Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

as i've been reading some threads, i think i wll be needing some more electrical power to feed my system (3 hid lights, 2 hid bulbs replacing the oem, 4000 warn winch, probox stereo system with 4 speakers, horn, turn lights system).
what fo you guys recommend me? the utv crap 60 amps alternator system or the 500w stator from sidebyside.

i know too little about electrics and don't know what is better, but i see that the alternator might broke in deep waters, however i think it will produce more power than the 500w alternator.

anyway how is that the matematics work with the 500w stator?
is it like this?: 500w(alternator) minus 100 (teryx needing aprox) minus 105 (for 3 hid lights) minus 70 for the 2 hid replacement oem bulbs) it is equal to 225w still "available" for my stereo and everything else?

just wondering ow this works.

opinions will be very appreciated

sergio,
mazatlan mexico

·
Registered
266 Posts
In theory that is correct. The 500 watts is a particular RPM though.
Todd,
I am also wondering how this stator works. Does it only produce it's power after a certain RPM is reached? If so, what is the RPM level required? What does the stock stator produce?
My odessey battery gets drained down due to my HID's, so I am looking for something that will boost my recharging capabilities. Will the 500w stator work for this purpose?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Todd,
I am also wondering how this stator works. Does it only produce it's power after a certain RPM is reached? If so, what is the RPM level required? What does the stock stator produce?
My odessey battery gets drained down due to my HID's, so I am looking for something that will boost my recharging capabilities. Will the 500w stator work for this purpose?
We are running a pre-production 500 watt stator on our 08 Teryx. The stock stator produces power off idle while the RM stator begins producing power at just above 2000 rpm. We've been running 4 - 35 watt HID's, the headlights and a stereo all day long on the stock battery and have experienced zero issues. On the stock stator we ran the battery down after only a couple hours of trail riding with the HID's.

We should have pricing out this week on the 500w stator.

·
Registered
266 Posts
We are running a pre-production 500 watt stator on our 08 Teryx. The stock stator produces power off idle while the RM stator begins producing power at just above 2000 rpm. We've been running 4 - 35 watt HID's, the headlights and a stereo all day long on the stock battery and have experienced zero issues. On the stock stator we ran the battery down after only a couple hours of trail riding with the HID's.

We should have pricing out this week on the 500w stator.
As I mentioned earlier, I also run with 4 HID's and the HID replacement headlight's but no Stereo and I am looking for something to boost my recharging. Sounds like the 500w will do the trick. Please keep me posted when you know a price. I would like to add this on when I do my motor upgrade work next month.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok guys good news, I have been running the 500 watt stator from sidexside customs for more than a month now and it works awesome. I am running the stock battery with four 55 watt halogens, two led whips, stock headlights, led dome light, and a hand held spot light plugged into lighter receptacle and have not killed the battery to date. When i ran the 4 halogens without the stator i killed the battery in about 30-45 minutes. At idle the stator charges roughly 12.6-12.7 but at a 1/4 throttle or roughly 1800-2100 rpm's it charges steadily at about 14.6. Talk to Endi at sidexside customs, he set me up as a test car and should be close to release if he hasnt already.:wave:

·
Registered
106 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I also run with 4 HID's and the HID replacement headlight's but no Stereo and I am looking for something to boost my recharging. Sounds like the 500w will do the trick. Please keep me posted when you know a price. I would like to add this on when I do my motor upgrade work next month.
Thanks for the info.
$449 retail (mention forum member discount when ordering for best deal)

The kit comes with a replacement stator and a matching rectifier and includes a new pickup coil and a wire for the hour meter display.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Todd,
A stator is just the stationary part of the alternator. You take a coil of wire and some magnets (either one could be the stationary part). You move one of the pieces and the interruption in the magnetic field produces an electrical current. The faster you spin the moving part through the field (or higher rpm) the more current the device can produce.

I believe the stock system is 14.1V @ 24 amps or ~340 Watts (max)

·
Registered
258 Posts
For the price, I think I would go with the alternator.
It's the same thing, the difference is installing an upgraded system in the factory location or adding an external alternator and having another belt, backet and pulleys. All the pricing I've seen is in the $450 - $500...but a 60 amp alternator (if it keeps the factory spec of 14.1V max output) would be ~850 Watts.

·
Registered
516 Posts
For my application - MUD, I would probably go with the stator so it is internal and clean. The alternator would probably work but more pieces to break and go wrong for me, although the extra power would be nice!

·
Registered
266 Posts
$449 retail (mention forum member discount when ordering for best deal)

The kit comes with a replacement stator and a matching rectifier and includes a new pickup coil and a wire for the hour meter display.

I don't want to come across in a bad way, but I do want to be an educated consumer. So, I would like to know what is the difference between the kit your offering for $449.00 and the one offered by sidexside sports for $159.00. This is a big difference in money so can you help me understand what is the difference? Thanks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't want to come across in a bad way, but I do want to be an educated consumer. So, I would like to know what is the difference between the kit your offering for $449.00 and the one offered by sidexside sports for $159.00. This is a big difference in money so can you help me understand what is the difference? Thanks.

The differance is that it is a drop in replacement and that stator is from RM Stator, that is who we teamed up with to bring you the 500 watt stator kit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't come across in a bad way at all. Sidexside sports is offering a stock replacement stator which we offer as well. Difference is this is a 500 Watt upgrade with a rectifier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and installing this 500w stator would give any sort of problem to the normal function of the engine? maybe a highwattage that could damage some electronic/electric part?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts