Teryx HQ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not new to programmers or plug in boxes, but i am new to them when they are installed on an ATV. I have always had them on my diesel trucks.

My questions are...

When putting something like an MSD on your teryx, do you need to have the teryx modded in any other way?

Will adding the MSD increase the likelyhood of breaking the engine?

The power that is added, does it re-write the fuel mapping, or is all the power gained based on the eliminating the top end limiter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Charge FI modifies the stock fuel flow rate, and timing advance which is fully user adjustable via the "spreadsheet" style software it comes with. You can add or take away fuel based on throttle position and rpm. The timing is also added to the factory advance, it is based on map and rpm.
As far as modifications, you will most likely get oil pushed in the intake if you raise the rev limiter past 8600 or so. IMO the Msd a good choice for noticable power gains.
I also recall reading somewhere that the teryx timing is retarded 12 def until you reach 10 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info. So, is the MSD an adjustable type box? Or does it come pre-programmed with settings in it and then just plug and play?

The reason i ask if it is adjustable, for now I am going to leave most everything stock, and then as time goes on and learn more about my machine and get a plan on what I want it to be able to do, i will then start making mods, but for now it is just something me amd my wife can enjoy riding dirt roads.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The Charge FI modifies the stock fuel flow rate, and timing advance which is fully user adjustable via the "spreadsheet" style software it comes with. You can add or take away fuel based on throttle position and rpm. The timing is also added to the factory advance, it is based on map and rpm.
As far as modifications, you will most likely get oil pushed in the intake if you raise the rev limiter past 8600 or so. IMO the Msd a good choice for noticable power gains.
I also recall reading somewhere that the teryx timing is retarded 12 def until you reach 10 mph.

MSD did not address a timing retard and I can't find proof the EFI version of Teryx has a timing retard. Watching the timing advance function live on the MSD the timing advances as soon as you start revving the engine up.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I am not new to programmers or plug in boxes, but i am new to them when they are installed on an ATV. I have always had them on my diesel trucks.

My questions are...

When putting something like an MSD on your teryx, do you need to have the teryx modded in any other way?

Will adding the MSD increase the likelyhood of breaking the engine?

The power that is added, does it re-write the fuel mapping, or is all the power gained based on the eliminating the top end limiter?
No need in adding anything else when adding the MSD but don't expect alot by itself except to get by your rev and speed limiters. Very little gains can be had by playing with timing and fuel on a otherwise stock Teryx

Adding the MSD has no bearing on the reliability of the engine

Question three was answered in answer one.

For a real power gain, add the Muzzy pipe along with the MSD. We preprogram the MSD to match the pipe.

Todd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good info. So, is the MSD an adjustable type box? Or does it come pre-programmed with settings in it and then just plug and play?

The reason i ask if it is adjustable, for now I am going to leave most everything stock, and then as time goes on and learn more about my machine and get a plan on what I want it to be able to do, i will then start making mods, but for now it is just something me amd my wife can enjoy riding dirt roads.
The Msd comes pre- programmed, and is also adjustable. There is 10 setting on it. The first 3 come pre-programmed from Msd, the other 7 are fully customizable. Depending on where you choose to buy from, it might come with more tunes programmed. I would recommend you check out Hunterworks, he has done alot of testing and has good maps for stock exhaust, also a good price and very helpful.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

As it comes from MSD it is not actually pre-programmed it has ten programmable curves and several are locked out but companies like Hunterworks take a vehicle add mods and then make maps to match actual products.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Buy from a vendor that gives you the programmed msd.

·
383 Posts
Adding the MSD has no bearing on the reliability of the engine
Todd
If you don't know better and set the rev limiter to high it could definately have a drastic effect on the reliability of the engine. :93C_peelout[1]:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If you buy it from Todd at Hunterworks you won't be sorry, he will take care of you I got one of the very first ones he sold when nobody had any, put it on and went from 51 to 65 on top speed but not alot of power gain but you can add the Muzzy and it will give you a big boost low to mid range, as far as engine damage on a stock machine you can't hardly over rev it, especially in high range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you buy it from Todd at Hunterworks you won't be sorry, he will take care of you I got one of the very first ones he sold when nobody had any,.
I had already made my midn up that when i get one it will be from Hunterworks. I like to buy performance parts from vendors that are active and willing to help. Not someone that wants a quick sell, and then no where to be located or not willing to help you out if there are any issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts