The dyno and the Teryx - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The dyno and the Teryx

After I got my baseline hp number for the teryx exhaust test, I got to playing around with the dyno and I was thinking about how someone might screw with the dyno numbers to make their part do better so I just put 20% of a load with the load control and guess what the number jumped up two or three HP.

See a dyno measures torque and then mathematically converts it to HP.

You usually get the highest numbers where the engine is doing the most work therefore if you put a load on it, it does more work therefore the number goes up.

This is just one of many ways to manipulate numbers.

The following are a few more ways to manipulate the numbers:

Change to smooth tires between runs

Change to smaller tires between runs

Add more tire pressure

Change the correction factor in the dyno software between runs.

Loosen or tighten the tie down straps on vehicle.

Point is, take dyno numbers with a grain of salt unless you know for sure you can trust the person running it.

One promise I have made is to never manipulate numbers and keep comparisons fair as they can be and then let the chips fall where they may.

Trust me we would have a few more performance products for UTV's if I trusted the manufacturers. Since we bought our own dyno we found out more what didn't work than what does.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Todd im glad we have someone we can trust on our side here man,thats means alot bro...

2009 Browning 850 XP
Deluxe front/rear bumpers
Polaris Front storage box
K&N filter
HID headlight kit

Camo Teryx LE (SOLD)
http://community.webshots.com/user/hdsilverado
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 PM

Uh..Ohh.. Discussions like these may mean bad news for something or somebody(?) We have faith and know the truth is out there!!

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Take a note, HW does not sell air intakes, exhaust and clutch kits for the Rhino 660 or 700 for that matter. The clutch kits for a rhino won't work and the intake and exhaust only work on a highly modified engine, they are pure waste on a stock engine.

Todd

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

This is why I don't use a dyno for all my R&D work. Until you put it on the ground, run it around a track,up a dune or down the drag strip you don't know if a cam,porting,pipe,carb or compression ratio did any good or not. You may get big peak numbers on the dyno from one pipe but on the track your lap time go down. How quick it pulls out of the corners and off the line is the real test. Again I'm not downing anyone or dyno's for that matter it's just not the final answer.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 AM

dynos are nice for a baseline and a/f reading,but like mickey said the real test is on the track

red le
30" XXL's
nukes
custom radio
belt snorkels
dyna
HW carb kit
overdrive plate
xpatv lift
super atv bumper
Night Owl Hids
k&N billet intake
grant wheel
yellow top optima
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 AM

It seems like there would be too many variables on the track to do a fair comparison test.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 02:00 PM

After hearing Mickey & Todd, I come away with the feeling that the dyno is an excellent tool for comparing performance products if you can maintain the same levels for all the other variables while you're testing so you're comparing apples to apples.....hence the need for honesty. Then when you've sorted out & determined the top several products you find a track or dune or whatever & see if what you have really is the big improvement you think it is. And yes, with all the variables in a racing situation the best or fastest may not win. At least with Mickey & Todd doing all the work & having all the investment, we don't have to. Thanks again guys for sharing.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

FST,

I can see that but let me ask you something.

Explain this?

The dyno measures torque by measuring how quick the vehicle on the dyno accelerates the drum compared to RPM.

From my point of view, if one product on the engine spins up the drum quicker than another then it will do the same thing on the track.

The dyno is dumb it just knows when something moves the drum at a faster rate than before and I can't see how something that makes it spin up slower would out perform on the track.

By the way, I am not arguing with you. If you can explain it to me then I am ahead.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
FST,

I can see that but let me ask you something.

Explain this?

The dyno measures torque by measuring how quick the vehicle on the dyno accelerates the drum compared to RPM.

From my point of view, if one product on the engine spins up the drum quicker than another then it will do the same thing on the track.

The dyno is dumb it just knows when something moves the drum at a faster rate than before and I can't see how something that makes it spin up slower would out perform on the track.

By the way, I am not arguing with you. If you can explain it to me then I am ahead.

I in no way think you are trying argue with me. Here is one thing that I had to learn, my 900's make alot of torque and good HP on the dyno, but the more torque you put down at first it will make it read higher HP on the chassis dyno. If my 900 and my 840 show the same HP on the chassis dyno the 840 will win the race in a drag. The 900 will come off the line the first 10 feet harder but the 840 will run it down and pass it. The simple fact that I had to learn is the torque will mess you up. I have always liked torque motors and love strokers but they have to be built with bigger valves and sometime bigger cams to run with or out run a smaller motor. The chassis dyno's just don't show everything with these CVT motors(in fact they mask what is really going on),hence the reason why I got both dyno's by the same company with the same 9" toroidal flow water brake absorber. Land & Sea didn't make them a year ago but now you can buy the same system I have for the Kawie V-twin motors, everyone should have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement