need info - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

need info

Hello! I am picking up my new Teryx tommoro, I have had Honda 3 and 4 wheelers all my life and I am getting my first ruv. I have friends that have kawasaki 4 wheelers and they bought rhinos. They have warned me about the seals in the differentials being sloppy in design. Does anyone know if they have made any improvements on the 09 teryx? And for any of you that do have a teryx, have you had any problems if you have or have not how many miles do you expect you have on your machine and what type of conditions do you ride in. I usaually get in alot of mud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 PM

I think the problem with the seal is the seal in the yoke going into the front diff. If your in two wheel drive and do alot of spinning the front drive shaft spins on a shaft in the front diff and it gets so hot it melts the seal.

This happened to me on the dyno with the rear wheels turning and the front not. Happened to another guy on here who was spinning in ice in 2wd.

Todd

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I think the problem with the seal is the seal in the yoke going into the front diff. If your in two wheel drive and do alot of spinning the front drive shaft spins on a shaft in the front diff and it gets so hot it melts the seal.

This happened to me on the dyno with the rear wheels turning and the front not. Happened to another guy on here who was spinning in ice in 2wd.

Todd
Is there an aftermarket seal available somewhere than can handle the heat?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 PM

most likely caused by running something at 70 mph when it was designed to run at 45 mph!
people have to realise that we are asking more out of these buggies than they were ever designed to do. Along with that will come weak points that will have to be dealt with.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Todd
Todd, I think you mean when it's in 4WD not 2WD, Doesn'tthe front shaft only turn when in 4WD, but correct me if I'm wrong. I have been told that there is a bushing inside behind the oil seal that wears and creates a very slight wobble of the front yoke which in turn causes the oil seal to leak. Please, let me know what has been your experience because I am just trying to get myself educated on my machine. Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:39 PM

Desertdog,

I meant what I said. The front drive shaft still turns in 2wd. 4WD is engaged by a sliding bushing with teeth on it behind the yoke in the front diff. The front diff yoke rides on a smooth shaft with a brass bushing in it. Under normal conditions the rear wheels don't spin that much compared to the front. If you were on ice in 2wd or on a dyno then the rear wheels would spin alot create heat on that shaft and melt the seal or like you said wear the bushing and cause wobble and wear on the seal.

The fix?? If you are spinning a lot, go 4wd.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Desertdog,

I meant what I said. The front drive shaft still turns in 2wd. 4WD is engaged by a sliding bushing with teeth on it behind the yoke in the front diff. The front diff yoke rides on a smooth shaft with a brass bushing in it. Under normal conditions the rear wheels don't spin that much compared to the front. If you were on ice in 2wd or on a dyno then the rear wheels would spin alot create heat on that shaft and melt the seal or like you said wear the bushing and cause wobble and wear on the seal.

The fix?? If you are spinning a lot, go 4wd.
Hey Todd,
Thanks for the info. I thought the front shaft only spins when the front wheels are engaged with the 4wd. My bad. My Teryx had the brass bushing go bad and then the seal started to leak. It has been fixed. However, I was concern why mine has leaked in the first place, with only 40 hrs on it, but then I remembered....dyno'd twice! Now, I am also concerned about alot of riding in the sand dunes because the wheels are constantly spinning and I am always in 4wd. Are you saying that it is actually better to run with the 4Wd engaged?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM

If you are doing alot of spinning in 2wd yes, use 4wd. Spinning in 4wd won't hurt anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement