Teryx HQ banner

09 starting issues

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Hunterworks 
#1 ·
guy i have an 09 efi teryx. a while back it started having starting issues so i took it to the dealer and they said the valves were in terrible need of adjustment. 300 miles later it is beginning to have the same problem. doesnt want to start on a cold motor unless you give it some throttle and keep the throttle down for about a minute before it begins to run correctly. what could be the cause? valves again? also, its eatin oil like crazy but i have yet to see any smoking or anything. im just lost and disgusted with the machine right now. any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Have you done any mods, (ie. MSD increases the revs and pukes oil into the plume)? If your burning oil, you've probably fouled you plugs.

#4 ·
Remeber sometimes these dealers employees dont really know much more about these things than a general mechanically inclineded person.( Hope i spelled that all right) Make sure your going to a good dealer who has some one that really knows your machine. Ive been to some dealers to talk to them about different things and they just looked at me like they didnt even know what i was talking about. Hell one of them hadnt ever even heard of a dalton clutch kit. So i bought the kit and watched todds video an installed it my self. Bigdaddy on here is from louisiana maybe he will chime in???

#6 ·
Agreed on not trusting everything dealer mechanic says, I have bought numerous arcs from every dealer in a hundred mile radius and never found service a service tech that I could trust with my machine, except for my Harley mechanic, he really knows his stuff, unfortunately he wont do side work or that's who I'd have do my 840, I would reccomend finding a private mechanic local to u like HW if u want someone working on ur machine that knows what their doin, anyways sounds like ur valves need adjusted or replaced to me, u can adjust valves yourself if u do some research, pretty easy

#7 ·
well the only problem is that im off working at the moment and use my rig every day to get up and down the line. Being in Utah doesnt help me any cause i have no one that can recommend a good service dealer. the 2nd dealer i took it to last week came out and was like hmm yea something isnt right but i have no clue what it is, but you can drop it off and we'll try to get a look at it. these guys are jokes, they should go back to McD's and serve big mac's again.

my list of problems so far:
using 1qt oil every 2 wks
hard start on a cold motor/rough idle
4wd engages when it wants, not when i press the button.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.