Teryx HQ banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Teryx about 1.5 years. Has 650 miles or 110 hours. My question is should I have the belt looked at or ride on another 500 miles and just replace it? I never had it adjusted or anything.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have had my Teryx about 1.5 years. Has 650 miles or 110 hours. My question is should I have the belt looked at or ride on another 500 miles and just replace it? I never had it adjusted or anything.
If you're just out cruising the trails and not abusing or driving a lot in the mud then I say you're probably okay just leaving it alone. You might just need to take the small shim out of the driven pulley.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am gonna run mine one more ride , then take it to a dealer to be checked. I still have stock tires , so I figure I am not loading it like it was moded. I am also gonna buy a cheap belt and keep in the tool kit for a little insurance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi
I don't think I would buy a cheap belt to carry. It is almost impossible to change the belt on the trail because you need to remove the primary clutch
using a puller. If I were going to take the plastic off and remove the fuel tank and all other things and you may need a air impact wrench to remove the clutches, I would do it in the garage when need and not take a chance on a slipping belt with 2000 miles or more on it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi
I don't think I would buy a cheap belt to carry. It is almost impossible to change the belt on the trail because you need to remove the primary clutch
using a puller. If I were going to take the plastic off and remove the fuel tank and all other things and you may need a air impact wrench to remove the clutches, I would do it in the garage when need and not take a chance on a slipping belt with 2000 miles or more on it.
No Kidding!! I was thinking the same thing, It's not like changing an old snowmobile belt out on the trail..

·
Registered
85 Posts
I removed the thin shim when I installed clutch kit and new belt. In gear the belt squeal a little but it don't slip. I don't think I will put it back in.:wave:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi
I've seen a belt replaced out in the middle of the desert with just hand tools. If you have a big screw driver you can separate the pulley enough to slip off the belt without taking off the drive or driven pulley. You do have to have 10 & 12 mm sockets, large screwdriver and maybe some pliers. It took about 2 hours to change out the belt.

·
Registered
722 Posts
First if it was me I would check the belt deflection in the garage and see how it is. I would rather change the belt early in the garage than in the desert. Now I have been told that to change a belt in the field the easiest way is to cut the old belt off and then you can use a screwdrive and roll the new belt on. I was at Unleashed the other day and Champ showed me a cover they had cut to make changing it easier. He said that they could change a belt in the dunes in about 20 minutes. I wish I would have gotten pictures but I didn't might have to stop back by.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts