Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done just about everything remotely possible to try to cure the midrange miss im having with the dynatek CDI. Ive tried dynojet jet kit, hunterworks jet kit, air lid off, tpi valves, exhaust tip on/off, fuel screws out 1 turn, 2 turns, 3 turns, slide needle on clip 1-5...intentionally used mains about 20 sizes too large and some 10 sizes too small for what is recommended. Ive tried 3 different dynatek boxes...all have the same outcome has the miss and sputter at midrange...The only cure ive found so far is using the stock CDI box..it absolutley cures the problem but the lack of top speed and performance is worthless. Ive tried the air fuel meter. everything is spot on. while i have the miss and sputter the meter shows each cylinder to be within measurements. I think i read somewhere where the dynatek hot coils will eliminate this miss with a hotter spark. Not looking for more performance just wanna get rid of the miss i have at speeds of about 12-30 mph

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I have the Dynatek coils and when they were tuning my motor even made mention of the fact that I have no miss. Now, others have stated they do nothing, therefore, I am only telling you what I have been told by the motor builder who tuned my motor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
diesel...dont know if i interpret your response...i guess what your saying is that your motor builder was having the miss on your teryx and then installed the coils and it went away??

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Kinda, we installed the coils prior to them tuning and running on the dyno. After they built the motor and then put it on the dyno to tune, they mentioned that there was no miss.

Could this be contributed to jetting, sure, could this be contributed to the coils, sure, all I am stating is that they did in fact mention we had no mid range miss like others they have done, therefore, we attributed it to the coils since those were the first time they saw them installed on a Teryx.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
diesel...anyway you can find out from your builder if they had any other customers that the coils fixed the miss? id hate to spend 150$ and they do nothing..

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Sure I will see what I can find out for you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sometimes we have a group of 10-30 bikes and they all creap along at mid range speeds..just wanna try to get it running best i can

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I am not trying to force you into anything, I can only report what our motor builder mentioned. I will admit that I do take his word on it, since he brought it up and really had nothing to gain by saiying it did or did not work.

If you do end up trying it out, please share your experience with it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked back over my notes in my notebook which i jot down different things after different jet settings. Before i installed the Hunterworks carb kit i wrote down that the miss occured only at speeds between 8-21 mph..that was with stock needles, stock main jets, 2 turns on each screw....

after installing the hunterworks kit which had different springs, different mains, drilling holes in the diaphrams, 2 turns out, and installing the TPi valves...the miss is between 8-32 mph...

figuring i was lean i went 3 turns on the screws...made the miss more frequent at speeds of 8-32...

bottom line is that with either setup hunterworks carb kit or basic stock setup out of the crate from the dealership, that when the dyantek was installed it developed the miss...the gains from the hunterworks carb kit is totally worth the money..

So advancing the timing does that usually lead to a leaner condition?

My friend has a bone stock teryx with hmf dual slip on pipes..He did nothing to the jetting after installing the exhaust. Once he installed the dynatek box the miss began for him.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ive done just about everything remotely possible to try to cure the midrange miss im having with the dynatek CDI. Ive tried dynojet jet kit, hunterworks jet kit, air lid off, tpi valves, exhaust tip on/off, fuel screws out 1 turn, 2 turns, 3 turns, slide needle on clip 1-5...intentionally used mains about 20 sizes too large and some 10 sizes too small for what is recommended. Ive tried 3 different dynatek boxes...all have the same outcome has the miss and sputter at midrange...The only cure ive found so far is using the stock CDI box..it absolutley cures the problem but the lack of top speed and performance is worthless. Ive tried the air fuel meter. everything is spot on. while i have the miss and sputter the meter shows each cylinder to be within measurements. I think i read somewhere where the dynatek hot coils will eliminate this miss with a hotter spark. Not looking for more performance just wanna get rid of the miss i have at speeds of about 12-30 mph

Here is my 2 cents. The coils help on my set up.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Can't say for sure if the coils fixed mine, I know it starts and fires over easier...especially in the cold. I changed my needle settings (moved to second clip) and added the coils at same time, so one of the two fixed mine, they miss I was getting sounded more like a decel popping around 20-30 mph, when I inquired about it before, somebody suggested moving to the #40 pilot jets.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes teerrible thats what the sound mine is making..its a popping miss kinda sound as long as you keep the throttle steady at a certain mid rpm..

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just another note, I know trying to save money, but the A/F gauge is nice.
Something else I now remember, whenever I replaced the coils and adjusted needles, I did still have this miss or timing spot interference or whatever it was but it moved to about 18-23 mph in high. That weekend I did the breather box mod where I removed the vent tube and plugged the air box hole, funny but...seems like it was really then when I noticed this problem went away. You have my sympathy....I know this jetting, and getting it just right drove me absolutely NUTS...and now here I am back at square one....:D

I remember somebody else describing this problem...in fact I think 2 other members said they bought cdi's that had some kinda short in them(?), got new cdi's and the problem went away, might be that also?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes i have already did the teryx siphon break mod which prevents the oil in the airbox problem. I have also tried 3 non programmable dynateks and also tried a programmable dynatek box . the programmable one had 4 different settings. dont remember if it was setting 1 or 4 on the programmable cdi but the miss went away on one of the settings just like putting the stock cdi back in. I guess im gonna go out on a limb and try the coils.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
guys is it possible that the dynatek needs more voltage to operate properly than say the stock CDI? My teryx cranks with plenty of juice after a weekend of sitting. Now that i think back, I have the miss at least a more noticeable miss at night while riding with headlights on. Also this past weekend the miss seemed to get worse but i did install a overhead cd player with 4 marine speakers. Before while riding during the day with no stereo and no headlights the miss still happens but not as frequent...Im gonna try a optima red top out of my truck to see what happens. may not be getting sufficient power for the stock coils. Any of you guys that dont have the miss and have a dynatek box, do you have a different battery?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
dbmachine,

I don't think the battery will help. If the theory you have is the issue then the problem is what is called brown our voltage. It is the point where the CDI does not send a signal to the plug.

Tell you what, call me I have a idea but don't want to put it on here until we see if it works.

601-626-7449

Todd

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
found a company that will let me demo the dyna hot coils to see if the cure the miss...will report back soon

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Excellent, let us know if that cures it for you or you atleast noticed a difference :good:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts