Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is the second front diff seal to go bad:mad: whats the deal with these things?i had the dealer replace it the first time and it lasted 3 months and its leaking again now. do you have to take out the diff to replace it? anyone know the part number off hand?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
does the front diff have to come out to replace the seal?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i havent got it dynoed at all.i was spinning the tires in 2wd pretty good on the ice the other day.had it up to 72 for a few seconds,but i wouldnt think that would do it.wouldnt be any different than going 70 down the road i dont think?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what the trick to get the yoke off the diff?is there any way other than taking apart the ujoint?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help todd.on a side note i checked my buddies nra edition with 12 hours on it and there was oil on the bottom of his front diff seal also.i guess its a good thing i ordered 2 seals!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got my seal out without taking the ujoint apart.it slides right over it.the ujoint is pressed in.how did you get your ujoint apart Todd?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
On the front yoke itself, the one attached to the front diff, there are two clips on the inside on each side of the U-Joint right up against the yoke. You have to remove those clips then push the shaft to one side pushing the cup out then the other but be careful when you get the cups out, they have needle bearings in them that will fall out.

The clips are hard to see if the ends are not right there, you will have to find the end and turn it around toward the rear of the vehicle.

The U-Joint will stay in the drive shaft.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got confused. i understand how to take the ujoint apart,i thought you meant you had to take it apart to change the seal

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i guess ill find out today if its the big seal or the little seal,if my 2 new seals get here

·
Registered
266 Posts
so this is the second front diff seal to go bad:mad: whats the deal with these things?i had the dealer replace it the first time and it lasted 3 months and its leaking again now. do you have to take out the diff to replace it? anyone know the part number off hand?
Hey Puddle jumper,
FYI, My service mechanic has just informed me that my front seal was leaking so I told him to fix it since it is covered under my extended warranty. However, upon investigating he has told me that there is a bushing inside that was bad or had excess play and was causing the yoke to whobble which in turn caused the seal to leak. I am just passing on some info I have heard in case you continue to have this problem. Hopefully this will fix this repeating problem.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i can believe the yoke wobbling. where exactly is this bushing located?in the u joint or in the diff?

·
Registered
266 Posts
i can believe the yoke wobbling. where exactly is this bushing located?in the u joint or in the diff?
I believe he said the bushing is for the yoke just behind the seal,which means it must be in the front of the diff. I have not picked up my vehicle yet, but when I do, he said he will show me where it is on a schematic drawing. It must show it in the service manual drawings. I don't think he R&R my diff so it must not be that hard to replace. I'll post here to let you know something on Friday.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds good,thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
come to find out its the little seal leaking and not the big one.how big of a hammer do you need to get the pressed u joint apart?

·
Registered
266 Posts
come to find out its the little seal leaking and not the big one.how big of a hammer do you need to get the pressed u joint apart?
Hey puddle jumper,
Just to follow up. The brass bushing that was bad is pressed inside the front coupler. The shop just replaced the whole coupler and also the seals. So hopefully this will fix the problem, as long as my dyno days are over. I am taking it out on Sunday for a one day desert test run. I just had the Dalton clutch & cover installed also so I want to see how she does.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the follow up.im going to tear my ujoint apart tomorrow and replace the small seal as u already put a new big one in and see how long that lasts before i replace the whole coupler

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
got the little seal out and found brass all over,guess my bushing is bad also.

now i cant get the yoke off.i got the ujoint apart and the nut off and the small seal out.how does the coupler come off? also can you buy just the bushing?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts