Teryx HQ banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 all stock Teryx that recently just seemed to have lost a lot of power. It sounded like it was only running on one cylinder so I started checking for spark. While it was idling I pulled the back spark plug wire off and the engine died immediately. Started it back up and did the same thing with the front plug wire and it kept running. I switched the spark plug/coil wire from the front to the back and I got the same results so it appears I'm only getting spark to the back plug. Does anyone know what the voltage should be to the spark plug/coil wire? I noticed what I assume is the coil has a positive and negative sign. Also I was looking at a parts list from Kawasakipartsnation.com and it looks like there is a part called an igniter, part # 21119-0092 and was wondering is this what feeds the power to the coils? and if so could that be the problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just in case anyone has the same problem I had. I went to a Kawasaki dealer and they had a service manual that said the voltage to the coil is only about half a volt which mine did measure out to be. Also, I didn't realize what Kawasaki calls an igniter is the CDI. Anyway the mechanic said not to rule out that the spark plug could be partly fouled which they both were black when I removed them. Even though I took the original spark plugs and switched them, it seemed to run the same and it end up being a fouled plug. I replaced the plugs and it ran great.

·
383 Posts
I was going to say that you needed to try some new plugs, then I read your second post and see that you figured it out already. It's best to start with the simple things first before you get way to involved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just in case anyone has the same problem I had. I went to a Kawasaki dealer and they had a service manual that said the voltage to the coil is only about half a volt which mine did measure out to be. Also, I didn't realize what Kawasaki calls an igniter is the CDI. Anyway the mechanic said not to rule out that the spark plug could be partly fouled which they both were black when I removed them. Even though I took the original spark plugs and switched them, it seemed to run the same and it end up being a fouled plug. I replaced the plugs and it ran great.
Thanks for the information i will do as u said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts