Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a pic of one i had to do it to mine, chopped 4" out front and rear, had to cut and notch the upper rear brace as well. I used about 6" of pipe to sleeve each joint. Have since ground it all smooth and painted it with some aerosol truck bed liner paint matched almost perfect.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That is exactly what I've been wanting to do, would you mind taking some measurements on where you made your cuts and what size of pipe you used to sleeve it with? That really looks great. Did you have to rebend anything?, or did it match up after you cut it?
Any info you can give would be appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used 1 3/4" tubing inserts, after i made the cuts the cage didnt line back up just right the top was narrower than the bottom, it took a little prying to get it to line up. also i took the crossbars out and did one side at a time then bolted them back up before welding. the exact locations of where you cut shouldnt matter, i just took it out of the middle.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Beautiful job, could you take a pic from the side...just want to see how it looks from the side after done. I also want to do the same thing...but I did not know if it would line back up with the bolt holes very well. Nice work and thanks for posting the pics!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Was the 1 3/4 the outside diameter on the tubing? where did you get your tubing?.
Sorry, to ask so many questions, just trying to save a little time, I'm planning on doing this next weekend and would like to do it all in one day. Can you give me a rough estimate where you cut the front and back bars?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 3/4 OD tight fit but thats good right. had some scrap pieces.

·
Registered
780 Posts
dude that is awesome. i didnt realize you could do this and line it back up without spacing out the top of the cage. I have been waiting for someone to post up a good way to do it and keep the top the same. I really wanted to keep the ability to use a stock roof.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
dude that is awesome. i didnt realize you could do this and line it back up without spacing out the top of the cage. I have been waiting for someone to post up a good way to do it and keep the top the same. I really wanted to keep the ability to use a stock roof.
+1 NICE work!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
1 3/4 OD tight fit but thats good right. had some scrap pieces.

Thats the best looking cage I've seen. It actually makes the Teryx's proportions right. I always thought the cage looked way too high. Great job! I wish I could weld that good. I would sure try it if I could.

·
Registered
780 Posts
haha, my inlaws saw this last night and cut their cage today. I am waiting on pics of theirs and then I am getting next in line for a chop.

·
Registered
780 Posts
well we both got ours chopped and done now. I need to do a little finish work on mine, but its done.

as an FYI to anyone wondering...... stock cage is .070" wall.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Did you use 1 3/4 od tubing to sleeve it with? I hope so, cause I went to the local steel distributor and bought 6 ft of it, I think I have everything I need to do it and plan on doing it this weekend.
If you took any pictures or can give anymore advice, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Did you use 1 3/4 od tubing to sleeve it with? I hope so, cause I went to the local steel distributor and bought 6 ft of it, I think I have everything I need to do it and plan on doing it this weekend.
If you took any pictures or can give anymore advice, it would be appreciated.
You Have three feet too much, send me the other three feet, so I can do mine!

·
Registered
241 Posts
As soon as I get mine done, I have to do my buddy's, If it all goes well, I'd be happy to help you do yours. I'm working swing shift now and most of my days off are during the week, looks like we may get some snow tonight, so I'll probably hold off a couple days to start mine( gotta get out and play).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice proportions! Looks like this takes a little skill.

When I saw a Teryx for the first time my first impression was why is the cage so high? I have overgrown roads and a high cage hits everything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it possible to get 6" chopped out, and still have enough play to get everything to line back up? I was thinking of a making a four seater, but this would be a little better on the wallet. Thanks for sharing the pics.
warhammer

1 - 20 of 71 Posts