Teryx HQ banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting new wheels when I need to get new rubber (very soon) and was wondering if there is any advantage to the 14" rims.:confused: They are of course more pricey and tire selection seems a bit more limited. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I went 12's for more floatation ( I need every bit of help I can get).
The issue with 12's is the odd guy gets a rock wedged in there that groves the rim and the 14s clear.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just depends on your prefrence, for the type of riding I do I like the 14s, I ride alot of hard surface high speed and they give you much more stability and cornering and less sidewall flex, I have been considering 15s, I think you will see alot more 14s OE in the future with the wieght of these machines and the hp they are putting out and you will see the tire selection in 14s rise greatly

·
383 Posts
I went 12's for more floatation ( I need every bit of help I can get).
The issue with 12's is the odd guy gets a rock wedged in there that groves the rim and the 14s clear.
True dat. A guy I was riding with at the Robb Rally has a RZR-XP with 12" rims jammed a rock between the brake caliper and rim and punched a hole the size of a quarter through the rim. It happend before the first check point, four more to go. He had to park it, ride shotgun in someone elses machine and come back for it at the end of the day. There is no field fix for a broken rim.
I have 14's on both my machines, they handle better and look badass. Doug, as far as flotaion goes just get bigger tires.:D

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
True dat. ......
I have 14's on both my machines, they handle better and look badass. Doug, as far as flotaion goes just get bigger tires.:D
I run bigger tires than you all ready with 12's. These things are heavy vs a quad.
I'm going with the more hp and float across the top theory. :laugh:
Maybe I should install nos for the skeg. :D

Like the brute in this video.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input! I should have specified the type of riding I do. 95% would be hard pack with a little mud once in a while. For those running the 14", do you guys have 6" in front and 8" rear? Also wondering what I can run up front without clearance issues, as far as tire width goes and offset. Appreciate opinions!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Not sure if Giddy is talking about tires or wheels with the 11 and 9 but I am runing 8" wheels on front and rear, some guys run 8 on rear and 6 on front, as for as tires I have run 11 rear 9 front but now I am running 10 on rear and 8 on front but 8" wide wheels all the way around with no issues

·
Registered
255 Posts
If u dont have many rocks the 14's maybe ok, but in my area (PA) with rocks i hated my 14's, always getting pinch flats even with 8 ply tires. I have ALOT fewer problems with my 12" tire/wheel combo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure if Giddy is talking about tires or wheels with the 11 and 9 but I am runing 8" wheels on front and rear, some guys run 8 on rear and 6 on front, as for as tires I have run 11 rear 9 front but now I am running 10 on rear and 8 on front but 8" wide wheels all the way around with no issues
14" wheels all away around. 11's (Tires) in the rear and 9's (Tires) in the front.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
14" wheels all away around. 11's (Tires) in the rear and 9's (Tires) in the front.
Hey Giddy I think the main thing he was concerned about the width of the 14" wheels, most venders sell 14x8 for the rear and 14x6 on the front but like I said earlier I am running 14x8 on front and rear with no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts