Eagle Plow and Winch Installation Review - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs down Eagle Plow and Winch Installation Review

I knew better but after asking a few questions about quality and ease of installation to American Manufacturing sales staff, I bought their complete plow set up with 60" blade and 3500lb winch. I needed this for my 2008 Teryx which is my favorite machine I have ever owned. I'm not going to bore you with the 5 nights of details but I would never, EVER recommend this company to anyone. The instructions they gave in the box were a joke. 1 photo copied, single sided piece of paper for the whole plow and 1 small page for the winch wiring and installation. No online diagrams or help what so ever. Putting the winch in was like putting a puzzle together and their idea of minor trimming of the plastic and mine are two different things. The bumper wouldn't go back on without grinding the winch bolts down and 2 of the only 4 screws the hold the front plastic on are covered up by the plow skid plate. Now I need to drill new holes if I don't want the plastic flapping around. That's all. I've vented. Hopefully I can save someone else a little aggervation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 AM

I hate to hear that. We have been selling American for about four years and they have been great. First I heard of a fitment issue.

Their have been some part failures in the past but they changed them and replaced for free.

Last time I got plow in here it was all put together and the bolts already in the right holes so there was no question where anything went.

Todd

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 09:21 AM

I agree with Todd. I think the Eagle plow is a great plow and value.

I put a 72" Eagle plow on my 08 Teryx last year. I highly recommend 72" plow for the teryx. I ordered the complete plow and winch from American Mfg. , the staff made this process very easy.

To be honest with Donner, I dont remember the instruction sheets that came with it, but I do remember I installed the unit in one night after work. I am a shade tree mechanic. As I remember the hardest part was routing the power line from the battery to the winch since I wanted to keep it tucked away for a clean install.

Every thing lined up and fit just fine. I do agree I had to cut alot of plastic of the plastic grill, but was able to reinstall with a tight fit.

The control switch comes with a long cord so I velcro the switch to near the shifter so I can remove it and operate the winch outside the cab. I also used a tractor implement pin to attact the plow to the mount so I can easily remove the plow.

I used the plow all last winter, and we do get alot of snow in South Dakota, without any problem. I just reinstalled the plow last week. I was a bit worried, I rode all summer with the mounting plate in place and had bottomed out a few times on the tabs hanging down and thought I may have bent them out of aligment, but I installed it in minutes using the pins without a problem.

My only complaint is the winch is loud and sound rough. I called American on this issue and they said and they agreed thier winch is loud but that did not affect the operation of the winch. I had to remind myself it was a $80.00 winch and it has done the job.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM

I just got done dealing with American Eagle. I bought the 72" plow from Rocky Mountain Atv and the plow mount ended up bending after plowing a few times. Rocky Mountain advised there was no issue with the plow mount and I must have abused it to bend it. I told them there was a known issue with the original mount and they would not warranty it. I called American Eagle and they are sending me a new and redesigned plow mount no questions asked. They have great customer service in my opinion. Very happy with the plow. I have installed three American Eagle plows on three different machines. No complaints.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

I've used Eagle before as well and it went ok and this time I'll admit I may have done something wrong but I can only assume I have it out together correctly because there is NOTHING to compare it to.

Deadwood, how did you get the bottom screws to fasten tightly on th eplastic cover over the bumper?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:53 AM

Eagle Plow and Winch Installation Review-img_1127.jpgDonner I did not use the two bottom screws. I cut the plastic to clear the plow mounting plate, slide it under the plate and tighten the plate to secure the plastic.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Does anyone know anything on the moose setup? Im on the fence between the two....... This thread started me out ready to order moose, then people stepped up for eagle. I guess my biggest question is the mounting system. Are they different or similar?
Thanks for any input......

2009 teryx LE, blue
Warn 2500 rt winch
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:29 PM

i just purchased a 72" plow from american, and love it!! i thought the install was easy and would by another one again.

09 monster sport teryx
08 kx450f
08 mega lite toyhauler
04 polaris 800 sled
04 chevy 2500
00 polaris 800 sled
98 caravelle
96 trans am
83 girlfriend
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 AM

American Eagle FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I hate to hear that. We have been selling American for about four years and they have been great. First I heard of a fitment issue.

Their have been some part failures in the past but they changed them and replaced for free.

Last time I got plow in here it was all put together and the bolts already in the right holes so there was no question where anything went.

Todd
I purchased an Eagle Gen II system less than 6 months ago for my Yamaha Grizzly 450 non-EPS. I'm REALLY disappointed. From the day I received it, I found and continue to have problems. The blade was damaged due to improper shipping protection. Upon assembly, I found that the manufacturer had assembled parts with an impact gun that should NOT have been assembled and required me to disassemble the pivot and locking pin to assemble the push tube properly. The quad mount had the wrong size bolts included in the packaging. The mount just recently broke a rear bolt,the weld failed and the mounting ear bent. I did not strike anything and was only plowing 2 inches of snow when I heard the pop. After contacting them, they promised replacement but dropped the ball. Contacted them again. They shipped out a defective mount that was missing welds that connect the tabs on either side. Contacted them AGAIN. Dropped the ball. Jeff Hough said HE would inspect the mount prior to shipping (since he was the designer) and send it out with a call tag for the defective mounts to be returned. After not receiving any info about tracking or it being shipped, I contacted him again. He dropped the ball AGAIN. The shipping person never inspected the mount to make sure the welds were there. (Wait! I thought you said YOU would check it?) Gave me the wrong tracking info. Today I see Fedex pull up unexpectedly. He dropped a box but left before I could get outside and didn't pickup or leave a pickup ticket for the earlier defect. Failed AGAIN. Open the box....you guessed it. Missing the welds. Last conversation Jeff had said he would ship ANOTHER mount after he inspected it since he didn't know whether the mount his shipping person sent out had the welds. Well, here I sit, waiting for another mount. Hoping it's manufactured properly and gets here soon. I have back issues as I told Jeff, hence the reason I plow, because I can't shovel. We've already had 2 storms since the initial break, one being the single largest snowfall in 24 hours this year, with us hitting over 18 inches in that day. Now, we have a 3rd storm coming in and still no plow. Also, the wear bar has worn quite a bit and will need to be replaced before next season. One wear bar per season?? Kinda ridiculous. And you can't flip it like on a full size truck plow. Lastly, when I removed the quick mount and blade (push tubes), apparently they are designed poorly because they rub on the ground and will eventually fail due to the metal being scraped thin. The unit squats some with the plow on, but not that much. And I only weigh 160. What happens with a guy 225? They must really get damaged. And the warranty is a year? I'll be lucky if I make it through next season in one piece. Don't waste your money or the time it takes to install this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement