Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teryx just does not want to start when it's cold. Once warmed up it'll start all day long, but when it cools off overnight it just does not want to start. Runs fine when it runs, has spark and fuel. Any idea's? Never worked with these types of carbs before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dyna, muzzy, airbox mods to breath a bit better. Plug reading says jetting is good. Plugged stock ign back in, same result as dynatec. Engine has less than 20 hours since new, compressions test within specs.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
try the dyna coils, my 08 starts real quick, I ownly ride on the weekends and it sits all week. I turn the key and it fires right up and then i pull the choke and i don't have to touch the gas pedal at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hunter is right Kawis love a good strong battery. What air box mode did you do? you may have lost vacuum to operate the carbs properly. Also maybe tight valves. Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you may have lost vacuum to operate the carbs properly. Also maybe tight valves. Good Luck.
Interesting, I have 6 one inch holes with Uni plug in filters and a Uni filter. It started fine after this mod though for a couple rides.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd say valves too, but all those holes dont help matters either. Try taping the holes and see what happens first before you get into a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
604 Posts
the holes have nothing to do with the engine starting.only when applying gas under a load will the airbox lid matter.get the valves adjusted and that should fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Teryx just does not want to start when it's cold. Once warmed up it'll start all day long, but when it cools off overnight it just does not want to start. Runs fine when it runs, has spark and fuel. Any idea's? Never worked with these types of carbs before.
It is the valves no doubt mine was the same way I think they need to be adjusted prior to the recommendation. My has always been hard to start when cold and just got worse. After adjustment mine will start instantly in 20 degrees no choke at all a huge difference. It is a pain in the ass but worth the time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
how many miles or hours does the teryx have on it? I adjusted the valves on mine at about 100 hrs. It wouldn't hurt to check them dont take long. Also have you checked the air plentum boots to see if it has dislodge from carbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have you checked that your choke is working properly?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Timdco is on to something obvious and highly probable. Properly adjusted valves is a bit of a stretch on such a low hour machine. And I would question carbs set up that start cold with no choke. Just my two cents

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is no rhyme or reason to when the valves need adjusting on a Kawi V twin. Some go a long time before they need one and some not long at all (mine started at 40 hours). The symptoms described sure sound like valves and all I was trying to to do was take another variable out of the equation when I said to tape up the holes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Adjust the valves. Once they start you will notice hard starting and they will be tight again. I waited a lil to long and now am adjusting valves about every 20 hrs.. Will have valve work done when I do the big bore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no rhyme or reason to when the valves need adjusting on a Kawi V twin. Some go a long time before they need one and some not long at all (mine started at 40 hours). The symptoms described sure sound like valves and all I was trying to to do was take another variable out of the equation when I said to tape up the holes
Exactly my rear head at 100 hrs exhaust and intake were way tight. The front intake was slightly tight and the exhaust was spot on.So no real way to say why. I would just just say adjust as soon as you have a hard starting issue. :wave:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts