Teryx HQ banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the process of installing light on my teryx and thought this might help others.

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
The power from the battery goes to the lights... the power from the fuse panel is for the indicator light and to switch the relay on. The switch sends power to the 85 terminal, which engergizes the coil inside the relay, which pulls the contacts from the normally closed state (terminal 87A) to the normally open state (terminal 87). Terminal 87 is connected to terminal 30 inside the relay. This sends the power to the fog lamps and stays locked in until you turn the switch off (de-energizing the coil and opening the circuit). Its just like turning a light switch on and off. Also, the indicator light would not last long connected straight to the battery without a fuse. Thus is why you would connect it to Keyed On only source in the fuse panel... just like the headlights. You can also buy a switch that has the light built into it for simplification and connect it like the diagram.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In the past on vehicles , I've always wired directly from a power source ( battery , fuse box , ect. ) . Without a relay . Is a relay an amp LIMITER suitable for the accesory being installed ? Or what purpose does a relay serve ? :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the past on vehicles , I've always wired directly from a power source ( battery , fuse box , ect. ) . Without a relay . Is a relay an amp LIMITER suitable for the accesory being installed ? Or what purpose does a relay serve ? :confused:
Since the lights are a big load (drain) and have to run through a switch... a relay is more suited to carry that load instead of the switch. The switch does not handle large power loads for very long and it does not take that much current to trigger the relay coil. I used to work for a relay company that supplied automotive companies. They use relays for everything (turn signals, windshield wipers, cooling fans, lights, etc.) They never direct wired a circuit that was a large load. I personally have not installed anything on my Teryx that has used relays yet... but I have also installed a separate battery (Optima yellow top) for large loads (stereo & winch). After reading the original post I will use them for any future additions. Does this help or thoroughly confuse?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry I'm still not understanding the relays purpose. Is it acting as a mini voltage/amp regulator with specified connections per say ?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Sorry I'm still not understanding the relays purpose. Is it acting as a mini voltage/amp regulator with specified connections per say ?
Why do I want to use a relay and do I really need to?

Anytime you want to switch a device which draws more current than is provided by an output of a switch or component you'll need to use a relay. The coil of an SPDT relay that we most commonly use draws very little current (less than 200 milliamps) and the amount of current that you can pass through a relay's common, normally closed, and normally open contacts will handle up to 30 or 40 amps. This allows you to switch devices such as headlights, parking lights, horns, etc., with low amperage outputs. In some cases you may need to switch multiple things at the same time using one output. A single output connected to multiple relays will allow you to open continuity and/or close continuity simultaneously on multiple wires.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ahhhh .... Thank you SXS . It finally sunk in . Guess I must have used some heavy switches in the past or was just real lucky...... :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts