Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonder how many people on here think after market part are way over priced. For example, around 800.00 for an after market exhaust, or 1200.00 to 1600.00 for long travel. The price of some of these part, and the ones I mentioned are not the only ones, are way over priced.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just wonder how many people on here think after market part are way over priced. For example, around 800.00 for an after market exhaust, or 1200.00 to 1600.00 for long travel. The price of some of these part, and the ones I mentioned are not the only ones, are way over priced.
Who has longtravel kits for 12 to 1600?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You find a cheaper and better way and sell your stuff for less. My guess is it wont happen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
this argument will never end.. deviant are you the same guy who made his own LT on teryxforums? that thread opened my eyes to the time and cost of building a suspension.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try the Truck aftermarket accessories... No difference.
This is not a pick up truck. Exhaust what maybe 6 feet of pipe pickup truck duel exhaust around 20 feet and 3 to 4 in size? I worked with Hmf on first the first treyx exhaust and they dont have anywhere near 800 in it. The problem is to many people in the money pot. The guy selling the exhaust pipe for 1... 2nd the company making it... 3rd shipping company...4ht the company you purchased from....5th the shipping company again. Everybody in this is making money along the way.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Don't forget we are talking about all stainless pipe and polished aluminum mufflers not what is the norm for auto, we do exhaust work in my tire store. Order a set of stainless mufflers and all stainless pipe for say a Mustang and let me know what it cost. Search the web and see what is the cheapest full dual exhaust, mufflers, hangers and the works for a kawasaki 750-v twin of any brand, I don't see any brand for much less than 7 or 8 hundred bucks.
If they were so cheap to make there would be some low ball sellers on the net but maybe I am wrong but I just have not seen that. I myself think the Muzzys are one of the better buys out there if you look at what I call some of the cheaper stuff out there at the prices that they are asking. In this day and time the net will give you a pretty good idea of what is the very lowest price an item can be sold for and still make any kind of money. But don't get me wrong fellows there are some items that people make a large profit on but with the internet now its hard to hide the cost because somebody will low ball it sooner are later if there is that much money left on the table.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep. Price on many of the aftermarket and OEM parts and accessories are marked way up. It's what the market will bare.
Unfortunately for us that live in areas of the country with a lower cost of living can't afford the price that the market in other areas can bare. $500 to me in central Va. is a lot and nothing to the people that live just 2 hours north of me in northern Va. and the DC area. Not to mention the expensive Ca. areas where a 3 bedroom shack will cost you almost a million bucks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This has been brought up before, a member questioned why a cheaper version of a proven exhaust could'nt be made. He was basically crucified, most said that they would never give up quality for a cheaper system.

Honestly, I would buy a mild steel copy of a muzzy and give up the weight and durabilty of stainless and aluminum, I have had many a dirt bike and atv exhaust that were'nt made of stainless and aluminum and they held up fine.

Most of us will not have our machines long enough to ever see a mild steel exhaust ever fail. I'm sure I will get a lot of negative feed back saying this, but its just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Let me throw my .02 in.

We made our own Rhino CDI's or had them made.

At first we sold to distributors, who sold to dealers who sold to customers.

So for that product to exist the manufacturer had to be paid, the person who designed and sold them to me had to be paid, I had to get paid, the distributor had to get paid and so did the dealer.

The product was $200 at first, later I took the distributor level out and instead of keeping that profit, I just dropped the price to $158.95 shipped people wanted to know why they were so cheap, what is wrong with them, same way they do Viper Winches now.

Now the funny part was I made some in red for another company and they didn't have our brother-in-law switch on them, they retailed for $225 and the same dealer had both ours and ours in red with no switch and sold more at $225 cause people thought they were better.

Most products are three stepped cause manufacturers just want to make, distribututors want to sell to a bunch of dealers and dealers sell to us.

Unless your make it yourself and sell it yourself then the is no way for the products to be cheap.

One guy can not sell enough of what he makes to justify it, he needs more people selling and then you have to add steps in it.

Everything you buy is like that.

Can of peas, farmer, packager, distrubutor and grocery store.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Todd, I totally understand what you have said, but in this case the market lines are already established, its just a matter of releasing a economy version of a proven exhaust, maybe I'm missing something, I don't proclaim to know your business and will not say that.

It seems there could be a so called "poor boys" version of a proven exhaust, not everyone wants or needs stainless and polished aluminum, again just my opinion. It seems with all the research and testing done, why not try to make the most profit off your work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lets look at this when you buy a new teryx for around 11 grand now go and try to buy all the parts to build one you have 50 grand what up with that? The dealer can sell you a new one for 11 grand and everybody is making money the factory the suppliers and the dealers but go and buy parts and they mark them up 5x what they cost them?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Its called a niche market, there are only so many of us, so to make a profit they have to charge so much to get back their research and costs, I understand that part.

But, once you have done that, why not offer a lower cost version, of course I am not a expert on marketing or manufactoring and there may be things I don't know or realize. Again, I am just asking a question, not attacking anyone.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a JOKE. This bumper is being sold by a competitor for 449.00. This bumper might cost 75.00 to build maybe 100.00. Our bumpers cost 350.00 and I will put ours up against this flimsy little tube any day.

This is theirs.

This is ours

·
Registered
630 Posts
This is not a pick up truck. Exhaust what maybe 6 feet of pipe pickup truck duel exhaust around 20 feet and 3 to 4 in size? I worked with Hmf on first the first treyx exhaust and they dont have anywhere near 800 in it. The problem is to many people in the money pot. The guy selling the exhaust pipe for 1... 2nd the company making it... 3rd shipping company...4ht the company you purchased from....5th the shipping company again. Everybody in this is making money along the way.
I guess you didn't get it... There are other industry that charge way toooo much for parts as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
this argument will never end.. deviant are you the same guy who made his own LT on teryxforums? that thread opened my eyes to the time and cost of building a suspension.
Yes I have been working on building my own garage fab long travel kit for about half a year now off and on. I saved some cash from buying one and had fun and learned allot doing it my self but truth is if building it wasn't half the fun for me their is no way it would be worth it. At this point Im into it about a grand and a shit ton of labor and not much to show for it.

I will say it again if this stuff could be built and sold for less then get a business plan together go to a bank and get a small business loan and make it happen. I feel you will find you cant do it any cheaper or better then places like UTV inc who push out allot of good stuff at a fair price for the low quantity they sell of it. And for the recored Im cheap poor or what ever you want to call it and haven't ever bought anything from UTV inc but I like the way they build american made stuff at what in my opinion is fair prices.

My ghetto long travel
Homemade Long Travel (the build thread) - Kawasaki Teryx Forum

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yes I have been working on building my own garage fab long travel kit for about half a year now off and on. I saved some cash from buying one and had fun and learned allot doing it my self but truth is if building it wasn't half the fun for me their is no way it would be worth it. At this point Im into it about a grand and a shit ton of labor and not much to show for it.

I will say it again if this stuff could be built and sold for less then get a business plan together go to a bank and get a small business loan and make it happen. I feel you will find you cant do it any cheaper or better then places like UTV inc who push out allot of good stuff at a fair price for the low quantity they sell of it. And for the recored Im cheap poor or what ever you want to call it and haven't ever bought anything from UTV inc but I like the way they build american made stuff at what in my opinion is fair prices.

My ghetto long travel
Homemade Long Travel (the build thread) - Kawasaki Teryx Forum
Well said... also if these parts were mass produced then prices can go down but when you make a run of 50 to 100 there is not that much of a price break. We both design and manufacture our parts and to be honest profit margins are thin...

DEV...

If you had to calculate your time spent at the cost of labor that 1K kit would be more then if you just got one off the shelf, but I am sure you had fuin building it. GOOD WORK!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts