teryx crank information - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

teryx crank information

hey guys i have a 09 teryx 750 monster energy edition........ so bought it used from the dealership had to purchase extended warranty through kawi... few months ago the crank went.... the warranty claim guy came and looked at it at the dealership and said they will not cover it under warranty due to air filter issues... meaning it was dirty........ any suggestions on what to do or say? but really you can take your filter off and drive the thing... it wont hurt the crank at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You need a clean filter to protect your motor / investment.
I wouldn't run mine without a filter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopro1 View Post
hey guys i have a 09 teryx 750 monster energy edition........ so bought it used from the dealership had to purchase extended warranty through kawi... few months ago the crank went.... the warranty claim guy came and looked at it at the dealership and said they will not cover it under warranty due to air filter issues... meaning it was dirty........ any suggestions on what to do or say? but really you can take your filter off and drive the thing... it wont hurt the crank at all
That is the general response from Kawi, it is normally taken out by low oil due to leaking seals or pushing oil into the intake.

But as far as filter goes we make a billet filter adapter and clamp on foam filter that will fix that issue.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Its ashame.. I've rebuilt a few of these with less than 200 Hrs. on their clocks. One did have the infamous Kawafailed air cleaner separation and sucked dirt and mud. one of the others had a clogged fuel line shutting off fuel to the rear carb (not Kawas fault) but the one working cylider beat the rod bearing to death trying to do all the work, apparently the owner didnt realize he was running one one cylider, who knows? Needless to say after reviewing this forum and the lack of Kawa support and back up of their warranties I'd be hard pressed to ever spent 10K + on a teryx if I was ever in the market for a Jitney Cart. I've raced Professional Motocross from 1979 to 2003 and the only two bikes (sponsorships) I would ever consider was Kawasaki and Honda but now thanks to the 4 stroke overthrow I dont lose too much sleep giving up the sport. The Teryx is by all means a really nice machine compared to the more expensive Polaris but they really need to get their $h1t together with the motor. If I was to build one for myself I'd design a custom roller only press and tru roller bearing crank. Kawasaki putting conventional engine bearrings in the engine at all let alone at .00015 clearance tollerance is ridiculous in a machine that is designed to run in the dirt. My personal opinion as a professional engine builder from lawn boys to $100K V-8 alky's I feel this engine was designed to fail... PERIOD !
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
but really you can take your filter off and drive the thing... it wont hurt the crank at all

This is not entirely true. Compared to a 2 stroke motor I somewhat agree as the intake air/fuel is not plumbed directly into the crank case like a 2 cycle however dirt (micro grit) will get past the rings even in a 4 stroke. You have ring end gap and oil wash that will most certainly bring foreign debis into the oiling system, hence aggravated parts wear. The incoming foreign debris will cause cylinder wear piston scoring etc. and all of that wear is directly proportional to micro debris in the oil which will act like fluid sand paper especially on the tri metal rod bearings. This outome is far more exagerrated on a 2 cycle engine even wiping roller bearings quite fast. This Is one reason I am a big fan of the modern 2 stroke design.. roller bearings, transmission oil is sealed seperately from the crank case. If the trans fails it doesnt take out the rod journals, if the rotating assembly fails it doesnt take out the tranny. With the modern 4 stroke any component failure can cause any other componet to fail in turn. Hence DESIGNED TO FAIL !
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDMAN View Post
Its ashame.. I've rebuilt a few of these with less than 200 Hrs. on their clocks. One did have the infamous Kawafailed air cleaner separation and sucked dirt and mud. one of the others had a clogged fuel line shutting off fuel to the rear carb (not Kawas fault) but the one working cylider beat the rod bearing to death trying to do all the work, apparently the owner didnt realize he was running one one cylider, who knows? Needless to say after reviewing this forum and the lack of Kawa support and back up of their warranties I'd be hard pressed to ever spent 10K + on a teryx if I was ever in the market for a Jitney Cart. I've raced Professional Motocross from 1979 to 2003 and the only two bikes (sponsorships) I would ever consider was Kawasaki and Honda but now thanks to the 4 stroke overthrow I dont lose too much sleep giving up the sport. The Teryx is by all means a really nice machine compared to the more expensive Polaris but they really need to get their $h1t together with the motor. If I was to build one for myself I'd design a custom roller only press and tru roller bearing crank. Kawasaki putting conventional engine bearrings in the engine at all let alone at .00015 clearance tollerance is ridiculous in a machine that is designed to run in the dirt. My personal opinion as a professional engine builder from lawn boys to $100K V-8 alky's I feel this engine was designed to fail... PERIOD !

Most all v-twins run the same setup... Hell the arctic cat 1000 is the only one that I can think is different. This engines been around since 02... and don't get me wrong I've rebuilt quite a few but they didn't just fail for no reason.... Most all the rebuilds are usually from being sank.

and dropping a cylinder wouldn't cause the rod bearing to fail... you had something else going on.

9 times out of 10 when rod bearings fail on these engines without being sank its due to low oil and that is usually from the seals leaking... So blame kawasakis shitty seals and make sure you check your oil every time before you ride.

Last edited by Shan; 07-28-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement