Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new member but long time viewer. This forum has alot of great info and alot of good people on here that help in furthering this sport. First off in the next 3 weeks I will be tearing down and installing a FST840 kit with stage III cams along with a Vjohns clutch kit. Thanks Mickey :wave: But , for all of you wondering, I will be posting my results. Timed runs before v/s 840. Feet and seconds. Plus seat of the pants feel :p I know there are people out there that want real #'s not just "this thing is awesome!" My friend is doing an 09 840 with Dasa throttle bodies & it will be interesting how they will compare when completed. I also ride with a modified RZR who will get me by a 1/2 length.( By the way he is selling his to buy a teryx because his keeps breaking) :laugh: So it is really going to be hard on him when I am finished.I am sure I will run into something during the build that I will need some qaulity been there done that info on. But honestly Mickey has been great so far and I am sure he will continue to be.I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi, I am a new member but long time viewer. This forum has alot of great info and alot of good people on here that help in furthering this sport. First off in the next 3 weeks I will be tearing down and installing a FST840 kit with stage III cams along with a Vjohns clutch kit. Thanks Mickey :wave: But , for all of you wondering, I will be posting my results. Timed runs before v/s 840. Feet and seconds. Plus seat of the pants feel :p I know there are people out there that want real #'s not just "this thing is awesome!" My friend is doing an 09 840 with Dasa throttle bodies & it will be interesting how they will compare when completed. I also ride with a modified RZR who will get me by a 1/2 length.( By the way he is selling his to buy a teryx because his keeps breaking) :laugh: So it is really going to be hard on him when I am finished.I am sure I will run into something during the build that I will need some qaulity been there done that info on. But honestly Mickey has been great so far and I am sure he will continue to be.I will keep you posted!
Good luck on your build. These are my favorite type of threads.

·
Registered
604 Posts
get it dynoed or buy a air fuel gauge and get it jetted right from the start..no one can tune or jet your buggy over the phone ot net.thats my experiance anyways.i had to buy the lm1 to tune mine and im still working on it.08 with 840.

·
Registered
282 Posts
cant wait to follow your thread...i have the same car, and want to do the exact same upgrades you are doing...good luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey KYWILDCATS74..... I have a freind that just bought a ranger xp and another freind that bought a razor. What all are you seeing that is breaking on the polairs machines. I kinda wanted a razor-r but ended up getting a rex and after seeing so many people posting that those machines always breaking , I was curious as to what is breaking and what conditions are they riding in to make so many of them break so much.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Yea it's been the week of the newbies this week with 5 840 kits and 1 std. bore. I did run out of cams yesterday but more will be here by the time you guys get your stuff off and sent up.

I keep forgetting to ask you guys your names on here,but I know you are member because you ask for you discount but if you get a chance PM me so I can put the two names together.Thanks for the business!:wave:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah CODYO it goes like this. We ride something breaks. Not just his either. Go to the RZR forums and about 50% of the people bad mouth there bikes. You dont see that much here. Just off the top of my head... every axle, drive hub , belt , rack & pinion , front diff ... And alot of them more than once.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, got it tore down to the frame pretty much. Still drivable> took it down the road like that and WOW! I figured it probably weighs what a RZR weighs as it is now and it hauls...If the big bore ends up faster than that with everything on it I wont know what to do ;) But anyway before I tore it down I took some drag times 500 feet & 200 feet with two grown men riding in it. One was working the stop watch while I concentrated on the driving ;) The 500 foot on grass was 11.15 seconds several runs and all the same.( very controled test).The 200 ft run came in at 6.06 seconds keep in mind this with two 200lb adults in it & before big bore . This is my base run. I will duplicate this run EXACTLY the same when build is complete and jetted properly..I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My FST/Dasa 840 kicks major azz....your gonna love it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello, got my 08 & merlins 09 next to each other in the garage. Pretty interesting the differences from the 08 to the 09. We were looking at each bike stripped just to the frame & engine next to each other and there were some interesting differences between the two. First off the 09 had allot beefier tubing....well let me put it this way. The 08 had small on top of smaller welded multiple times& the 09 just went with bigger tubing and gussets. We couldnt figure out if they were trying to beef it up more or save on production cost ( extra labor on welding piece on piece v/s going with bigger tubing) anyways we can definately see the added weight in the 09.Probably around 2 to 3 hundred pounds. Not sure if it was totally needed since I havent heard alot about frame problems in the 08.I believe it could be just cheaper to assemble with heavier tubing could be wrong though. Also I noticed my muzzys had factory bungs in both header pipes v/s merlins in the Y . As you can see in the other thread I started "bungs in my muzzy" I have some questions. Since most air/fuel ratio gauges say 16 inches from head & the factory ones are about 9 inches will they work for jetting:confused:But if they will it will save both of us a little trouble. We can use my headers to tune both bikes :D That would be great. But I am not sure yet on that issue. We will be removing jugs and cams tommorow to be shipped for cores. Will keep you posted.:wave:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, yesterday got it all tore down and ready to ship out cores. Ran into some minor set backs during dissasembly:mad::banghead:. But once that all was taken care of we were back on track. I guess you could say I am half way there :eek:hnoes: but let me tell you it has been alot more work then I imagined ( doing two back to back ).Imagine a garage with two Teryx's stripped down to the frame & wheels one with the engine completely out and parts every where :eek: I am really starting to look forward to the end result. :93C_peelout[1]: So I am going to be the glass half full guy:good:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow, this build has kicked my arse.. It would have been easy if not for the timing issue I THOUGHT I had.. But after lots of work it was figured out that there is actually a FRONT & REAR cam. Which the service manual did not say anything about this and it liked to drove me nuts before it was figured out:doh: With that said the build was finaly finished and jetted with an air/fuel gauge. And on the jetting subject go with an air fuel gauge for sure no bike is alike.. Whitey's 840 with the same mods as mine and same altitude was like stock needles no shims two turns out and 205 in front 210 in the rear.. Well mine was stock needles with two shims under each needle,3 turns out on the idle screw,stock pilot jets #38, 225 front and 205 rear .. From idle to wide open I am staying between 12.5 - 13.1. Well now to the good part :laugh: I finished tuning and pulled out on the street without bed on or roll cage and hammered down.. Donuts and rear end getting loose during mid range lauches and then comes the blue lights:eek: I did talk myself out of impound or a ticket but it was pretty crazy. The bike felt amazing :yahoo: It pulled like I couldnt imagine and could break traction at will.. The bike has a killer sound too alot different then before and you can hear the distinct sound that the cams made. I will post the times from my 200 ft & 500 ft runs v/s before build as soon as the rain breaks and I get the rest of my bodywork on:wave:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put everything back on my bike and I guess you can say my build is complete officially now:00000004[1]: The rain broke for about an hour so I took the wife out for a spin in the neighborhood. She was blown away, said the acceleration took her breath and felt like the first drop on a roler coaster:biggrin: I did not get to do the timed run since I didnt have the same condition but I will post it as soon as I can. However I did run a strip of road in my subdivision that before I could only get to 48mph now on the same strip I HIT 64MPH and had to let off AND IT WAS STILL PULLING HARD.. I am so impressed. It really feels like a sport atv now and it feels like it has doubled my power. My bike was fast before. Would outrun a stock RZR but now it is stupid FAST. All I can say is the seat of the pants feel is off the charts cant wait to hit the trails. Next post will have real numbers to compare a modified teryx with pipe, jetting, cdi and clutch kit V/S adding an FST840 with stage III cams to the same bike :wave:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Youre in Muskogee right? Ever hear of Kamo Electric Cooperative? I work for them. Spent a few days there this winter waiting for the big ice storm to hit that never did. Then I went to altus for two weeks to work that storm.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Youre in Muskogee right? Ever hear of Kamo Electric Cooperative? I work for them. Spent a few days there this winter waiting for the big ice storm to hit that never did. Then I went to altus for two weeks to work that storm.
Nah , I am here in Louisville KY. Born and raised in central Kentucky.Never been to Muskogee.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts