Teryx HQ banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everybody I wanted to some of your alls opinions on building a 2 or 4 seat cage out of 1.5 inch schedule 40 anodized aluminum pipe. Im a TIG welder/fabricator for a living and I use this material daily. Personally I think it would be awesome, CNC bent, fully TIG'd, could add any kind of accessory and rigid. What do you guys think anyone interested?

·
Registered
282 Posts
todds custom billet builds an aluminum cage. very light. I'm not much of a fan tho. aluminum just isn't as strong as steel, and they tend to sheer more than bend like steel does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true however it depends on how the cage is designed, an aluminum cage could be made stronger than a steel one while saving weight

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's true however it depends on how the cage is designed, an aluminum cage could be made stronger than a steel one while saving weight
im not smart enough to discuss :D i do know that out of the hundreds of utv's and hundreds of off road races cars i have seen over the years, i have only seen one aluminum cage and that was on a "show" style rhino...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time to break the norm! Lol. I'm definitely building my own since the company I work for builds wakeboard towers with this pipe that withstand over 5 g's on a shaker table.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Time to break the norm! Lol. I'm definitely building my own since the company I work for builds wakeboard towers with this pipe that withstand over 5 g's on a shaker table.
What about a real life roll over test, a shakaer table is nice for a stress testing teh joints but need to have a real like impact test. Cool idea...

Just asking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep that was indeed the plan as well once it's finished right now we're going through a few different designs trying to decide which one to make our first prototype with

1 - 9 of 9 Posts