Hello from a former Ranger owner - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello from a former Ranger owner

Hi Teryx Forum,

I recently sold my 07 Ranger XP 700 EFI (daughter is getting married) and now I have a serious case of sellers remorse. So...I got mamma's ok and am researching a new side x side. I was a member of a ranger forum that was awesome and from the few threads I've looked at here so far it appears this Teryx forum will be very helpful as well. I don't own a Teryx yet but am leaning that way. I really liked the ranger however always wished I had a little more oomph, without spending hundreds of $ on performance mods. I ride with my wife and eight year old so the front bench seat in the Ranger worked out great for us. I'd probably be looking to buy the RZR if I didn't need the third seat capability. We make a few trips to the Imperial dunes in the winter and ride in the northern AZ mountains in the summer. I've read a few positive reviews on the Teryx so far however I'm skeptical of the reviews I've found from employees of magazines or web sites that receive advertizing $ from the manufacturer. I'm hoping to find some of the real dirt on the Teryx by reading through the threads on this forum. So far, I'd like to get some feedback on the following:

1. I'd like to hear from anyone who's ridden both the ranger xp and the teryx. How much of a difference in power, specifically dune climbing ability does the 750 have over the 700 EFI. Any other difference worth noting?

2. I have no experience with adjusting carburetor's whatsoever. Given the fact the teryx isn't fuel injected, how much of a concern should that be for me given my typicall riding conditions?

3. Anyone in AZ that could recommend a dealer and what I should expect to pay out the door? I'm in Phoenix but am willing to travel to Flagstaff, Prescott, Tucson if the price is right.

Sorry this was so long, just wanted to give some background on my riding profile.

Thanks in advance for any assistance the forum members can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Hello my friend, welcome to TeryxHQ! I will do my best to answer you questions, also, look in your PMs shortly
  1. I have only owned a Teryx, therefore, I could not give you an accurate comparison of the two.
  2. Do you play on doing motor mods and the like? I am not going to lie, I do not like messing with carbs, however, once you get it dialed it for Phoenix, it does not do too bad. Up North where we have a place (approx 6,000 ft) it runs a little rough, but not bad. Jetting is not something you want to have to do all the time, however, every once and a while will not kill you.
  3. Ahhh yes, the out the door price. You are going to find where people state what they purchased theirs out the door for. I will tell you that I purchased mine (the first one sold at that specific dealer) for $10,400. Did I pay more than others, I am sure I did, but what can you do. Rather than concentrate on price, I would take notice of your comfort level with the dealer.
No need to apologize for what you may think is a long post...everyone here is here to help, so if you need to type ten words or a hundred...it is all the same

Look forward to seeing you around often!

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:42 PM

Welcome from another Az guy. Seems like we ride in the same places small world huh. I have to say I have ridden and driven a few Rangers and the first thing you notice on the Teryx is the fact it feels like you sit in it not on it like the Rangers. It has plenty of power in stock form and with a cdi it is even better. My rides a lot smoother than any ranger I have been in. Don't get me wrong the ranger is a great machine but they are for two differant worlds in my opinion. The Ranger is a hunter or workhorse that is fun to drive. The teryx is more of a sports car.

Too much is neverenough
2003 duramax dually for towing
2004 Gearbox toyhauler 30fs
2006 limited yfz 450 mine
2003 Pred 500 wifes
1986 4trax 250R sons
1997 300ex daughter
2006 250ex daughter
2008 Teryx ours

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Thumbs up

Hi and welcome to the Teryx forums. I just bought a Teryx 2 weeks ago after many many hours of research. I am happy I bought the Teryx over the other brands, despite the Carburator. Also, if you buy yours in the local that you live in you shouldn't have to adjust it at all because it should be set already. You may also want to know that Kawasaki will be making the Teryx Fuel Injected in the near future, probably the 2009 or 2010 model years, so you may just want to wait a bit. Anyway, below is one of the websites I used during my research that gave a fantastic side by side comparision of the different UTV's out there, including the Ranger. I suggest you take a look. I am not affiliated with any brand of anything, so I'm not going to try to sell you anything... It is a lot of money to spend on a toy, so it is best to be sure!.
Also, the Teryx is far from perfect, so search around the threads a bit, it won't take long to find the "dirt". There is a thread somewhere on this site about changes that Teryx owners would like to see for future models, that may be a good place to start.
Anyway, once you make up your mind, please drop a line about what you decided to purchase!
One other thing, the Teryx has 2 bucket seats, not a bench, so if you want to take your wife and daughter along, you will need to convert the bed into 2 additional seats and extend the rollcage out.

UTV Guide - UTV Model Comparison

Last edited by Mikeomo; 06-19-2008 at 02:52 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies and feedback. The UTV Guide site was great, unfortunately it turned me on to the Arctic Cat announcement of the pending release this fall of the redesigned 2009 Prowler with the 950cc EFI engine. I think my best bet is going to be to take a patience pill and wait for everyone's '09's to be released. I'n the meantime I'll continue to lurk. Thanks again for the great site.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to mouser58
Better go on the ArcticChat website first. The Prowlers are blowing Diffs and seals. A couple guys blew front diffs while driving down the road and caused near crashes. These are happening with the 700s. I would expect even worse results with 951 cc. Also, at 61" wide, they would be hard to get around on most of the trails here on the east coast.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 AM

Considerations

I was also looking at the Artic Cat at first. However, I had heard of some duribality issues with it. I have also read that it is much less stable due to a higher center of gravity. One thing that I want to buy in the (somewhat distant) future is a kit for the Teryx that increases the engine to 840cc. I have read on this forum it goes for about $1,500. The price on the artic cat was also a bit of a turnoff for me, since I could buy a Teryx and have the kit installed for less than the price of the Prowler. If you are looking for speed and the stability to go with it, and are willing to give up some ground clearance and a "L" gearing, I would suggest that you look closer at the RZR. The RZR is very stable, and since it is so lightweight it is very fast. I nearly bought the RZR instead because it would have fit into the bed of my Ford Ranger and eliminated the need for a trailer.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM

welcome

Howdy from So Cal!

Do the research make your decision and you'll be happy with your choice! The Teryx!

Post back when you decide!

Try the boys at Northland in Flag. The are great guys!

Amateurs practice to do it right, Professionals practice until its Perfect!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement