Teryx HQ banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the point I feel I should probably check this.

Is this something I can do without special tools? Manual says you need two different special tools. The one to do that actual adjustment, I think can be done with a screwdriver, wrench, and an extra set of hands. But the tool in the manuall that looks like it has four different blades on it….don’t understand what that is all about. Manual implies it’s used to remove the timing inspection plug?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well....it's been quite awhile since I adjusted valves, in fact it was on a 70s something Yamaha 650, so I'll give it a try.

Biggest issue I have with working on the Teryx, unlike a motorcycle, or four wheeler, you have to lean into the Teryx to get to the motor, and it really makes it hard on my back. That is one big thing I don't like about a UTV.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking a closer look at adjusting valves….I hate all this plastic in the way. And oh my aching back, reaching in.

The timing inspection plug. I’ve put a very large tip screwdriver on that plug, and pressured to the point, I feel something is going to break. Isn’t this just a simple screw in plug? Is there anything special about this 4 way bladed tool for taking that plug out? Why is there a special tool for this, if it’s no more than a plug? Feel I need to ask, before I proceed to destroy something that I’m not taking apart right. (Which I have done before.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Big bladed screwdriver is all Ive ever used. A little persuading is usually needed the first time you bust them loose but it will loosen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ok, on timing plug just tap on the top of it with a hammer a few times and you eill almost be able to screw it off by hand. the flat bladed tool is just a fuller gauge .004-.006 intake .006-.008 exhaust i think this is the correct adjustments.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Only if you have a SB or a BBK are those the settings.

Stock machine should be:
Exhaust 0.20 ∼ 0.25 mm
Inlet 0.10 ∼ 0.15 mm
Aren't those the same measurements except in inches?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put more muscle into it...got it. BUT..seems I'm spending more time getting all the plumbing out of the way to even GET to the valves on the front cylinder. This job is turning into more work doing that than what the actual adjustment will be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts