Teryx HQ banner

Teryx on a deck and pulling a trailer

23K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  crow 
#1 ·
Anyone put thier Teryx on a raised deck in the back of a short box truck and pull a holiday trailer?
If so, what length of deck are you using?
Can you turn sharp corners and not have the trailer hit the overhang?
Any pictures of it loaded up?

#3 ·
Sorry I can't help you but I do haul mine in the bed of my dually and the tailgate wont shut all the way. I have never had any problems with it even coming close. I htink if you are above your propane tanks you should be fine. Also if you are building the deck have it so the front is elevated a llittle which might give you a little more roon.

#4 ·
Ok I knew I had seen something like this so I had to do a little searching but maybe this can give you an idea.

Attachments

#5 ·
I seen a private built one like that on Jon's UTV Guide site. I didn't like that it looked like it sat on the side walls but I did like that it came apart on pins. It is a possibility to do something like this.
Just looking for options as I can't afford to do what I want to the Teryx and buy a Toy Hauler too. Something has to give.

#9 ·
Just read an article on that subject somewhere . Don't know what your truck is rated , but with the macine and trailer tongue wieght , you may want to consider airbags on your rear springs to help level the load and control body roll with the center of gravity so high. I use them on my SUV to help tongue wieght and they really help with vehicle control .

#13 ·
Just do what I did DougS, go buy a 5th wheel and pull a sled/quad trailer. I brought mine home last week up on the sled deck, it was very high up to the top of the cage and I can hook to my pull trailer but can't turn at all so took the deck off and picked a used 5th wheel and sled trailer, now I hope they don't change the 2 trailer law. What part AB you in?

#14 ·
Acreage outside of Edmonton. I thought of it but you can't go outside of Alberta if you B Train. Also thinking Class C and a trailer. Class A is nicer but no top bunk in front. I just have to find more $$$. As I keep spending it on my Teryx. :laugh:

#16 ·
Thanks for the tips.
"Sled decks" are common here. The issue is a 10' long side by side is that it overhangs 3.5 feet past the short box truck. Add a little more for the deck and even with the slides pulled in, with sharp corners you can take out a corner of the holiday trailer. Then the wife gets mad at me.........

Thinking I have to B train it (which isn't allowed every where) or motor home and pull behind trailer. I was hoping to use my older travel trailer and newer truck for camping as they are paid for. The motor home and trailer is a better set up, but is more $$$.

#17 ·
DougS,
I am pretty sure you can go into Sask. with the B-train set up, definately not BC. How about buying a long box truck? ...but I know you said your truck is new. Mine fits good in a long box, the rear tires normally sit in space between the tailgate and box floor, you could probably take the tailgate off and put something on the bumper to bring the rear tires up so it is not sitting like it wants to fall out of the box. Not much help but maybe a good excuse for explaining to the wife why you need a new truck!!! :D

#18 ·
I want the option of BC and the USA as the riding is good there too and my parents are snow birds and head south now. Long box would be better, but its hard enough finding parking with the 4 door short box in the City.

Leaning toward a class c and a trailer. Just have to make some more money to pay for it and my Teryx Money pit. (easier said then done. :laugh:) I am going to check sled decks and a trailer this weekend. I heard you can take out the corner of the RV trailer with the deck even with the sides slid in.

#19 ·
Hey Doug,
Did you get anything off of SDR with free shipping to Edmonton? Just being nosey if you did!

#21 ·
Look what I tried yesterday. Motor vehicle Vehicle Transport Car Tire

Then I hooked to my toy hauler and attempted to turn. Would work without propane bottles. I think a sled deck or a deck the same height as the top of the box would be tall & tippy. Whats your guys thoughts?? Crow (Sorry about the photo,it from my phone.)

#23 ·
A buddy of mine tried a sled deck on a short box truck a couple weeks ago. When he turned, it did hit his scamper but cleared his propane bottles. It was too wide.I tried narrower,if I went up as high as a sled deck it looks like it might work. Need longer than 7' ramps as mine were quite steep as they were. Crow

#25 ·
He said the sides were in as he only had 1 quad on it. As he backed out on to the street the deck just touched the front of the trailer. The truck is a chev 3/4 ton with a 4 door cab with a short box, I think about a 6' box if that makes any difference. Crow

#26 ·
seems like a lot of work to avoid a toy box, mine wasn't expensive, it doesn't have a bed room just a drop down queen bed and two bench/ beds with a kitchen and bath and it will fit a prairie 700 and my teryx with room to spare and also gives me a nice place to store the toys when I am not using them.

#27 ·
I am fairly certain he has it all figured out by now, this thread is from 3.5 years ago. But yes toy hauler is the best way to go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.