Teryx HQ banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 08 Teryx when suddenly the engine sounded like it had a cracked muffler. it got louder as engine was rev'ed up then suddenly shut off. it did not start again. Oil dipstick dry, no water or oil in filter box, no damage to muffler pipe or oil leaking. what i plan on doing is draining the oil and check for metal compounds to see if there is internal engine damage. Is there anything else you guys might suggest? thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
blown head gasket possibly? they can sound like a loud exhaust leak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering Bret901.

I drained the oil today and it seems that there is internal damaged by the look of the oil. Oil looks like light metallic nail polish. I'm not sure if i want to take it to the dealer or tackle the job myself. Has anyone rebuild a Teryx engine? if so, about how much money did it cost?

thanks all.

·
383 Posts
Haven't rebuilt an engine but I bought a shop manual for $140.00 CAD and it would save you a bunch of shop time (my shop is $100.00/hr CAD) and gives you all the info required, if you have the tools. Just a thought.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey, I am doing a top end build 840 kit & had a timing chain issue. Had to remove engine & tear into it. It really is a monumental job. Requires some special tools. I went to auto/diesel school & use to build diesel engines & had my buddy with me that still mechanics for a living & it almost was overwhelming doing it in his garage. Unless you are confident in your abilities there is know way I would tackle that job. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks so much for your quick replies. That is what my buddies are preaching as well. well i guess its off to the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys. well i put some new oil, replaced the oil filter and started her up. She starts on a dime. Different sound now. The engine has a good idle to it. Now the only thing that i can compare the sound to is a metallic sound like a zipper in a dryer tumbling. I'm still going to take it to the dealer. Hopefully by the weekend. My hope was that the belt snapped or something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys finally had my buddy take the engine apart and found a broken crank. Pistons look good. Any recommendations as to were to get a good price on complete crankshaft and gasket kit? thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts