Mixture screw question - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mixture screw question

I have seen this posted in multiple places, if you can't get your idle mixture where you need it between 1 to 3 turns, then you need to change your pilot jet. Is there a reason why not to have it more than 3 turns out? Is it because vibration could possible cause the screw to turn itself out? If so could you apply a little silicon so that it will not back out? Would 3.5 turns be to much?

The reason I am asking is because I had to install a 35 pilot because my 1/4 to 3/4 readings were to rich and my needle clips were on the first position. I was reading high 10's to low 11's. Now I have finally dialed in the 1/4 to 3/4, of course after I had dialed in the main jet, but I am averaging 13.3 or so at idle with 3 turns out on the mixture screw. The gauge will bounce around any where between 12.9 and 13.6. Are these readings ok? Or should I try for 3.5 turns out? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Saw this online and thought of this post.

"The ideal procedure for setting the screw in the correct position is to warm up your ATV engine to the proper operating temperature. Then turn the idle up so it is idling about 500 RPM’s higher than normal. Next turn the airscrew all the way in until it bottoms out, once bottomed out slowly back the screw out a turn at a time (give the engine 10-15 seconds between each turn of the screw, to allow the engine to catch up with the adjustments). Continue backing the airscrew out until the engine idles at its highest RPM. The preferred setting window is between 1 and 2.5 turns. If the engine idles at its highest RPM from 0-1 turns out this means the pilot setting is on the Lean side and a larger pilot jet should be installed. If the engine idles at its highest RPM at over 2 turns out, this means the pilot setting is on the Rich side and a smaller pilot jet should be installed."

"Rich Jetting Symptoms and Solutions
1.Motor won't idle and idle set screw is ineffective. Try leaning out the air screw by turning it counter clockwise a quarter turn at a time. If the air screw has no effect, install a leaner pilot jet and return the air screw to 1 turn out. Proper air screw settings are usually between 1 and 2 1/2 turns out. The correct pilot for your bike is one that allows instant off-idle throttle response, and allows the air screw to be effective between 1 and 2.5 turns out. If the problem still exists, check and clean the choke circuit and carb vent lines.
2.Motor stumbles off idle to 1/2 throttle, then cleans up. If everything in part A above is correct, check the needle. Stock position is usually in the middle, but check your owner's manual to be sure. To lean out the needle, you need to raise the clip. If the needle is dropped all the way lean and problem still exists, try a leaner needle.
3.Motor will rev through the mid range then becomes gurgley (technical term) at full throttle and power is sluggish. This is a text book example of a rich main jet. This problem often occurs when an air filter becomes clogged and gets worse as the motor heats up. Choose a main jet with a smaller number and lean out the air fuel mixture one step at a time. If the problem still persists even though it's improved a little, reinstall your original main jet and lean out the needle one position. Now fine tune the main jet with plug checks." or air fuel gauge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingin_dirt View Post
I have seen this posted in multiple places, if you can't get your idle mixture where you need it between 1 to 3 turns, then you need to change your pilot jet. Is there a reason why not to have it more than 3 turns out? Is it because vibration could possible cause the screw to turn itself out? If so could you apply a little silicon so that it will not back out? Would 3.5 turns be to much?

The reason I am asking is because I had to install a 35 pilot because my 1/4 to 3/4 readings were to rich and my needle clips were on the first position. I was reading high 10's to low 11's. Now I have finally dialed in the 1/4 to 3/4, of course after I had dialed in the main jet, but I am averaging 13.3 or so at idle with 3 turns out on the mixture screw. The gauge will bounce around any where between 12.9 and 13.6. Are these readings ok? Or should I try for 3.5 turns out? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
You was correct on the reason to change jets with the possibility of it coming out.

That AFR is fine if it is running fine at idle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement