technical stuff.
2.) My wife is the primary user and I wouldn't even consider removing it for this reason alone.

I say that the KEBC would be cumbersome on racing applications but not on day to day duties.

2009 Kawasaki Teryx Sport Monster Edition
OEM Roof
OEM Fender Flares
Viper MX4000 winch with Synthetic cable

2007 Suzuki Vinson 500.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great replies.
I think I'll unhook it and ride a bit before deciding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement