Help - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Angry Help

I am in need of some help! I have a 08 teryx, with after market cdi box and K&N air filter... other than that completely stock... I cannot get it to start! It has been gradually getting harder to start le last few trips!! To get it to start last trip I had to choke it and step on the gas to get it to start!! I have been riding from about 2500' to about 5000" and can really feel it drag and starve for air? felt like it wanted to go but half power... now back at home (2500') AND IT WILL NOT START! hAD THAT "LOAD UP" problem I read about on this site ( ripping along down the street 50+ and bogg, big cloud of white smoke, pull over sit, bog, bog, ok off I go... NEVER WOULD GO 60mph again!!) It will not start, any tips? Valve job? Probably 10 trips since "LOAD UP", feels like it has less punch after each trip,maybe... Now in low elevation, feels like something is really holding it back! (like it used to do before new CDI, WANTS TO KEEP PULLING BUT SOMETHING HOLDING IT BACK!! I cant even get it started now any advice would be greatly appreciated!! HELP I need my motorized fix and need to repair MYSELF if possible!! thanks, DAVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 AM

I would pull the plugs first and look at them
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 AM

No start!

If it won't start at all now then the first place I would start is to check all your connections where the carbs join the intake boots, known to pop out and could be half way out, good enough to start and bad enough to make run bad. You may also want to just plug in your stock cdi just incase it has died? - who's brand are you using? If this stuff is ok then see if you have spark then pull the spark plugs and have a look at them. I assume it has good fuel and oil/coolant levels are good. See what the plugs look like, you may be overfueling if you have not done anything to the jetting because of your elevation changes. If you have been messing around the engine, check your throttle and choke cables/connections and make sure routed properly. Just a few things I would be checking out, oh, just remembered these things have a fuel pump and a few people did have them fail, maybe no fuel...? That sure won't help things. Good luck, check it out and let us know.

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 10:36 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you have oil in the air box?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

hAD A LITTLE OIL IN BOTTOM OF AIRBOX... ASSUMED IT WAS FROM AIR FILTER AND GRAVITY...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:31 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You likely have oil blow by and need a catch can or to drop your oil a bit but still more than half on the dip stick. Common for a 750 Kawi motor.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Vsquared,

Where do you live?

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

I live in Phoenix Az. I have a dynatek cdi... I pulled plugs, black with carbon but not bad! Should fuel filter be full when cranking over? Nothin is loose around carbs or air box, all connections seem to be snug. switched cdi back to stock, no change,wont start! Can I disconnect fuel line to see if fuel pump is good? Should it continuously flow out, like a hose, when ignition is on? Tried draining bottom of carbs, nothing would come out the lines, just the screw holes! Should I Pull plug and rest against steel to ensure spark? Any other tricks to narrow problem down? I want to avoid the dealer if I can!!! Thanks for the responses, VSQUARED
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 AM

The fuel pump only pumps fuel when the engine is turning over.

The fuel filter should only be about half full or so.

The only way fuel will come out the bowls is to turn the drain screws over.

We do a fuel, spark and compression test here.

Pull fuel pump line loose from carb and turn it over a few times, it should pulse out slowly.

Pull a plug, put wire back on and ground the plug then turn engine over watch for spark.

Compression is most likely fine.

Todd

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

thanx

Hey thanks alot I will try and make sure i am getting spark... Where is here ( in Az.?) and how much is the average compresion ,fuel , spark test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement