2010 msd - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2010 msd

I am not new to programmers or plug in boxes, but i am new to them when they are installed on an ATV. I have always had them on my diesel trucks.

My questions are...

When putting something like an MSD on your teryx, do you need to have the teryx modded in any other way?

Will adding the MSD increase the likelyhood of breaking the engine?

The power that is added, does it re-write the fuel mapping, or is all the power gained based on the eliminating the top end limiter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 PM

On a stock machine with just a MSD, your gaining more top speed by raising the rpm limiter and I think most advance the timing some for some additional power.

2010 Teryx
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 PM

The Charge FI modifies the stock fuel flow rate, and timing advance which is fully user adjustable via the "spreadsheet" style software it comes with. You can add or take away fuel based on throttle position and rpm. The timing is also added to the factory advance, it is based on map and rpm.
As far as modifications, you will most likely get oil pushed in the intake if you raise the rev limiter past 8600 or so. IMO the Msd a good choice for noticable power gains.
I also recall reading somewhere that the teryx timing is retarded 12 def until you reach 10 mph.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Good info. So, is the MSD an adjustable type box? Or does it come pre-programmed with settings in it and then just plug and play?

The reason i ask if it is adjustable, for now I am going to leave most everything stock, and then as time goes on and learn more about my machine and get a plan on what I want it to be able to do, i will then start making mods, but for now it is just something me amd my wife can enjoy riding dirt roads.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykoser View Post
The Charge FI modifies the stock fuel flow rate, and timing advance which is fully user adjustable via the "spreadsheet" style software it comes with. You can add or take away fuel based on throttle position and rpm. The timing is also added to the factory advance, it is based on map and rpm.
As far as modifications, you will most likely get oil pushed in the intake if you raise the rev limiter past 8600 or so. IMO the Msd a good choice for noticable power gains.
I also recall reading somewhere that the teryx timing is retarded 12 def until you reach 10 mph.

MSD did not address a timing retard and I can't find proof the EFI version of Teryx has a timing retard. Watching the timing advance function live on the MSD the timing advances as soon as you start revving the engine up.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGA View Post
I am not new to programmers or plug in boxes, but i am new to them when they are installed on an ATV. I have always had them on my diesel trucks.

My questions are...

When putting something like an MSD on your teryx, do you need to have the teryx modded in any other way?

Will adding the MSD increase the likelyhood of breaking the engine?

The power that is added, does it re-write the fuel mapping, or is all the power gained based on the eliminating the top end limiter?
No need in adding anything else when adding the MSD but don't expect alot by itself except to get by your rev and speed limiters. Very little gains can be had by playing with timing and fuel on a otherwise stock Teryx

Adding the MSD has no bearing on the reliability of the engine

Question three was answered in answer one.

For a real power gain, add the Muzzy pipe along with the MSD. We preprogram the MSD to match the pipe.

Todd

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Good info. So, is the MSD an adjustable type box? Or does it come pre-programmed with settings in it and then just plug and play?

The reason i ask if it is adjustable, for now I am going to leave most everything stock, and then as time goes on and learn more about my machine and get a plan on what I want it to be able to do, i will then start making mods, but for now it is just something me amd my wife can enjoy riding dirt roads.
The Msd comes pre- programmed, and is also adjustable. There is 10 setting on it. The first 3 come pre-programmed from Msd, the other 7 are fully customizable. Depending on where you choose to buy from, it might come with more tunes programmed. I would recommend you check out Hunterworks, he has done alot of testing and has good maps for stock exhaust, also a good price and very helpful.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:

As it comes from MSD it is not actually pre-programmed it has ten programmable curves and several are locked out but companies like Hunterworks take a vehicle add mods and then make maps to match actual products.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 AM

Buy from a vendor that gives you the programmed msd.

09 teryx- msd ignition - water impellar - half windsheild - uni filter - standard muzzy - sdr rear bumper - hid lights - dalton clutch- water temp guage - ss108 14 inch with terra cross - dasa kebc block off plate - brake alarm buzzer - over drive plate -ssv works sound system -removable canvas top-odyssey battery- rock sliders
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Adding the MSD has no bearing on the reliability of the engine
Todd
If you don't know better and set the rev limiter to high it could definately have a drastic effect on the reliability of the engine.

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws
Sponsored Links
Advertisement